Distinguished Achievers (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
I was wondering if someone has posted an Excel file of the Distinguished Achievers list like they did for 2002?? If it has been posted, would someone mind providing the link to the thread for me? Thanks :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
It wouldn't be too hard to do, but the best I can do, is to link you to BOS' statistics archive, including the Distinguished Achievers List.

2003 Higher School Certificate - Distinguished Achievers List

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/DSACH_2003_12.htm

2003 Higher School Certificate - Statistics Archive
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/ebos_stats.htm

You could probably create an Excel document (spreadsheet) from the lists provided, but I don't feel up to it really, truth be told. :(

Wahlito

It's annoying how the board split it up into about 30 smaller lists. If it was just one list i could do a ctrl+f and search for everyone from my school.

If i could get an excel file of it, that would be great.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'll write a small script to create one soon.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

It took me two hours to fully complete, because I knew there would be nobody here crazy enough to do it, so I ended up doing the lot.

Below, you will find a Complete List of Distinguished Achievers for the 2003 Higher School Certificate

Noteworthy points

- All 11850 names are included, even "Jonny" and "Vincent" - two guys without any surnames.

- Subjects are named instead of simply showing HSC Course Codes (the numbers assigned to each particular subject).

- Sorted alphabetically according to School Name.

Difficulties/annoyances

- The Board had the Distinguished Achievers List of students spanning multiple pages. This made the list a lot harder to compile:

Imagine visiting BOS, where every thread was listed on the Main Index, always having to click "Back" and visiting the Main Index everytime someone created a new thread - the entire Distinguished Achiever's Index Page was one big index page, with names (threads) listed on such an index.

- Two students did not have surnames, simply "Jonny" and "Vincent", but I added them anyway to the list.

- Finding HSC Course Names (subjects) for every HSC Course Code (number), then having to go back; finding and replacing each HSC Course Code (number) with HSC Course Names (subjects). This was made easier by way of the First Place in Course page, as compiled by the Board of Studies.

- Student Numbers containing HSC Course Codes. Some Student Numbers contained strings which were identical to the HSC Course Codes, meaning that whilst replacing each Course Code with Course Names, I accidentally (although unintentionally) replaced Student Numbers.

The biggest pain in the butt had been having to go through all the Student Numbers (selecting the column) and finding out if I had accidentally replaced any Numbers with Subjects. Type and range checks were performed.

- Double checking of each column, in case I had replaced anything unintentionally. Most of the 'errors' were found in Student Numbers, aforementioned.

- Sorting all fields alphabetically, according to school names (as had been requested by Wahlito). Since the spreadsheet has been sorted by School Name, it makes it easier for you to find your school, and found out how well other students performed in your own school (who got Band 6s).

If you want to sort the list by Student Number, Surnames, or even "who got the most Band 6s in the State" - you can! This means that you should be able to find out who got 100.00 UAI, simply by looking at the person with the most Band 6s (of course, this isn't always true, but you can tell who scored 99+).

- Expanding all fields to fit extreme (maximum) values, as you have surnames of unusual lengths, school names that are unusually long, and of course, those who had scored a Band 6 in more subjects than others.

I didn't want to "lose" this time - as I had been asleep when the Top 120 Schools in the State Listing was typed out. :shy:

Enjoy, :)

N.B. The file is 1.36MB and may take a while depending on your Internet connection/speeds.

Complete List of Distinguished Achievers for the 2003 Higher School Certificate
http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/DSACH_2003_12_HUY.xls

Last edited:
HSC
maaaaann you got waaaay too much time on your hands!

but thanks for writing it up neways~! :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
btw, could I get somebody to host this file please? It's about 0.4MB - and expands to just below 1.4MB. :)

My webspace provider doesn't really give me a lot of transfer bandwidth (daily quota), so I'd be appreciative if someone were to mirror the file to ease the load.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Thanks so much Huy! :D

I was trying to find someone, but didn't know her surname.

Let the real stalking begin! :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
You're welcome, mic/skip - presumably AGB and Wahlito too.

mic, don't forget BOS member (user) profiles - they sometimes contain subjects and school names, if you need verification. Start conversations with people, freaking them out by knowing which subjects they topped.

I'm especially interested in those who are getting 10 to 14 (if not more) units in the Band 6 range. They'll be the prime targets. Everything is publicly available, so it's not as though we're breaching privacy laws by publicising such lists. :D

Wahlito

OMG, Thanks so much Huy! This is just what i was looking for :) :)

Edit: Someone sticky this :p

Last edited:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy

mic, don't forget BOS member (user) profiles - they sometimes contain subjects and school names, if you need verification. Start conversations with people, freaking them out by knowing which subjects they topped.

I'm especially interested in those who are getting 10 to 14 (if not more) units in the Band 6 range. They'll be the prime targets. Everything is publicly available, so it's not as though we're breaching privacy laws by publicising such lists. :D
Lol, that sounds great. I'd love to freak them out.

Huy, do you know where I can access the lists from 2001 and 2002? I never saved them to my hard drive lol.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Wahlito, no problem man. What's a few hours out of my (uneventful) day? ;)

juggernaut, you can download Microsoft Excel Viewer from Microsoft, to open Excel spreadsheets (if you don't have it installed). And yes, it was just under twelve thousand rows.

Microsoft Excel Viewer for 97/2000
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx

Or if you're extremely lazy:

Direct download of Excel 97/2000 Viewer
http://download.microsoft.com/download/excel2000/Xlviewer/2000/WIN98/EN-US/xlViewer.exe

I am hoping it will have 'forward' compatibility with Office XP (2001) and Office 2003. Fingers crossed (I don't see why it wouldn't work).

mic, no, but you can visit the Statistics Archive

Distinguished Achievers List - 2002
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/DSACH_2002_12.htm

Distinguished Achievers List - 2001
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/DSACH_2001_12.htm

Statistics Archive
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/ebos_stats.htm

You can do the same thing I did above, for the past three years (from 2001 to 2003), it'll only take you a maximum of 4 to 6 hours (excluding my list above). ;)

I'm pretty sure Lazarus or one of the crew were able to create 2001 and 2002 Distinguished Achievers Lists - as I recall looking through the 2002 spreadsheet myself.

I don't have any links handy, sorry mic.

/edit
It was here:

2002 Distinguished Achievers list (as an MS Excel file)
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3754

Last edited:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Thanks so much once again Huy!

You're a legend and my angel!!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
AGB: I love you too, but I don't know about all the grinning and winking! Do you have something to proclaim to the world? Something about... closets? :p

mic: That's okay, you're very welcome. :)

I'm picking up a homo-vibe upon being called "your angel" (assuming you are male). Maybe it's just a homophobic tendency (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

BD: I ordered a shirt about a month, maybe a month and a half ago. But I haven't paid for it (I did however, purchase Ambition tickets, but was given a refund).

I can use my Ambition money to pay for the shirt, I believe I asked for one of those discounts when I was ordering. But free is good, I'll become like fatmuscle and never take it off. :D

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I've added Huy's file to our server. You can download all of them here:

As a sidenote, I don't really like having all of the top band courses in a single column (but that's easily fixed). And the spreadsheet looks much prettier than simple text. Nice work Huy. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)