• We need YOUR help for the next generation of students! Upload your notes and exams on our Notes & Resources page!

Creative Responses (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
Joined
Jul 28, 2002
Messages
2,901
Location
Hurstville
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2002
Ok.. I can't be bothered reading all your posts about this.

I did postmodernism and this is my technique for writing a Successful Creative Response.

Firstly, know your capability at writing creatively under pressure, and know your exam technique. Decide whether you want to write it first or last (or not at all.. haha!) - preferably after you've read the question. Know how much you can write in the time you're given and stick to that. DO NOT go off on some grand narrative if you DO NOT HAVE THE TIME.

Creative responses are interesting in many contexts because you can both ramble about the knowledge you've gained as well as applying it to show how it can be used. For Postmodernism this involves using postmodern techniques to talk about postmodern techniques; using postmodern techniques to illustrate a point; talking about postmodern theorists, etc. For Crime Fiction I would assume you use Crime Fiction stereotypes, plot techniques etc. to emphasise your understanding of the topic.

Don't go too far off track. Decide on a simple premise. For example, they may ask you to write a conversation between two characters from two texts you've studied. That doesn't mean you have to stick to those two characters, but decide on a way to develop the plot so it doesn't get too complicated but doesn't stagnate. Introduce theorists to talk about their work if you like.

Refer to your related texts. It may not be specifically requested but you will not lose any marks by showing that you've done some research and know what the results of your research implies.

Finally, don't stress about it being creative. Creativity means putting theory in a fairytale. If you can't think of any ideas go back to the core concepts of your module and express them using fictional (or real) characters, situations, places, etc. Use established ideas if you must. Create a different context for those ideas - rather than lumping them in an essay, put them on a plane to Uzbekhistan(sp?).

Hope your last minute study is going well ;)
 

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Messages
4,187
Location
The Shire
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
I did Crime Fiction, and to follow on from anti, here is my comments on creative tasks:

In CF you need to use the convensions in your response. This means that you should try and apply some of the techniques you have learnt about this year. DO NOT be overly cliched, it will not be apprieciated. Also, do not copy old ideas, orginality is always required ...
 

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
Joined
Nov 7, 2002
Messages
4,329
Location
Back in the USSR
Gender
Female
HSC
2003
Im going to do a classic cosy crime one--have the rain beating down somewhere isolated, a report of a serial killer on the loose etc etc...I don't think you can really go wrong.
Mind you, I haven't read snow...
 

Daemontreu

What.
Joined
Apr 6, 2003
Messages
505
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
N/A
Snow is mind-numbing.

Especially when, out of your friends, you pick that one (without having read it before) to go through and find quotes... :chainsaw:

Edit: My set story is modern, but a bit noirish as well...
 
Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
4,269
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2003
I did I&S, and for creative responses I MADE SURE that I was addressing 19th century paradigm (ways of thinking) in my response. You will really lose marks if you don't make sure you incorporate the ways of thinking that you have studied. Sometimes it can be so tempting to neglect this as you get absorbed into your writing, because sometimes the question may be general enough to forget about this.

In I&S you don't have to use conventions of certain genres like you do in other electives, so you can really be creative. If you are writing a piece from a 19th century "voice" however make sure you use appropriate language and register. For example, if you were writing diary entries from the perspective of Mr Bennet, you would need to write in the way he "speaks".

Hope this helps!
 

shelley

trouble maker
Joined
Sep 10, 2003
Messages
618
Location
in front of a computer most likely...
Gender
Female
HSC
2003
well i did Revenge tragedy but this advice will work for anyone doing a genre study
1) know your conventions...but also know which ones your strong on and don't fall into cliches were possible...like in revenge tradgedy sexual pecularities are a convention, but only use it if it has something to add to your story..if not your just sabotaging yourself.
2) It doesn't hurt to have a story prepared...spend sometime developing characters and a story line..it can only help in the long run
3) Use the techniques youve been studying...you spend all this time in english studying how the composers use certain techniques to convey certain messages and convention...and the y tend to be similar...THERES A GOOD REASON FOR THIS!!!!! You would do well to copy them!
 
T

Tyler

Guest
where ae the past papers like band e4 and stuff of ext hsc exams?
 

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Messages
4,187
Location
The Shire
Gender
Male
HSC
2002
Originally posted by Tyler
where ae the past papers like band e4 and stuff of ext hsc exams?
The standards package. Your school should have a copy.
 

aLeeOh!

about to explode
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
538
Location
where the grass is greener
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2004
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
I did I&S, and for creative responses I MADE SURE that I was addressing 19th century paradigm (ways of thinking) in my response. You will really lose marks if you don't make sure you incorporate the ways of thinking that you have studied. Sometimes it can be so tempting to neglect this as you get absorbed into your writing, because sometimes the question may be general enough to forget about this.

