• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Decimal Places (2 Viewers)

micuzzo

HSC
sup, just wondering to how many decimal places are we meant to we round off to in chem...ne1 no

thank u

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
three is usually sufficient for anything. although, doing past hsc questions [multiple choice] i've found that they round off to the nearest number.

micuzzo

HSC
i thought it was three...but yeah i always find variation...anyway

thanks

lolokay

HSC
when you add quantities, you take the number of decimal places as the quantity with the least decimal places, when multiplying you use the number of significant figures as the quantity with the least sf's.

just use the rules you're given in chem as to how many dp's/sig figs to put your answer to

LordPc

HSC
there is a formula, like for log and pH calculations there is a direct sig figs and decimal places ratio

cant remember exactly but it was something like the dp's on the pH is the number of sig figs you use in your answer.

for all other calculations i believe it is up to your own discretion

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
They're usually not too fussed about this, as long as you make a reasonable approximation. For example, it would be stupid to round off a titre of 28.22 mL to 30mL. A more reasonable one would be 28.2mL. Otherwise, you can follow what lolokay has said, which is the standard approximation procedure in university level science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)