Dentistry (1 Viewer)

enak101

HSC
Hey, looks like to become a dentist I have to get a bachelors degree (preferably 3 years) and I can choose whatever I want, do some equivalent of a human biology unit and then do the doctors of dental at USYD.

I thought this could be a good opportunity to do something I'm personally interested in (Philosophy) which isn't too good with the whole job thing hah

So a Bachelor degree in Arts majoring in Philosophy and then move into the 4 year Dentistry course. Not sure about the human biology part of it though, how long would it take if separate to your bachelors degree. Can you just do that little part quickly and be off? Seems like it would be pretty awesome to do philosophy just for the learning part of it and not worry about the job searching haha.

HSC
Hey, looks like to become a dentist I have to get a bachelors degree (preferably 3 years) and I can choose whatever I want, do some equivalent of a human biology unit and then do the doctors of dental at USYD.

I thought this could be a good opportunity to do something I'm personally interested in (Philosophy) which isn't too good with the whole job thing hah

So a Bachelor degree in Arts majoring in Philosophy and then move into the 4 year Dentistry course. Not sure about the human biology part of it though, how long would it take if separate to your bachelors degree. Can you just do that little part quickly and be off? Seems like it would be pretty awesome to do philosophy just for the learning part of it and not worry about the job searching haha.
so you're banking your whole career on getting into the USyD program...

You have to get a pretty high GAMSAT and a good interview to have a chance, so some first year level in chemistry and first year bio would be paramount.

Why not apply for undergrad dent schools? La trobe, CSU, JCU, Griffith, UQ all offer it undergrad.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I don't recommend you to do a BA (Philosophy) alone and put all your hope in getting into dentistry. Entry into dentistry is highly competitive. If you are interested in philosophy, I would suggest you do a BA/BSc combined degree so you will get good background in Science (I know this will take you at least 4 years). Alternatively, if your BA degree allows you to double major, do one of the majors in a science related area.

enak101

HSC
Yeah, I didn't quite understand how difficult it was, closes uni out of that list is in orange lol, need to consider some other careers ugh. Thanks for the help everyone.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
so you're banking your whole career on getting into the USyD program...
You're saying it as though the OP is playing Russian roulette. You can try to get in more than once, and if you put the work in during your undergrad to prepare for the GAMSAT well enough, it's very possible you'll get in on your first go. If not, take a year off, do Hons. and try again!

enak101

HSC
You're saying it as though the OP is playing Russian roulette. You can try to get in more than once, and if you put the work in during your undergrad to prepare for the GAMSAT well enough, it's very possible you'll get in on your first go. If not, take a year off, do Hons. and try again!
heh, that is true. It's mainly because I can't think of anything I'm so passionate about I would love doing it for the rest of my life and a big portion of it. I know pay isn't everything but it pretty much determines your lifestyle. Dentists make good money and the hours/time isn't as obscene as doing a medicine degree like bachelor of medicine/surgery. Hmm, still not sure on the whole thing.

HSC
welcome 2 da real world where you actually need to consider shit before you go.

It's not like you can just throw 3 years of life and 30k hecs on a degree, then after that, hope to get into one which will get you a job.

Always have a plan b

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
welcome 2 da real world where you actually need to consider shit before you go.

It's not like you can just throw 3 years of life and 30k hecs on a degree, then after that, hope to get into one which will get you a job.

Always have a plan b
Three years and 30k HECS are pennies in comparison to pursuing a 50 year career that you're passionate about and will take care of you for the rest of your life.

Anyway I'll stop responding to your mindless garbage from now on, not worth my time.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Why not apply for undergrad dent schools? La trobe, CSU, JCU, Griffith, UQ all offer it undergrad.
Griffith: $100k tuition fee for the last 2 years.
CSU: orange
Latrobe: bendigo
JCU: cairns

the only undergrad courses worth going for imo would be Adelaide (best), UWA and UQ.

enak101

HSC
Yeah, where most of the undergrad courses were turned me off of it really. I need to find something I like I suppose. Dentistry sounded good at the time and I'll still keep it in mind, got 1 year to decide on anything at least.

x3Reii

HSC
Hello. It's funny because I was in your exact position a year ago when I was finishing my HSC.

I'll give you some advice from someone who's gone through researching everything pretty thoroughly. I did consider doing UG dent interstate however in the end, I wasn't willing or ready to move out of home into another state alone. In hindsight, I kinda wished I risked it and applied. Instead, I settled for Diagnostic Radiography at USYD. It was my backup if I don't make it into dentistry. But now I'm starting to like radiography much more so I'm not sure what direction to take yet haha.

Anyways, don't consider applying for Charles Sturte because you have to prove that you're willing to practice rurally after you graduate so unless you do, I'd cross Charles Sturte off; besides they have a really high preference towards rural students. I think some of the other unis (Queensland?) require UMAT, not too sure though. And I also have a friend doing UG dentistry at JCU, the cutoff was 99 in 2012 so thats pretty crazy. Thats all I know about UG dentistry so far.

Okay, now onto post-grad dentistry at USYD. The requirements are a 5.5 GPA (so midway between a credit/distinction average), GAMSAT, interview and some health science unit that must be completed prior to applying. Like others said, it is very competitive to get into dentistry. If you are really interested in doing philosophy consider doing a B of Liberal Arts and Science course at USYD and pick the health science unit thats pre-required for dent and then do philosophy as part of your arts unit. However, I would actually recommend trying to get into health science course (radiography, physio, occupational therapy, speech pathology) and then try to get into post-grad dent as many of those courses are good backups. You could also just do a B of Science, B of Medical Science or B of Oral Health. All of these should give you good foundations to handle the dentistry course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)