Developing Academic Language Skills - complusory workshops for UG (1 Viewer)

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
OMG i booked and i forgot to go...but u can book that at orientation..WTF is it about?

EDIT:do you have to do some sort of a test?
most importantly do they check your names?

Last edited:

sandz_2

HSC
hey there.. i didnt even book and i went but im not sure if there's anymore sessions running. You just go through essay writing and how to reference. During the session you fill in a registration form with your details as well and there's no test.

raiders771

HSC
oh well i didnt even show up to mine coz i had to leave for training... wat was the registration form and was it compulsory?

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
sandz_2 said:
hey there.. i didnt even book and i went but im not sure if there's anymore sessions running. You just go through essay writing and how to reference. During the session you fill in a registration form with your details as well and there's no test.
Did you find it useful? And did they specify whether UTSers are expected to use the Harvard or Oxford system of footnoting? And where are we meant to go to attend the sessions?

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
It isn't that big of a deal if you're a humanities student - you get a subject in first semester that covers alot of this in the first couple of weeks.

And humanities students use the Harvard system unless your tutor requests otherwise for an assignment. There will be instructions online on how to reference (the BELL section of the UTS website), so you shouldn't really have any problems.

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
i'm saying are u screwed if u dun go? and when the hell does uni start for UGs?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
williamycai said:
You're definitely not screwed - you can find most of the content from the BELL section of the UTS website. Uni starts on the 26th of February if you have classes on the monday, otherwise its sometime during that week.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
williamycai said:
I don't think you're screwed if you don't go, because the people who are running that have workshops on during March that you can attend which focus on things like essay writing, referencing etc. I found out about that here: http://www.uts.edu.au/div/elssa/

Uni starts on the 26th of February for us.

ps. thanks kami!

elisabeth

HSC
Stop stressing people, this was the biggest waste of two hours. Nothing useful was gleaned, unless you're the kind of person who needs to be told not to include exclamation marks in essays or reports....

heavenz

HSC
N/A
Would a student's enrolment be affected if they didnt attend the orientation session?

It says that it's compulsory, but what if someone happened to miss it by accident =O

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)