Core units and Selective Units difference (1 Viewer)

Wisteria0

HSC
Hi so I'm doing a science degree and I'm confused between the core science units and the selective units for my major.

:confused:
---
Also another question:

I've selected Japanese Studies as part of my Advanced Studies degree, however when I tried to allocate the units it responded with an error: "Prohibition: HSC Japanese Continuers, or HSC Japanese Beginners, or HSC Japanese Background Speakers, or JPNS1113 or JPNS1114, or JPNS1111, or HSC Japanese Extension"

I did study Japanese Beginners during my HSC... does that mean I cannot select this degree as a whole?

Last edited:

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi so I'm doing a science degree and I'm confused between the core science units and the selective units for my major.
core science units would be 12 credit points of study in any of the science units from any of the fields (can be from other science fields not just your major). The selective units for your major are just the units that you choose that are from your major and cant be from any other science field apart from your major.
:confused:
---
Also another question:

I've selected Japanese Studies as part of my Advanced Studies degree, however when I tried to allocate the units it responded with an error: "Prohibition: HSC Japanese Continuers, or HSC Japanese Beginners, or HSC Japanese Background Speakers, or JPNS1113 or JPNS1114, or JPNS1111, or HSC Japanese Extension"

I did study Japanese Beginners during my HSC... does that mean I cannot select this degree as a whole?
You most likely selected Japanese 1 or JPNS1611 and in that case you wouldn't be allowed do to this unit of study since you have done Japanese Beginners and are exempt from doing it. This is actually a good thing it means you can skip this and just choose from the rest of the units of study. I'd suggest using this link as a guide, however I am not too sure of how much this will change as a result of it being part of a double degree. You can still do the whole degree, you just cant do JPNS1611 or any unit of study with prohibition of HSC Japanese Beginners.

Last edited:

Wisteria0

HSC
Hi! Thanks so much for replying and clearing things up for me! :)
As for the second question, when I tried to pick Japanese 2, it again responded with an error: "Prerequisites: JPNS1111 or JPNS1611" I'm not sure how to progress since I'm prohibited from doing JPNS1611...

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait a second what degree are you doing? Bachelor of arts/science?

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
Well anyways for semester 1 the only unit you have to or could choose is JPNS2611 you shouldn't be exempt from choosing this. I assume you would follow the junior-intermediate pathway based on this webpage: >Japanese Studies<. Just make sure to scroll down to the subheading that reads 'Example Pathways' with a bolded font reading 'The junior intermediate pathway'

Wisteria0

HSC
Hi, I'm doing a Bachelor of Science/ Advance Studies. When I was selecting my majors, I was allowed two pick two.

Wisteria0

HSC
It seems I can' t select JPNS2611 as yet again I'm met with another error,

"The selected unit does not meet the below course rule(s). You will need to select an alternative unit before continuing.
Prerequisites: (HSC Japanese Continuers, and 65% or more in HSC Japanese Beginners) or JPNS1121 or JPNS1612"

I'm sure I did receive a 65% or more in JAPBEG :/

And also I can't select JPNS2612 (Japanese 4) as I need prerequisites in JPNS2611 (Japanese 3 ). I don't even know what I can do haha.

///
Update: Thanks for the help! This has been solved.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)