Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Hi, I am one of this Forums moderators, and I did "Genre: Crime Fiction" in 2002. If you have any questions about any of the prescribed texts, or any additional texts, please post them here and I will try to answer them for you.

Last edited:

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
A generous offer Mr McLake, one I will indeed take you up on :)

as mentioned before, i think i will need all the help i can get in regards to crime fiction

a question: how did you study for crime fiction? only before exams, or was it more a constant year round effort? I know practice essays are essential, so i'll probably have to start doing some of those sometime

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by wallmonger
A generous offer Mr McLake, one I will indeed take you up on :)

as mentioned before, i think i will need all the help i can get in regards to crime fiction

a question: how did you study for crime fiction? only before exams, or was it more a constant year round effort? I know practice essays are essential, so i'll probably have to start doing some of those sometime
I would say it was a constant year-round effort.

Practice essays are essential, and I suggest trying to do at least one a month (more often if you are dedicated).

Make sure you have so much additional material that you can ditch most of it in a test, if you have seen the question we got in 2002 you can tell that some material was not suitable to use.

If you want to post some practice answers to practice essays on this forum, and i'll review them for you.

If you would like a practice question, just ask!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
hey mclake, just out of interest... what texts did you study?

our class is doing The Big Sleep (which i loved), Skull Beneath The Skin (which is so incredibly long winded and boring) and next term we are doing Snow Falling on Cedars... any words of wisdom or things to watch out for?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
hey mclake, just out of interest... what texts did you study?

our class is doing The Big Sleep (which i loved), Skull Beneath The Skin (which is so incredibly long winded and boring) and next term we are doing Snow Falling on Cedars... any words of wisdom or things to watch out for?
I did:
"The Big Sleep"
"The Real Inspector Hound"
"Snow Falling on Cedars"

But I also read " The Skull Beneath The Skin".

What do you mean by "things to watch out for"? Quotes? Plot twists?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
well, just things that you think are important to make mental notes of... kinda like metaphors and things that will come in handy for the hsc...

Leap

free falling
HSC
I have this assignment where I have to compare a film noir to another crime movie, from a different subgenre. The only problem is I have no idea what movie to choose for the 2nd film. I think a modern crime movie would be the easiest, but seeing as I have no interest in the crime genre whatsoever, I am having trouble choosing one.
Any suggestions?:confused:

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i just happened to read ur question LEAP... and i had to do that assignment last term... i chose the film 'Fargo' by the Coen brothers... its kinda semi-serious, semi-parody of the crime fiction genre (and just great to watch)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
well, just things that you think are important to make mental notes of... kinda like metaphors and things that will come in handy for the hsc...
Um, see the thing is the question is different every year. Did you see the 2002 question, it was very odd, I wasn't really prepared for it, so I can't suggest any specififc metaphors, just make sure you know some ...

malayz_angel

Originally posted by McLake

I did:
"The Big Sleep"
"The Real Inspector Hound"
"Snow Falling on Cedars"

But I also read " The Skull Beneath The Skin".

What do you mean by "things to watch out for"? Quotes? Plot twists?
Cool, those are the texts that I'm doing this year too. Did u find Snow Falling On Cedars interesting? I found it pretty dull. Skull Beneath The Skin was pretty slow at first but then it starts to get interesting later on.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by malayz_angel

Cool, those are the texts that I'm doing this year too. Did u find Snow Falling On Cedars interesting? I found it pretty dull. Skull Beneath The Skin was pretty slow at first but then it starts to get interesting later on.
SFOC is quite slow in parts, but it is interesting-ish. SBTS was good.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by McLake
Hi, I am one of this Forums moderators, and I did "Genre: Crime Fiction" in 2002. If you have any questions about any of the prescribed texts, or any additional texts, please post them here and I will try to answer them for you.
hey mclake is there anyway u could have a sticky for RTFG (Retreat From The Global)?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Re: Re: Crime Fiction

Originally posted by Rahul

hey mclake is there anyway u could have a sticky for RTFG (Retreat From The Global)?
Well I could, but I didn't do that topic, co I wouldn't be able to help anyone. Ask the other mods in this forum (although I don't think any of them did RFTG)

edit: (glitterfairy) I did! I did! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

malayz_angel

At least SBTS had more "possible murderers" rather than just pinning the blame on one guy who didn't end up doing it after all. And SBTS had a twist too-- no one really considered Simon as a suspect. I agree it was a bit dry to handle at first, but afterwards when you finish it and go back, all these things seem so much clearer.You can see all the foreshadowing of events to come.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah... everyone in my class really complained about SBTS... i spose i did too at first, and it took me ages to read... but in retrospect and reflection, i like it more and more.

Neon-Frog

Hey i got my half yearly exam tomorrow, and im just under a bit of confusion. There is going to be an essay topic on GENRE, and a creative writing task on crime fiction.

Im kind of confused with the actual difference between the two.

Is genre just like the conventions of crime fiction. And crime fiction is more specifically the texts studied? Or am i completely off on this?

Thanks

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
hmmmm... is there a difference? i know that "Genre" is the module we are studying for the subject... so i imagine that that would be where you have to talk about the pescribed texts... and the other would just be a creative writing piece.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)