Crime dot point (1 Viewer)

mememe

I've been doing legal all year and i've never ever noticed this dot point...

-Assessing the efficiency and the effectiveness of various forms of legal measures in achieving justice through researching a current criminal justice issue

Does anyone have an issue they have researched? Do i need to find one fast? I hope there's not a question on it like the human rights issue they often ask for in law and society.

connie

HSC
N/A
its in the crime syllabus yeh? my teacher gave my class notes on juries and said here's your criminal justice issue read these... i dont even know where they are!!! there hasn't been a question on it so far in tha past two years... it would have to be in the crime section and seeing as in crime you have to relate to the stimulus i doubt we would get a question on it... but if anyone does know what it is asking i would be interested in knowing too!

meh

yeah an issue like mandatory sentencing

its not that important at all but perhaps something that aids you as an exaple of effectiveness of the law

mememe

So i choose a criminal justice issue and research the legal measures relating to it? What would be a good issue? For example, with the mandatory sentencing suggested issue, what are the legal measures?

2late

We had an assessment task on a criminal justic issue. I researched bail and how the granting of bail may have become too lenient.

There's quite a lot of information on this issue as it has been in the media a lot this year and there are also amendments being made to the legislation to keep up with the changes in society's views on the issue.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yep mandatory sentencing is a good issue, you can highlight how this is contrary to the separation of powers and how this in itself is a justice issue (the legislature is crossing over into judiciary jurisdiction), as well as the implications it puts on judges (the fact that this takes away their judicial discretion to look at the aggravating/mitigating factors) and criminals (preventing them from rehabilitation and filling already over-croweded prisons, and the issue of having an imbalance of racial groups within the criminal justice system).

sophi

We have been told that the crime questions do not necessarily have to relate to the stimulus, but the stimulus is used as a guide and may be used to illustrate the points you make along with LCMD. Say for example you got a question about the influences of chriminal behaviour and only 2 were relevant to the stimulus, you (most likely, depending on the marks alloted to the question) would need to discuss the other 3 as well to get full marks. It is possible (but maybe not probable) that we get a question related to this dot point. In our trial (or was it mid-course) we got a question worded something like this

Discuss the efficiency and effectiveness of various forms of legal measures in achieving justice in relation to a criminal justice issue researched.

It was worth 9 marks and it was amazing how many people had no idea, even though we had been given all these sheets on jurys and a list of other issues we could research. I was the only 1 who got full marks and I don't even think my answer was too crash hot it was only 3/4 of a page long, but the marker said I addressed all aspects of the question.

Well i've kind've gone off the topic neway...

The issue I researched is the relevance of the doctrine of Doli Incapax and the age of criminal responsibility in today's society.
There is heaps of contraversy in this area. There has also been a parliamentary commission into the issue. There are also heaps of dissusion papers on the net and you can refer to the outcome of such cases as the murder of Corey Davis (R v LMW Supreme Court of NSW reports 1999) and the murder of Courtney Morely-Clarke (I don't recomend reading these case notes some of it is very disturbing). It's a good issue neway with a lot to discuss.

HannieStar

yeah- i did doli incapax and corey davis too- sooooo upsetting.......

good- i figured that was what that meant on the syllabus so ive just read my notes- yay one more thing down!

now to try and understand indigenous people gggggrrrrrrrrr

Moonfrog

I did victims rights, specifically the rights of sexual assault victims. If anyone has the Excel book, there are examples of criminal justice issues in there, eg mandatory sentencing, prisoners rights etc.

top_gun

I think mandatory sentencing would be the easiest issue to address in relation to discrimination with Abos. Theres some info about mandatory sentencing on the ATSIC website, and in the Heinemann book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)