Difference between photocells and solar cells?? (1 Viewer)

FcUk

Hey guys
can someone explain the difference between solar and photo cells coz to me they look fairly similiar in how they use light to produce current??

cheers

daniel

JayWalker

HSC
solar cells turn light into electrical energy via the photoelectric effect and semi conductors.
Photo cells are: Well: I dont know :)

superbird

HSC
photo cells are the same as solar cells.
pehaps ur question should've asked the different between solar cells and photoCONDUCTIVE cells?

tempco

HSC
Nah they aren't.. JayWalker's right with solar cells.. photocells consist of an anode and cathode (a target metal with a certain threshold frequency)... an example is a burgular alarm which goes off when a burglar switches on the light. The photons from the light bulb hits the cathode, which emits photoelectrons to the anode and completes the circuit, switching the alarm on. A breatheliser is also an example of a photocell.

helper

HSC
N/A
Photocells are a generic name for a device that converts light to electricity.
Solar cells are as Jaywalker said.
Photocells are either what nekkid or superbird said. Because solar cells are already described they probably mean what nekkid said for photocells.

S

Shuter

Photocells must be a Light Dependant Resistor. i.e. they don't create current but allow it to flow.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
solar cells = photovoltaic cells. they convert solar energy to electrical energy

nekkid is right with photocells. they are also used in electric 'eyes' and light meters

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)