Cost for HSC raw marks (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The raw marks are available at a reasonable cost $5.25 per subject but...the Ombudsmen also said Without the information..., no student or their representative is able to independently verify that the final marks a student is awarded are correct. They have no ability to independently scrutinise how a student’s final marks were calculated. ' so to ensure that all those who get their raw marks have this confidence they are insisting that a student also has a results check. The results check is an additional cost which is what is taking the cost up so much - this is to ensure that students who get their raw marks get the right marks as well.

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, $5.25 is reasonable and reflects the real cost of providing raw marks. This perhaps reinforces my point that the actual cost we have to pay is excessive. If we want raw marks under no circumstances do we only pay just $5.25. Thus to say they are 'available at at a reasonable cost of $5.25' is utterly false. They are not available for that reasonable price.

If you want only raw marks you should be able to get only raw marks. Linking them to a results check is completely unnecessary.

Parsonage and all the successful FOI applicants in the past were provided their raw marks without a clerical recheck. They are completely separate things with distinct reasons why you may want each of them.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Of course they are different things but the BOS also needs to ensure that students have confidence in the system so they are making sure that anyone who gets their raw marks actually gets the right marks and to do that they are insisting on a results check - that way no one who gets raw marks can say 'wait a minute my marks are wrong' - thus destroying the confidence in the system and the Ombudsman said that students need to have confidence in the system.

To me it would be far simpler if they only gave raw marks - cheaper for them as well - as they woudn't need all the people doing the aligning etc which costs thousands but ... no one would like to see the true number of people who get less than 50% on their exams.

K

khorne

The point is that it shouldn't cost 'a lot'. Reasonable cost recovery is fine, but it certainly should not cost this much for mere access to raw marks.

Read the ombudsman's report. You'll see why freedom of information and transparency of government processes is so essential. This is why it is vital that raw marks are offered on no more than a cost basis. It is clear that the Board is using cost to disuade students from exercising their rights to this information.

It's all about students having confidence that their results are accurate and transparency in how their results were arrived at. Otherwise the system is a 'black box' and you are forced to trust BOS 100%.

'Without the information..., no student or their representative is able to independently verify that the final marks a student is awarded are correct. They have no ability to independently scrutinise how a student’s final marks were calculated. '

"The OBOS scans into its system approximately 40 million individual marks in relation to students each year. There are numerous opportunities for something to go wrong. Parts of the process are performed by people; other parts involve computer manipulations of numerical information. No matter how robust the OBOS’s internal quality assurance processes, genuine errors and corruption are still possible, during any part of the process, but without transparency, no one outside the Board would be able to independently identify errors or even corruption'

"No student currently has enough information available to them to fully understand how the final results are produced. Changing the system so that those who wish to understand are given all of the information they need, will give ‘meaning’ to their raw marks and give clarity to their final results. Students benefit from having a better understanding of the process. The Board benefits from students being more confident in the reliability of the process and being able to appreciate how much care and thought has gone into its development."

"For the HSC to be effective, the students must have confidence in the system. Students engaging in this so-called ‘campaign’ are actually doing nothing more than wanting to understand why they were awarded their final results. For the reasons I have outlined, students should be given sufficient information to gain such an understanding. This does not seem too much to ask.."
You quote a lot of the report, but have no substance. All I am reading here is a resounding "I am poor" remark. In that case, don't invest in your raw marks with dat centaaaa link moniiiiiiiii!!!!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Under this does anyone know if it is possible to get raw marks + check in just one subject for example?

FTW

HSC
Ah well, I'm still going to probably pay the excessive amount for my raw marks, so I can see what I got, and help other people know the band cutoffs/aligning process.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Somebody FOI the cut-off documents

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Somebody FOI the cut-off documents
As in, "I want to know the cut-off for Band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 in each and every HSC exam?"

Can people do that? I thought we were requesting 'personal information' with our own marks, but... I'm not sure what this would fall under.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Why has no-one bothered to do this before? That'd be a great thing to get! You could probably get the whole lot for all subjects.
Didn't they deny some FOI applications when people had hsc marks on the cutoff in previous years?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Didn't they deny some FOI applications when people had hsc marks on the cutoff in previous years?
Most likely because the applications were poor and did not properly argue the reason for obtaining the documents. My application went through just fine - I wish I requested them.

2011_

HSC
I would certainly like to obtain my raw marks but if it is going to cost well over $100 I think that is out of reach for me and my family. It is unfortunate, but I guess those of us in this position just have to accept that we won't be able to get ours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)