Cost of a double degree (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
I thought I already posted this thread but when you do a double degree, say commerce/maths does this mean you pay double?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Not double. You'll study for an extra 1-2 years so yes you have to pay for those extra courses.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I thought I already posted this thread but when you do a double degree, say commerce/maths does this mean you pay double?
Umm not sure on that degree in particular, but I read in one of those uni booklets that if you're studying a combined degree you have to pay for both degrees.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
lol no.

Say if it is another year.

You will pay for that year, that is you will pay for every course.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Umm not sure on that degree in particular, but I read in one of those uni booklets that if you're studying a combined degree you have to pay for both degrees.
Oh yes, you pay for both degrees - but you pay per subject, iirc. So really... no change except the extra length of a double degree means you just pay for more courses.

Bobbo1

HSC
whoops sorry i thought it got deleted or i forgot to create thread or something...

enoilgam

HSC
Oh yes, you pay for both degrees - but you pay per subject, iirc. So really... no change except the extra length of a double degree means you just pay for more courses.
This, you pay per subject. Remember, most combined degrees dont have the same amount of units as they would if you did them seperately, so you often dont pay "double"

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
commerce/maths (4 years) might even be cheaper than straight commerce (3 years).

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Maths is way, way cheaper than Commerce. If doing Maths/Commerce means you end up doing less commerce courses than you would in a straight BCom, it could actually be cheaper overall.

Bobbo1

HSC
oic, so would each course be a quarter of the yearly fee, say for commerce isnt it like 9000 per year - so for each course it would 2250?

izzy88

HSC
the price is per subject, not per year. When they give the price per year (eg. $9000 per year for commerce, they are estimating it on 8 commerce subjects a year).

Commerce/law is in the highest band, last time i looked they were about $1080 per subject. Arts subjects are about $600 per subject. Not sure how much other subjects are.

So for me doing 4th year straight law at the moment, I am paying about (well putting on hecs) around $8,500.

However in third year when I did 3 law subjects over the year, and 5 arts subjects it cost about $6240. Or thereabouts.

This is my 5th year at uni, and I have another year to go (I did honours). To be honest, I just don't look at my hecs debt statements anymore. It's best just to not worry about them (well since there's nothing I can do about it anyway). Otherwise its just a bit too depressing.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
the price is per subject, not per year. When they give the price per year (eg. $9000 per year for commerce, they are estimating it on 8 commerce subjects a year).

Commerce/law is in the highest band, last time i looked they were about $1080 per subject. Arts subjects are about $600 per subject. Not sure how much other subjects are.

So for me doing 4th year straight law at the moment, I am paying about (well putting on hecs) around $8,500.

However in third year when I did 3 law subjects over the year, and 5 arts subjects it cost about $6240. Or thereabouts.

This is my 5th year at uni, and I have another year to go (I did honours). To be honest, I just don't look at my hecs debt statements anymore. It's best just to not worry about them (well since there's nothing I can do about it anyway). Otherwise its just a bit too depressing.
LOL that piece of paper that they send each semester probably gets ignored by students everywhere....

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
oic, so would each course be a quarter of the yearly fee, say for commerce isnt it like 9000 per year - so for each course it would 2250?
Science is classified a national priority & these courses receive the greatest subsidy from the govt. Go here to see how they work it all out for csps:

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/F...upportForYourPlaceAndHECS-HELP/WhatYouPay.htm -

this page shows your contribution & how much the govt contributes. Eg : my son does Engineering/Physics & in 1st semester next year he is only doing one Engineering Course - or 0.125 EFTSL = $8050 x 0.125 = $1006.25, and the remaining 0.375 EFTSL for the semester are Physics courses = $4520 x 0.375 = $1695. This is a total HECS of $2701.25 for 2012 Semester One (the government pays $7991.50). Had he been taking 4 Engineering courses his HECS bill would be $4025 (& the government pays $7991.50 again**) .

** If he was taking maths intead of physics, the govt contributions would be $4571 for the semester - this is due to the comparatively higher cost of resources required to teach the other sciences such as physics.

If you are still confused, referring to the website I gave above should clear things up. Cheers

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)