Criminal Justice Issue! (1 Viewer)

adamj

I sorta agree with Ziff. In Crime and Criminal Justcie class, we looked at the media and their influence. Here is an extract from my report on the media on the Bilal Skaf case.

----
In addition, the featuring of ethnic minorities was inundated with the issue of terrorism, especially on the representation of Islamic clerics on their comments of terrorism. However, ethnic minorities also featured in the crimes of gang rapes with the hostility to young Lebanese men, as stated by Justices Wood and Mason, that may give grounds to a retrial, as jurors are instructed not to make inquiries outside court, including media reports (26/3/04). The gangland case also opened up further explicit references to Italians. The Australian referred to Andrew Veniamin as a person you would hardly expect to see driving a $200,000 Merc as he was covered in tattoos and was semi-literate (The Australian: Blood on the streets: 25/3/04). The media has passed judgment in this case, creating speculation. In addition, the paper referred to these acts as something out of the script of The Godfather, further playing upon the culture of ethnic minorities where a setting of the Italian Restaurant is created. In terms of how criminologists view the stories of ethnic minorities, there is contradictory evidence, according to Graber et al (cited by Reiner, 1997: 201). It is suggested by Reiner that the focus of media on people of certain socio-economic backgrounds make up minorities or the losers of the criminal justice lottery. In addition, the contour that the media give of minority offenders can be misleading (1997: 201).
Moreover, females and children, especially in the cases of sexual assault were depicted as victims. The study of victims in the media tends to be lesser than that of the study of offenders (Reiner, 1997: 201). This was also further encompassed when analysing The Australian, by where most cases were centred around, or fuelled by offenders.

(This piece has been properly referenced in submission. This work is apart of an assessment submitted to fulfill the requirements of the Bachelor of Social Science course at UWS).

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
Yes and no. Often this is over-exaggerated or really only displaying the expectations of certain parts of society or of the newspaper (e.g. extreme right-wing/conservative bias). Like talkback radio, you can't really use that as a gauge of real public standards and expectations because often it is only the most racist and bigotted views which are broadcast.
but then this is up to u as an individual (the researcher) to assess what community standards are right?.....that is the whole point of the assessment task. an individual would most certainly get high marks if they were to question every aspect of 'community values' and take it on different perspectives and points of view.
(btw, im agreeing with you on ur previous post, i just didnt convey my meaning enuff on MY post)

eg. we were discussing the appointment of the judiciary and if policies such as affirmitive action should be implemented withihn the appointent process.
an individual raised views of appointing people from different backgrounds .....which would be a 'fair' reflection of societies views.
another individual disputed this and said that the very notion of appointing judges like this is not a 'fair' reflection of societies will for the judiciary to be impartial and autonomous as judges from different backgrounds would tend to be bias due to individual life expereiences.
then another person said that if the judiciary was to be all male, anglos who were approaching 'old' age, then the judiciaries bias would be even more so exacerbated, forming 'collective bias'

so wgat im trying to say is that the assessment should be presented in a neutral sorta way, highlighting points from both sides (hsc markers favour that) and taking your arguments further in different angles.

the very question of the appointment of the judiciary process coul well be your essay for legal studies...LoLz

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
jejeje.. i ended up doing jury duty and i used the case of bilal skaf in my answer

riVa0o

ermm i dunno if it was just the specific guidelines my teacher set, but i'm doing industrial manslaughter for my criminal justice issue... which seems kinda out of place compared to what everyone else is doing here!

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by riVa0o
ermm i dunno if it was just the specific guidelines my teacher set, but i'm doing industrial manslaughter for my criminal justice issue... which seems kinda out of place compared to what everyone else is doing here!
your criminal justice issue can be many things

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by SKA
jejeje.. i ended up doing jury duty and i used the case of bilal skaf in my answer
That was a good idea! :uhhuh: !
Good luck with your results!

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
That was a good idea! :uhhuh: !
Good luck with your results!
owww ive already got them back.. they wernt the results i exactly wanted but atleast i improved in my extended response questions :)

u can use the case of bilal skaf in many issues ... lol.. its a good one

dezzy

HSC
im doing the decriminalisation of cannabis
onyl cos it is in the textbook :p

dezzy

HSC
lol..HAHA!
Thats meeeeeeee :D
i suppose its nothing to be proud about....
but u know the saying- "if u've got it.....use it?" lol

santaslayer

HSC
yea...i guess its true.....just add information not in the textbook to give it a feeling of not being plagarised..LoLz

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
I've just finished my assignment on Bilal Skaf, i discussed the motive for his constant appeals as the grounds were failed on the grounds that they did not affect the overall result of the case. Is that right? I also discussed sentencing and the fact he only really got 20 years for each count and it only added up to 55, then I discussed the case where under new legislation it's a life sentence and this judge didn't even use it. btw the judgement i read was 103 pages. Short campared to the South Sydney case

santaslayer

HSC
U actually read all 103 pages of it?...wow, The best i've done is a 35 page case!~ *shame*

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
perhaps bail and the governments interests in it. On a different note, the new laws concerning the gang rapes and how judges have less say in sentencing is relevant. The idea of terror suspects being held for twenty four hours should be a good issue.
Oh yeah, and the prohibitting of accused rapists, representing themselves, from cross examining their victims, is a perfect issue as it asks about the clash between the rights of the accused, and the rights of the victim.

Gippel

HSC
hello i am currently studying legal studies at a very outstanding selective high school with a teacher who attended harvard law school in the u.s, so i ask u this why am i such a dumb shit:santa:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)