Crime Extended Response (1 Viewer)

sugartits

HSC
Police powers - Discretion in providing punishments (Cautions, warnings fines etc)
Director of Public Prosecutions - Discretion to pursue cases base on success, resources, public interest etc

Based evaluations on balancing rights of victims, offenders society, issues of compliance/non-compliance, achievement of just outcomes, resource efficiency etc.
Police powers - direct dot point in the CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION PROCESS......... unless you spoke of young offenders and the discretion in there..... but even then young offenders shouldn't have been the main point just a side note (cause it specifically said Sentencing and Punishment, not in the justice system with a discussion on S&P )

HSC
We had almost the exact same question for our trial escept it asked about discretion in general rather than specifically about sentencing and punishment.
I talked about the age of criminal responsibility in regards to the rebuttable presumption of doli incapax. Cases: R v Gorrie (1919), R v LMW (1999) and Jamie Bulger (1993) (UK).
Then I talked about appeals but specifically towards my two case studies R v Wood (2009) and the appeal: Wood v R (2012) and how he successfully appealed due to the inaccurate scientific evidence in his trial as well as the Ebony case: R v BW & SW (2008) and SW v R (2013)-->sentence lowered.
Lastly I wrote about R v Wood (2009) and the aggravating and mitigating factors.
Didn't want to write a general response as I didn't study discretion that much. Luckily I remembered my case studies/assignments and one of the things I studied could be adapted to the question.
It's James Bulger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)