DJ's... (1 Viewer)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Dynamix said:
Just wondered as there were heaps of guys posting in dance threads if there was any DJs out there? I DJ in Newcastle and Maitland when i can...
what choons do you lay down?

~Perfection

-Funked Up-
HSC
I have a few friends who DJ at clubs.. mainly house and breaks though..

Im yet to get behind the decks.. soon hopefully and give it a go.
mmm technics

~Perfection

-Funked Up-
HSC
paganinio said:
I'm not but I'm curious that..when a song is being played, what are you doing?
picking the next track.. reading the crowd... working in/setting up the next track.. dancing

Dynamix

North by Northwest and then turning slightly East
HSC
definately try the turntables perfection, when you find that ecstacy that sends a crowd completely crazy and sends shivers down your spine, it tops any drug.
While a song is playing, because i like long mixes i generally have only 2 or 3 minutes, so im picking the next track, taking a quick look at the crowd and sometimes having a mouthful of water- but thats just me, some djs that like short mixes sometimes get down onto the floor and mix in with the crowd....

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
i used to dj last year but gave it away.. i want to get back into it..
however, i was "a big fish in a small pond" so maybe im talentless in the city :S
who knows?

Atotoi

HSC
transcendent said:
how expensive is djing and is the pay worth it?
well yeh you'll need @ least $1000, and thats only if you get a cheapie Stanton Pack and a few vinyls...
IF you want to go for a better set.. you'd probably be expecting the infamous "Technics 1200's" right?
So then, with a good mixer etc you're probably looking @ close to 3K.

Vinyl is quite expensive, $30 if you're lucky.
When i started, i knew someone who had Pioneer CDJ-800's :D , so that way i just bought & burnt cd's and learnt that way..then moved on to the Ecko Pioneer Vinyl Dj pack.

The pay? It depends if youre good at what you do and if you enjoy it.. i only dj for the fun of it.. getting those beats in tightly and wow... the first time i beatmixed and got two tracks in, it was orgasmic!

Dynamix

HSC
kinda depends tho wot sort of djing u want to do- if its proper deckwork, then your gonna need plenty of cash and unless u get real good real fast that investment isnt coming back to you anytime soon.

If u wanna do the crap work (we all did it, its called earning your stripes) then cds or i used to (sometimes still do when theres nuthin else round) use my laptop with a decent program, and if u have the laptop u can do it the illegal way like i did and it costs you nuthin.

But djs dont work for the $- ask any decent deckman (or woman, sorry i had to put that in under duress) and theyll say that they would do it if there wasnt any money at the end of the night, cos they love it. Get good enough and the pay is definately worth it tho.

Atotoi

HSC
what program do you use?

personally.. i love the feel of vinyl, its so responsive.. as compared to the CDJ's and computer's..

Dynamix

HSC
atm im using this program called virtual dj- its pretty old but im comfortable with it and it visually shows the vinyls, which i like- its got beat matching, auto mix, but i hate using them, i try to use them like real decks.

I love using vinyl too, its just the allure of it- when someone says dj everyone alway thinks vinyl and decks.

~Perfection

-Funked Up-
HSC
Yeah, technics are very expensive. For one turntable its $1200, so all up $2400 + mixer + amp.

My friend also bought a CD mixer for $1500 aswell.

It's a pretty costly hobby

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
I don't DJ perse, but I have been on the same bill as DJ's before.
What a fucking weird gig that was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)