Diagrams of Organic Molecules (1 Viewer)

大きい男

HSC
In the HSC exam, if a question requires a diagram of an organic molecule, what is the expected way of representing it? My teacher often draws diagrams using the condensed form whereas I find it is much easier to use bond-line form. The only real advantage I can see for bond-line, besides it being faster and more concise, is that it can more clearly represent stereochemistry but I'm pretty sure that's outside the scope of the syllabus.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It is true that bond line form is used outside of the HSC particularly at uni and it is faster, but in HSC this is not a part of the syllabus so I wouldn't do it. You need to stick to full expanded structural formula (not even the condensed). I would do this because I have heard in the past of marks being taken off for not expanding bonds like OH (i.e. as O-H) in some schools. So safest thing you can do is draw the full structure as you don't want to lose any marks on that type of thing

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep you have to expand everything. If you go look at the markers comments for the 2015 HSC exam released by the marking committee it said this on the question where you had to draw the citric acid structure
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 10.39.24 pm.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)