Costello to remain after next election (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Higgins Liberals have told VEXNEWS that their local Member of Parliament Peter Costello has made it clear he will be running again in the blue-ribbon seat. This will fuel speculation he plans to return to the Liberal leadership.

A loyal Costello lieutenant operating in the area said on condition of anonymity:

“He’s made it quite clear there’s no vacancy in Higgins and no prospect of any vacancy in Higgins. With Rudd doing his best to impersonate Gough Whitlam’s overseas travel and overblown spending, Costello is clearly the best credentialed man in Australia to take him on and win it (government) back. And of course he wants to be Leader, it’s his destiny, mate.”

They thought it unlikely Costello would challenge for the leadership prior to the next election saying that Turnbull “would be given every chance” but that “many Liberals have written off 2010 as too hard.”

“Rudd thinks he can spend his way out of recession. It’s not going to work but that probably won’t be clear for a couple of years. Then with deficits at their peak and an economy in the toilet, we will turn to Costello to lead us from the wilderness,” the well-placed source said.

We have carefully monitored the views of Kroger and Costello supporters within Higgins in the past few months and this is by far the most confident they have sounded for a very long time about Costello being leader, as they always hoped and planned.

Many thought Costello needlessly oversold his announced departure after the 2007 election and blamed his missus for pressuring him.

“He had a lot of pressure from home to get out and - in a moment of weakness - relented. But he wouldn’t be running again without Tania’s blessing and he’s definitely running again. As the world economy has cratered, it’s become clearer to them that there could be a huge window of opportunity for them,” the source considered close to the family explained.

“Look at his performances in the House and on television recently. He’s clearly the best weapon in our arsenal. If Turnbull can’t win, Costello will. Just wait and see.”

The Victorian Liberal hierarchy will open nominations for Higgins within the next couple of months with an outside chance it could be deferred til later in the year. A Costello announcement could put pressure on Turnbull’s leadership unless it is handled carefully. It will also potentially cause Costello to need to re-evaluate his decision not to accept a front-bench role.

It could also create opportunities for the government, political insiders say, because it will assist Rudd in linking the Liberals with the policies and mistakes of the Howard government.
VEXNEWS | STICKING AROUND: Peter Costello will run again in Higgins with leadership baton in his knapsack

Very good news for Coalition prospects in 2012/13.

spiny norman

HSC
Very good news for Coalition prospects in 2012/13.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, given Costello being such a turd of a man who is hated by the electorate.

At the very least, it's terrible news for Coalition prospects in 2009/10.

Gerald10

HSC
Hell probably try and take the leadership just before an election - Hawke style.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I wouldn't be so sure of that, given Costello being such a turd of a man who is hated by the electorate.

At the very least, it's terrible news for Coalition prospects in 2009/10.
He has economic credibility though and people know he's a safe pair of hands, which I think may override their distaste for him given things are still getting worse.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Can never understood why people despise Costello so much. Even in political circles.

Is it because he is obviously intellectually superior than both the majority of the electorate and in parliament that he comes across as smug?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I don't think people hate him. They're unfamiliar with him, and would like to get to know him better.

Personally I think he's evil. Someone ought to drop an anvil on his head.

Lentern

HSC
Can never understood why people despise Costello so much. Even in political circles.

Is it because he is obviously intellectually superior than both the majority of the electorate and in parliament that he comes across as smug?
There are a number of reasons why people don't like Costello...now. He'd enjoy far more popularity as party leader. He does have a bit of a know it all attitude about him which is pretty unattractive when the liberal party is still suffering from the longevity of their previous stint in government. He has allways been less willing to bite his tongue and placate different groups in the electorate, in particular the racists but don't worry once he's leader he will get alot of positive press attention for his "moral stand". There's also alot of questioning his loyalty to Howard and the Howard fans are a bit resentful of him making fairly clear that he thought he could do a better job.

Deputies are famous but unknown, he'll get the press attention to tell his real story, lots of stuff about his days at Monash university and the dollar sweets case will be told and told in an endearing way. About a month into the Rudd government I wrote down on a piece of paper and dated it that Costello would be the countries next liberal prime minister, I might get that framed now.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I'd only vote for Tim Costello

Lentern

HSC
Depends if Costello is willing to stick it out for another three or four years. I think its increasingly, depressingly obvious that Labor will get a second term. Money (bribery) talks.
Oh I think he'd be happy to. I can't help the feelign his really enjoying the way his colleagues are scrambling about trying to find the antidote to being a new opposition against a competent government.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I read in the Australian today that party heavyweights (so I assume Minchin) have told Costello and other members of the Howard team who moved to the backbench to either put up, and consider moving back to the frontbench, or shut up, and not contest their safe seats for the next election and regenerate the party.

The best scenario for the Liberal Party would be for Turnbull to stand down, take a plum position, probably Treasury, let Costello lead. Key positions need to be sorted out. Minchin is wasted in communications - put him back in defence. Let Coonan do communications - a monkey could do a better job than Conroy, so potshots on internet censorship should be within her scope. Foreign Affairs needs to be sorted out. Perhaps Robb could take it up. Again, he is wasted in infrastructure.

Of course, this won't happen overnight, but it is necessary if the Liberal Party have any, any chance at the next election. Turnbull's ego matches Costello's so he won't go easily or without reward. It really does need to be a bloodless coup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)