Did anybody run out of time or find the test at all difficult? (1 Viewer)

Nadia-Jane

HSC
Well i thought it was perhaps due for this type of thread, seeing as though almost every other one i go into you are all making me feel like total crap saying how it was the easiest test ever and 'im expecting around 97%' ra ra ra.

Is there ANYBODY at all out there who, like myself, ran out of time for any of the questions? or left any out? or found it difficult?

It was not as hard overall as my trial or as i had expected it to be yes, but i still concentrated too heavily on certain sections of my exam and then got to the end and had to leave out a few questions.

HSC
ill be dead honest with you, ive never encountered 28 a) ii) and found it difficult, but i figured out by breaking down the question down and finding area

it was a tight exam, I normally can do maths exams between 1hr-1.5hr, but this one took me a solid 1.5-1.75hrs then I went over it twice

Mandy101

HSC
Lol, normally the people who do well are the ones who post about it. I wouldn't worry if I were you - I'm sure a lot of people found the test difficult, hence the fact that only 3-4% of the candidature get in the top band. I did well in the test, but I go to a selective school and have been doing advanced maths for four years now. Don't let other people's marks affect you. The test wasn't a walk in the park, but for those who had practiced similar questions before, it was a good exam.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i agree with you Nadia-Jane....with everyone saying they are getting in the 90's its making me feel like im going to go total crap, i had high hopes before i saw all of that. there was some difficult questions in there so that made it quite challenging.

i manged to finish with about 5 mins spare. i did section II fist then section I..it worked out good for me becasue im always rushing in the end if i do it I than II, this time i had some breathing space.

7th Sign

HSC
People on here a full of shit I have done 2001,2002,2003 and 2004 papers and this paper was no where as easy as 2004 It was on the same level as the earlier papers. Yeah true some questions were very easy like year 4 style but also some were pretty hard, This test did take me a while i did the MC twice over but and rushed to finish the other sections, 2004 was way easy this test to me was rated as medium. I hope i get in the 70s but :(

Gummy_bear

HSC
hmm, well, the only question that really stumped me was the one about 'if they buy a shower head that saves 6 litres a minute and water cost blah blah blah'. i kepy on thinking 'they have to tell us how much they would use WITHOUT the shower head. but then after finishing the rest of the exam, i had half an hour to read over things, so i went back to that and i worked it out.

After going through the paper twice i also corrected some very silly mistakes, like forgetting to add two things together to get the actual answer. So, i was very glad that i had extra time on my hands, or else i would of last at least 10 marks! yes, i made A LOT of very silly mistakes!

7th Sign

HSC
i didnt even check my short answer bit :(

I wish I did :(

I went over the MC twice but :D

s0k0y0e0

HSC
honestly???? I ran outa time; im pased myslef TOO much! :(

bc2005

HSC
dont worry, i left questions out, ran out of time, went over this pc person's answers and got heaps wrong. lol i suck at maths. thank god its my extra 2 units.

ellysa

i hate that feeling when u leave an exam knowing u didnt get to complete it properly. u feel like u havent done ur best cos u had to rush the last question or cos u didnt have time to go back to those multiple choice questions u skipped... then u get outside to find everyone saying 'yeah i finished with half an hour to go'. its so disheartening.

Nadia-Jane

HSC
lissa_bridget said:
i hate that feeling when u leave an exam knowing u didnt get to complete it properly. u feel like u havent done ur best cos u had to rush the last question or cos u didnt have time to go back to those multiple choice questions u skipped... then u get outside to find everyone saying 'yeah i finished with half an hour to go'. its so disheartening.

It's exactly how i felt lol.

And it makes it so much worse to come home to a forum thinking you'll be reassured by a larger range of fellow hsc-goers only to find the majority of them saying "yeah i think ill get 97, well ill get 94, damn, i think ill get in the 90's.."

I don't think i completed 97% of the test let alone got them all right lol i know for a fact i made so many stupid mistakes and left a number of questions out.. i paced myself way too heavily and focussed on certain sections alot more than others.. im so annoyed im not even stupid at maths but my mark is going to be heck low.. ggrrr stupid hsc.

I'm so depressed at the moment, i just did that scaling thing and entered my trial scores into the thing, to find that even if i get in the 70's for each of my subjects (which probably won't happen anyway) my UAI is likely to be in the 50's only. How ridiculous is that! 70's is bloody smart lol

All my 13 years of very hard in class and assessment work gone to waste

it's just way too difficult to get into uni these days, the system should be done differently.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
i finsihed in time but i didnt get to check it all over, so i probably missed some mistakes, oh well cant do much about it now...what i get, i get.