In I&S you don't have to use conventions of certain genres like you do in other electives, so you can really be creative. If you are writing a piece from a 19th century "voice" however make sure you use appropriate language and register. For example, if you were writing diary entries from the perspective of Mr Bennet, you would need to write in the way he "speaks".

Hope this helps!
grrr... thank you for the advice... seriously, coz im doing I&S.. but after heaing your advice... its seriously made me realise.. oh crap.. i might not be able to do that!! i mean. i probably could... BUT I DONT WANT TOOOOOOOOOOOO:(
oh! lizzy suckz
darcy's a stupid dick who gets his thrills everytime he sees water
bingly's a superficial pimp whos fallen for a dumb blonde who he thinks resembles a classical greek goddess wheninactual fact its more close to a greek version of me ed!!
GRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
 

aLeeOh!

about to explode
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
538
Location
where the grass is greener
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2004
hmmm.......
sorry boutthat.,....
but you know what?
i feel much much bettter now thank you!
hey, do you think i could just like, rip apart the 19th century text? hmm... i like ripping stuff apart....
 

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
Joined
May 29, 2003
Messages
4,219
Location
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2004
lmao aLeeOh! I know we're all gonna get sick of P&P by the end of the year, but at the moment Darcy is still quite enticing. As for creative responses, I just did my half yearly. We had to write either a TV or Radio script (Radio is easier) and interview two composers on how events in the C19th influenced their works...or something along those lines. Now I'm really hoping I wrote enough of what braindrained Ash says. Woops!
 

aLeeOh!

about to explode
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
538
Location
where the grass is greener
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2004
hmm... social paradigms...
i guess the context of the text can be overlooked quite easily... im always kicking myself when i do that. but i mean..
what do you say bout P&P? its context being....?
and how would you place it in an essay? like.. i know their ways of thinking is different and the whole individual vs society... but, its just confusing trying to put them all together and make sure they make sense!
 

snot

Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Messages
95
hey does any one have any suggestions on a story of hard boiled crime fiction. like on techniques to use and possible story ideas
 

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
1,834
Location
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
Gender
Female
HSC
2004
aLeeOh! said:
hmm... social paradigms...
i guess the context of the text can be overlooked quite easily... im always kicking myself when i do that. but i mean..
what do you say bout P&P? its context being....?
and how would you place it in an essay? like.. i know their ways of thinking is different and the whole individual vs society... but, its just confusing trying to put them all together and make sure they make sense!
The mistake people make with pride and prejudice is addressing the text as if it was Austen's original. its not - it is a (20th film and the composer is Simon Langton. Yes, you DO need to talk about how it addresses (19th social paradigms, but you also need to talk about how Langton uses modern film techniques to put a (20th critique on it - he is quite clearly criticising (19th marriage ideals, adds sexual tension, slight marxist reading etc.
 

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
Joined
May 29, 2003
Messages
4,219
Location
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2004
silvermoon said:
The mistake people make with pride and prejudice is addressing the text as if it was Austen's original. its not - it is a (20th film and the composer is Simon Langton. Yes, you DO need to talk about how it addresses (19th social paradigms, but you also need to talk about how Langton uses modern film techniques to put a (20th critique on it - he is quite clearly criticising (19th marriage ideals, adds sexual tension, slight marxist reading etc.
But if you're asked to draw on a character from your prescribed text and you choose Elizabeth, how do u distinguish between the Elizabeth from Austen's novel and Elizabeth from Langton's film??? Like the "How Dare You" question from last years paper (I think)...if you speak from Lizzie's POV how do you show that it's from langton's text?

GGRRRR! So confused! :(
 

derek_

Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
175
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
shelley said:
well i did Revenge tragedy but this advice will work for anyone doing a genre study
1) know your conventions...but also know which ones your strong on and don't fall into cliches were possible...like in revenge tradgedy sexual pecularities are a convention, but only use it if it has something to add to your story..if not your just sabotaging yourself.
2) It doesn't hurt to have a story prepared...spend sometime developing characters and a story line..it can only help in the long run
3) Use the techniques youve been studying...you spend all this time in english studying how the composers use certain techniques to convey certain messages and convention...and the y tend to be similar...THERES A GOOD REASON FOR THIS!!!!! You would do well to copy them!
this just about summarises what i've learnt the entire year lol :D for a year i thought i was learning the wrong stuff, yay my doubts have been quashed!
 

d_a_n_z

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2004
Messages
118
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2005
There are past HSC papers...but once youve done them i havnt been able to find other questions :(
Wondering - im doing postmodernism; am i required to refer to theorists if i am doing a creative narrative? Because my teacher seemed to imply that they are only really looking for postmodern techniques, like i dont have to "analyse" my work?
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top