detail (1 Viewer)

w i l l s

hey guys
just wondering if any1 else is having problems with the amount of detail required of a screenplay. theres the arguement that scripts are meant 2 list as little detail as possible as to not offend the director n such, but 4 our purposes dont we have 2 show we know what we're doing. anyway how much detail r u guys including? and do u have trouble with incorporating a lot of detail concisely.. thx

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Hell yeah! I've checked a bunch of different sources, and some say to not include anything, some say only include stuff if you intend to film it yourself, some say be as descriptive as possible, it's really annoying. And then I read some screenplays and they all seem to include a fair amount of detail...

I've just decided to included as much detail as I want, and right now I'm just mucking around with leaving some sections completely detail-free to add emphasis and stuff. I've even included camera angles in a lot of scenes, which I'm not sure is allowed, but I've seen it in other screenplays, so...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
the syllabus wants to see that script writers understand the working of a script as a working document -- ie. as a film which is supposed to actually be filmed.

I would say you would be very foolish to leave all camera detail out. if you wanted too, as to not disrupt narrative flow, you could provide 2 scripts -- one for the dialogue and one for the camera. this is tricky though.

when in doubt consult the syllabus
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_syl.pdf page 133

the extract is here for you but i advise you check it out yourself:

Scripts — Radio, Film, Television and Drama
Students must develop a script of a complete work for the medium of radio, film,
television or drama. The intended performance time for the script must be 20–30
minutes. A Reflection Statement must also be submitted with the work.
Presentation
The script must be typed with double spacing onto A4 size paper.
Scriptwriting conventions appropriate to the medium should be followed.
Font should be size 12, Arial or Times New Roman.
Each page should be numbered.
A cover sheet should be included which states the centre number and candidate
number and the title of the work(s).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)