Anni1

i ran out of time and left any hard ones! were all the people referring to the multiple choice because that was great, and the stem and leaf plot was great, but i think that people were happy they could just answer the questions with relative ease!

sally_33

HSC
Nadia-Jane said:
It's exactly how i felt lol.

And it makes it so much worse to come home to a forum thinking you'll be reassured by a larger range of fellow hsc-goers only to find the majority of them saying "yeah i think ill get 97, well ill get 94, damn, i think ill get in the 90's.."

I don't think i completed 97% of the test let alone got them all right lol i know for a fact i made so many stupid mistakes and left a number of questions out.. i paced myself way too heavily and focussed on certain sections alot more than others.. im so annoyed im not even stupid at maths but my mark is going to be heck low.. ggrrr stupid hsc.

I'm so depressed at the moment, i just did that scaling thing and entered my trial scores into the thing, to find that even if i get in the 70's for each of my subjects (which probably won't happen anyway) my UAI is likely to be in the 50's only. How ridiculous is that! 70's is bloody smart lol

All my 13 years of very hard in class and assessment work gone to waste

it's just way too difficult to get into uni these days, the system should be done differently.

hey i wouldnt worry about it too much. i know its easy to say but just focus on your other exams now - if you really feel like you did bad in maths you can still make up a few marks in your other subjects by studying hard now :)

also if you read the thread about "who dropped down from 2 unit to general" you'll notice that alot of same people posting that they got 90+ are also those who dropped down. im not saying they shouldnt have dropped down (alot of them were getting in to 30s in 2U), but when they dropped they probably would have found general to be so much clearer - i.e. it relates to real life and a few of the topics were also already done in year 10 advanced maths, so they find it much clearer. also, as someone else already said, people dont brag about their marks if they are not good unless they are really proud because its an improvement for them (sort of like a personal best). so i definitely dont think that their results represent how the whole state went - its GENERAL maths, so must people doing it are those that struggle with maths and just can't grasp the concepts, or else they are just really lazy and dont care about their marks.

anyone ok enough rambling on but what im trying to say is just move on now to concentrate on your remaining exams.

good luck

missypickles

HSC
i agree- i could have done with at least an extra half an hour- the financial expectation question stuffed me up completely and so did the pool (i'm not very good at measurement). But don't stress about it and concentrate on your next exam. My cousin keeps telling me- "don't worry about failing until you have your hsc in your hands with the mark on."

7th Sign

HSC
teekerr said:
The test was easy, your all making something out of nothing.

hay dickead the test was not easy, I will rate it a medium....

math has never even been my best sub I only did advnaced in year 9/11 and 2 unit in year 11 and general year 12 so I know what a bad exam is thank you very much :D

It was like 20% harder then 2004 gen exam

maby 10 trickey questions

2004 had maby 2

test was time consuming I barley finished maby missed 1 or 2 questions and stuffed them up least I wrote some working :(

and I did the MC twice....

success

HSC
teeker,

i think you need to understand that not everyone has the same level of "intelligence" as you.

by comig out with a statement like that your insulting people who didn't find it that easy.

just think about what your saying.

anyway, back on topic, i found it ok. what i screwed up i basically deserved to screw for all the time i didn't pay attention during the year! oh well! can't do a single thing about it now!

good luck everyone

Shmoo

i agree, with u all, in saying that this test was not as easy as everyone is making out. i think it was just easier than what people were expecting so they got complacent about it. and for the answers that have been posted up by various people, how do they know they are right! dont let them get you down because im pretty sure most of the people bragging about marks of 96% or 98% will get a rude shock when we get our marks back :)

just going through the test last night i noticed heaps of silly mistakes that i had made, and i bet everyone did the same.

do these people realise that getting a mark of 98% means that they can only have missed 2 marks in the whole test! they're dreamin! what if they missed putting all the working out down correctly or stuff like that???? or even got one multiple choice answer wrong?????

i think people are underestimating what it takes to get a 96 or 98%, it basically means there is no room for error and everyone will have made at least one mistake!

jackcass2

i thought the exam was only 2 hours (even when practicing all the 2001 to 2004 papers) so i finished the exam in 2 hours and had 30mins spare. went over it and found 2 mistakes so quite lucky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)