Did I completely mess my subjects for year 11? (1 Viewer)

kat1324

HSC
So I did
Math adv
Math ext
Eng adv
Chem
Physics
Ancient hist
Business studies

So 13 units in total, except I didn't realise Business studies and Ancient history are super shit scaling.
I'm considering doing Ext Eng and dropping business studies because I'm quite good at English just I don't like it a whole much. I just don't know how I'll handle the workload, I've always procrastinated and been lazy, and my previous school didn't even allow people to do both extensions as it was "too hard." so I feel as though thats a real warning not to do both.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
So I did
Math adv
Math ext
Eng adv
Chem
Physics
Ancient hist
Business studies

So 13 units in total, except I didn't realise Business studies and Ancient history are super shit scaling.
I'm considering doing Ext Eng and dropping business studies because I'm quite good at English just I don't like it a whole much. I just don't know how I'll handle the workload, I've always procrastinated and been lazy, and my previous school didn't even allow people to do both extensions as it was "too hard." so I feel as though thats a real warning not to do both.
Why are you considering English Extension when you don't like it? If I recall correctly, English Ext 1 is essentially English Adv, just with more complex texts and more sophisticated analysis at a faster pace. I have a feeling your dislike of English, combined with your procrastination, may not fare well for your Eng Ext marks. As you're quite good at English, you might as well just put your entire effort for English into the compulsory English subject you're doing.

As said before, don't pick subjects on scaling. Pick what you think is interesting (also what will be useful to you in the future, especially if you're planning to go to university). You already have good scaling subjects anyway (Chem, Phys, Maths Ext). If you like Ancient and Business, keep it.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Most of your courses are good scaling. Doing like 1 or 2 moderate or lower scaling courses won't have that much on an impact. One thing you may be failing to understand is that although it may scale better attaining a certain mark in that subject will be more difficult than the lower scaling subject. For example, the amount of work to get a 90 in physics is way more than what you need to get a 90 in business studies. Choose the subjects based on what you are good at, what you enjoy, are you interested in any uni degrees related to that subject. You can get 99+ ATARs even doing lower scaling courses. I did business studies which was my lowest scaling subject but I still ended up with a high 99 ATAR. The subject being easier and intuitive also meant that I could relax a bit mentally in terms of hard subjects by doing business studies and the content was generally informative in different areas of business.

kat1324

HSC
Most of your courses are good scaling. Doing like 1 or 2 moderate or lower scaling courses won't have that much on an impact. One thing you may be failing to understand is that although it may scale better attaining a certain mark in that subject will be more difficult than the lower scaling subject. For example, the amount of work to get a 90 in physics is way more than what you need to get a 90 in business studies. Choose the subjects based on what you are good at, what you enjoy, are you interested in any uni degrees related to that subject. You can get 99+ ATARs even doing lower scaling courses. I did business studies which was my lowest scaling subject but I still ended up with a high 99 ATAR. The subject being easier and intuitive also meant that I could relax a bit mentally in terms of hard subjects by doing business studies and the content was generally informative in different areas of business.
Thank you. How did you find business? Was it content heavy?

kat1324

HSC
Why are you considering English Extension when you don't like it? If I recall correctly, English Ext 1 is essentially English Adv, just with more complex texts and more sophisticated analysis at a faster pace. I have a feeling your dislike of English, combined with your procrastination, may not fare well for your Eng Ext marks. As you're quite good at English, you might as well just put your entire effort for English into the compulsory English subject you're doing.

As said before, don't pick subjects on scaling. Pick what you think is interesting (also what will be useful to you in the future, especially if you're planning to go to university). You already have good scaling subjects anyway (Chem, Phys, Maths Ext). If you like Ancient and Business, keep it.
Thank you. Yeah I got recommended to extension english based on my year 10 marks but I chose to give it a pass. I'm not too sure about business but I'm planning to drop that in year 12 anyways.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you. How did you find business? Was it content heavy?
Pretty easy to be honest. I had a good memory so memorising the content was not too bad. I found there was an effort with making notes and learning the content the first time around but then after that I would just need to read the notes I made to recall the content as it's quite a straight forward subject. If you put a decent amount of work in to the subject like staying on top of the content and revising your notes getting band 6 is achievable for most people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)