Decreasing demand for IT employees? (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
Is it true? What are the jobs with the highest and lowest demands in the IT industry?

I'm re-thinking about my career choice over this...

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Yeah, IT is like Forensics, both became popular and then there were too many people and not enough jobs.

Do Engineering, theres always work for Engineers

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
In a economic view, supply has outstrip demand:)

Winston

HSC
It's not true right now, if you graduate in the next 2 - 3 years, you'll be able to find one, and this is providing you're not one of those idiots who think studying for a degree is adequate to earn you a position, you need to be proactive and seek a lot of experience in the related field, and do voluntary work and be very well rounded and flexible.

There currently is a demand of IT people with the right skills and right attitude, a lot of people still think it's the worse industry to get into, it's not anymore, it's because everyone thinks like this then there's is now gradually a decline of quality IT professionals. It's all supply and demand, think of all the people who's doing pharmacy, or business/commerce, majority of them are asians, as they think it's obviously the best career path to head into, but then there's going to be a large influx of them in so many years time.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
orly? said:
Is it true? What are the jobs with the highest and lowest demands in the IT industry?

I'm re-thinking about my career choice over this...
We had a significant shortage of workers, so the stupid Govt filled up all the positions with labour overseas, leaving little for people who want to do IT. Plus there's outsourcing to India, so its even less.

IT = dead end.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
It fluctuates. If you really want to be in IT, just be good at what you do.

sladehk

le random
HSC
im sure you can find a job but the conditions will be dodge =.=

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
get into programing, people always need programs. Games industry is growing massively, everyone wants a peice.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Serius said:
get into programing, people always need programs. Games industry is growing massively, everyone wants a peice.
Making it to the big-time in games isn't going to be easy. And the amount of people who want to do it makes it even harder.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
on the contrary i would say if you are dedicated and have skill its very easy. People straight out of uni with a degree thinking they can straight away work for blizzard or EA or something, thats unrealistic... setting up a group and making a mod for a popular game, much more realistic and much more likely to catch the attention of the more innovative companies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
But to make something like DoTA or Counterstrike you're going to need to be seriously good at what you do.

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
The best starting point in any IT career is helpdesk.
There is alot of demand as people constantly leave after doing their bit and upgrading their job.
Ive been at CSC for 7 months now and i still love it, i just got a second PC on my desk to do level 2 support :)
i got employed at CSC as an 18 year old, so yes do apply for those bigger jobs.. its gonna be very nice on my resume whenever i do leave, but its not going to be for a while because its kicking ass at the moment

sure alot of companies outsource to india, but the companies that do outsourcing (HP, CSC, Unisys West etc) to other companies are based in australia for their australian clients
Those who cannot afford to outsource their IT to another company stay inhouse and move to india

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)