Creative Writing: Ideas And Techniques (1 Viewer)

tinkerbell

Creative writing

Has anyone got any ideas for a creative writing piece on change??
just general suggestions of what i can write a story on?

Thanx heaps xoxo

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
for my trial i did a monologue of a man reflecting on his youth, looking back on his mistakes as a teenager that led to fatal consequences, through abuse of drugs and alchol...the ending comes back to the present day, where he describes his current life as a drug and alcohol educator to school childern, etc etc u get the picture

cliched and unoriginal...but hey, i had 30 mins to think it up and write it :p

Fradam

Tall man
HSC
For my Trial, I wrote a story about a guy who had lost his parents a year ago and was reflecting upon the change he had undergone in the previous 12 months. Used a recurring symbol (egg shell) that depicted the change, and gradually introduced detail of context as the story moved along, which were the 2 things our English HT told us we should try and incorporate.

Overall, very happy with it for 20mins of work :)

ShirLz

Re: Creative writing

Originally posted by tinkerbell
Has anyone got any ideas for a creative writing piece on change??
just general suggestions of what i can write a story on?

Thanx heaps xoxo

hehehe the one i wrote for my trial was real weird - it was supposed to b a funny, short story - so i took funny as weird - about an old man who's alone in his big house [recurrent theme of how the stained glass of the windows in his house allows him to c outside world, but the passerby is not interesed in seein his world] - well anywayz, the old man refuses to change so he has like the coffins of his loved ones in his livin room - w/ their photos lovingly arranged on top of them...ends same way it began to show lack of change

look, it said funny - so i was like :confused: besides, for 15mins, it was pweetty good - i got 14/15 for dat section - pity i failed john donne in the other section - i knew i forgot sthg :D

Dumbarse

whats this recurring symbol stuff ive never heard of it??!!, do we need it in creatice writing to get good marks?
could someone give me an example of one so i understand what it is and how it is used please

Christine

beige member
HSC
well i'm did a story about how this girl goes to see her father in jail.. like cause shes forgiven him and accepted its time to move on and it just shows her reflecting on past experiences on her way there and her self realisation that shes changed...
i dunno, theres so many ways i could change and adapt this around. its basic and it works...(without boring the marker)

ShirLz

Originally posted by Winston
can some one plz post a sample of their first paragraphs
i got a test on it soon
and im not too keen on starting it off generally
but the rest i know how to BS on about
but just getting it started for the intro is a toughy

He sat staring out of the glaze stained windows, so far removed from the world to be devoid of emotion at its boisterous nature of those around him. The passerby walked by, unaware of his gaze, too caught up perhaps in the piles of bills waiting at home, or the loved one whose gaze impatiently sought their arrival. Sighing inwardly, he started - annoyed for getting caught up in this impulsive reverie. The stained mirror on the wall catches his reflection - his wrinkled skin belied the passing of time, the eyes a story of eras bygone, the heart a stony tale of change

P.S. the story's called The Living Morgue

;) ;) :D

roo

HSC
Originally posted by ShirLz

He sat staring out of the glaze stained windows, so far removed from the world to be devoid of emotion at its boisterous nature of those around him. The passerby walked by, unaware of his gaze, too caught up perhaps in the piles of bills waiting at home, or the loved one whose gaze impatiently sought their arrival. Sighing inwardly, he started - annoyed for getting caught up in this impulsive reverie. The stained mirror on the wall catches his reflection - his wrinkled skin belied the passing of time, the eyes a story of eras bygone, the heart a stony tale of change

P.S. the story's called The Living Morgue

;) ;) :D
wooow.. thats really good! do u do ext. 2??

ShirLz

it's like a common theme or motif or symbol or sthg that runs through your piece of writin...da purpose is to show your creativity i guess :D

for example, c the piece of writin above - the recurring theme is that of stained windows or glass or mirrors - so the old guy in the house is removed from the activity, physically removed in that the glass or the window or the mirror makes him a third person & alienates him...and the recurrent use of stained would probably mean that everything round him is stained or scarred in his eyes because he can't seem to accept to change..

hope that helped!:)

My lovE u take mY brEath AwaY...What havE u Stepped in to Make u smELL diS waY? :p

Dumbarse

ok kool, thanx shirlz

i'm still not 100% sure on it but, what would be another example?
does recurring symbol mean u continually state it or what?? does it develop and does the recurring symbol relate to change ?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Well, the reccurring symbol doesn't have to relate to change so much, depending on what you write.
Continually having a line referring back to the symbol every now and then would be the idea, and try changing it a little each time, like the Blade Runner film where Deckard listenss to the first VK test but the details constantly change a little...

(that could be a part of changing perspectives, but I digress)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
The reason to include one is to 'boost marks'. The recurring symbol becomes part of the 'change' stuff and the teacher reads into that and says 'this is deep and meaningful'. Putting a good one in is very beneficial, in my opinion.
Okay, I think that we're all saying a bit of different kinds of recurring symbols...
Shirlz was using the meanings of 'stained' to describe everything around one person throughout the story to create a link. Think of 'stained' as "dirty", "marked", "contaminated", etc. The stained window is also reflected in the old man, he's old, and marked with the age of sitting there hundreds of years, staring at passerbys. He is also depicting an ancient tale that none today would be bothered to hear,

I'm thinking of a purely physical object, like a tree, and I change my perspective of it (spur of the moment, just read Sky High again):

The first time, it towered over you, like a twisted giant, reaching for the clouds. Its leaves rustled quietly in the wind, as the comforting shade gave cool respite while you played at its foot.

The second time, the longer, afternoon shadow gave the tree a surprisingly spooky light. Its bough appeared gnarled, hiding speakable terrors behind its formerly welcome embrace. The leaves, still rustling, left patchy images on the ground, taunting your imagination.

The third time. The bark feels, rather... barky. Or so your aching palms tells you. Step by step, you move towards your own everest. The sound of brittle leaves upsets a bird that was on the branch above you. The patchy coverage, once a nuisance, now give you a leverage over the unsuspecting neighbours at whom you spy upon.

Would that help a little?
And jayjay, to gain first requires sacrifice. I read too much, and discovered soccer too late. I really don't know how to crash learn creative writing, so my bet is to nick one and learn it.

Dumbarse

thanx for the help

so its pretty much just an object or figure that u relate your story around, and it changes through the story, sorta thing!?

should it be a direct relation, like should your story relate to the recurring symbol, or is it just used say a few times trough your story, noting its change??

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
That'd be your choice.

I personally prefer the latter, and relate the object metaphorically to the main subject of the story. Both it and the main subject develops simultaneously.

No charge.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
you guys have good stories.....very creative! :)
i guess the worst thing that anyone could write about would be the HSC year...and how stuff changed in year 12....whatever you do don't write about that!!! .....or so i've been told.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
eLmo: Your teacher warned you against writing about year 12, but did he/she specify not to write about the HSC, and other stuff relating to school?
What about changes not relating to school but yet affected your life this year??
I know, I'm skirting the edges of this warning, but I do have a good inspiration...

sway

hmm.... i don't think i would measure up to the rest of the state in the commons story.... i think i gain my marks best for my wacky perspectives on life...

PS: wanna help me beat you in physics?
:p (you would need a lifetime)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)