Difference between 'Evaluate' and 'To what extent'? (1 Viewer)

godmond

HSC
Hi, my current historical essay which needs 1200 words asks me to 'evaluate the view that the US had no other choice but to use the atomic bomb in 1945' against the Japanese. However, I am a bit stuck on starting my introduction and unsure whether to criticise the view or compare. Thanks

quickoats

HSC
Evaluate = make a judgement whereas to what extent needs to have a degree attached to it e.g. words with modality like extremely, or poorly etc

godmond

HSC
Evaluate = make a judgement whereas to what extent needs to have a degree attached to it e.g. words with modality like extremely, or poorly etc
I’m aware of the HSC key word criteria but I’m still unsure how to directly address the question at hand.

Yakult1

HSC
I’m aware of the HSC key word criteria but I’m still unsure how to directly address the question at hand.
For your question, you would want to identify the factors that ultimately made the US decide to use the atomic bomb, and then introduce your judgement followed by relevant evidence.

idkkdi

HSC
Hi, my current historical essay which needs 1200 words asks me to 'evaluate the view that the US had no other choice but to use the atomic bomb in 1945' against the Japanese. However, I am a bit stuck on starting my introduction and unsure whether to criticise the view or compare. Thanks
explore both sides of the argument and conclude with a slight slant in one direction for sophistication. look at main reasons that the us had for sending an atomic bomb and evaluate them, i.e. how valid they are etc, make a judgement. give counterexamples/details where the reason does not work and there are other choices. actual evaluation is crucial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)