Differences between Majors (1 Viewer)

Alimoe_KG

HSC
What kind of things are involved in Accounting and Finance majors?

How maths based are they or do they also have a strong theoretical side to it?

Also, other majors like Int. Business and Bus Strategy/Eco management, how useful are they or do they just exist to sound good? Are job opportunities good for them?

I've read all the guides and stuff on unsw's site and stuff but i'd love to hear 1st hand experience from other students.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm no uni student but I reckon you could've made your topic more clearer in the title- consider editing it to include the words "Accounting" and "Finance" =]

Alimoe_KG

HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm no uni student but I reckon you could've made your topic more clearer in the title- consider editing it to include the words "Accounting" and "Finance" =]
haha no. I want to know about ALL the majors :p And my first post implies as much since i also asked about things like Int. Bus :p

Plus, i don't think i can edit the title. =/

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Bummer.

Well from what I've heard from my sister who did B Comm at UNSW- she said that Biz Law was very fun and she learnt a lot of interesting and random things (such as "It's not compulsory for food companies to disclose nutritional information unless they claim to be healthy, diet or fat-free, etc..")... she also comajored in Accounting.

Capitalist

HSC
I'm only a second year so I can't really help you much.

But as far as finance is concerned, it depends on your electives.

As you know, finance is very much maths based, but there's also quite a bit of theory to it as well. But don't worry, the maths isn't difficult (for the cores, at least).

For the electives, depending on which ones you choose, you can get yourself into more complicated maths or go into more theory-based subjects if you like. As for me, I'll be doing Applied Corp Finance, and Options, Futures, etc. as my electives ~ I've been told they're quite hard.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Thanks Capitalist.

Could you possibly give me a few examples of theory based finance subjects?

illmatic

NaS
HSC
I was told by a lecturer than Finance involves very little maths and you don't have to be very good at it either?

Capitalist

HSC
As I said, from what I was told, the core subjects don't have much maths; well not complicated maths anyway...

FINS1612 Capital Markets and Institutions seems to be a good example of a "theory-based" subject, as it is basically just a crash course in finance, summarising all the different areas with very little maths.

Focuses on the major financial markets, including the equity, money, bond, exchange rate and derivatives markets. Students learn about the basics of financial instruments in these markets, such as bank bills, treasury bonds, futures and options and are exposed to the tools of analyses and the roles and innovations of major financial institutions. These include the banks and non-banks, such as finance companies, building societies and credit unions, life and insurance companies as well as investment management companies. Documents the emergence of the wealth management industry as an integral component of the Australian financial services sector.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
Why so?

THe subject material is more interesting to you?

Capitalist

HSC
Thanks, guys (illmatic, capitalist, bscienceboi). Looks like I'll be doing finance.
If you're doing straight BCom, why not double major then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)