Do Captions count in the word limit? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey

i was just wondering, for example if i had like a diagram in my essay and i choose to put like a one sentence caption under it, does that count in the word limit?

For example:

Diagram

Caption: Digram 1 showing etc etc. (Does this count in the word limit?)

Thanks.

antisheep

HSC
conquer... you're asking the wrong people

none of us are doing your subject (or very few are) so we can't really tell you... you should be asking tutors, lecturers, your convenor or others doing your subject....

it might vary from subject to subject whether they count captions or not, don't risk getting bad advice... e-mail your teachers...

chances are they'll be happy to answer (unless of course it's in the assignment brief in which case prepare for a berating on not reading well enough)

I know you're just looking for help with these threads but I think you might get better help elsewhere for super specific questions like this...

HSC
conquer... you're asking the wrong people

none of us are doing your subject (or very few are) so we can't really tell you... you should be asking tutors, lecturers, your convenor or others doing your subject....

it might vary from subject to subject whether they count captions or not, don't risk getting bad advice... e-mail your teachers...

chances are they'll be happy to answer (unless of course it's in the assignment brief in which case prepare for a berating on not reading well enough)

I know you're just looking for help with these threads but I think you might get better help elsewhere for super specific questions like this...
yeah, hardly any1 in the macq forum do science degrees, its mostly the arts and commerce people who post in these forums..

anyways..i checked the unit outline and it said that references and diagrams dont count in the word limit, so i guess since a caption is part of the diagram and the diagram itself doesnt have any sentences, then i guess captions dont count...but yeah ill prolly ask a person in my class about it :eek:

im nearly finished though, which im heaps happy about :)

on a different note, hows 3rd year uni goin for you? workload must be quite a lot since ur doing a double degree..

Odyssey2001

HSC
yeah, hardly any1 in the macq forum do science degrees, its mostly the arts and commerce people who post in these forums..
I'm doing a science degree =D But anyway like you've already seen in you unit outline the captions underneath diagrams and pictures don't count and neither does the reference list (don't ask why but when I first started uni I thought they did LOL!). But if you have questions go speak to your lecturers or tutors they don't bit and are usually very helpful.

Also I'm not sure if its mentioned in your essay outline but there are also proper ways that you need to represent diagrams as in the information under them. Also in your reference list make sure you list them in alphabetical order I lost points in a first year essay for not doing that.

Anyway good luck in you first(?) essay :)

antisheep

HSC

anyways..i checked the unit outline and it said that references and diagrams dont count in the word limit, so i guess since a caption is part of the diagram and the diagram itself doesnt have any sentences, then i guess captions dont count...but yeah ill prolly ask a person in my class about it :eek:

im nearly finished though, which im heaps happy about :)

on a different note, hows 3rd year uni goin for you? workload must be quite a lot since ur doing a double degree..
I'm glad to hear you've sorted it out! BOS is an awesome resource for a lot of things but somethings you just can't beat a look through the outline or asking a lecturer.

And i'm not in third year, i'm in second... i did a year at UTS before moving to MQ but to answer your question, i'm loving it so much more than first year. It's nice to get away from introductory stuff in both commerce and law a bit and learn how to actually do/apply things... I'm finding what i'm learning this year is more applicable to my future than what I learnt last year, not to say that last year was a waste of time... it was necessary. Workload is crazier this year but double degree people usually don't have a higher workload than single degree people... we're just at uni for longer :p

But yeah... good luck with it all! Seems you're getting stuck into your assignments early and everything which is a good way to be.

HSC
I'm doing a science degree =D But anyway like you've already seen in you unit outline the captions underneath diagrams and pictures don't count and neither does the reference list (don't ask why but when I first started uni I thought they did LOL!). But if you have questions go speak to your lecturers or tutors they don't bit and are usually very helpful.

Also I'm not sure if its mentioned in your essay outline but there are also proper ways that you need to represent diagrams as in the information under them. Also in your reference list make sure you list them in alphabetical order I lost points in a first year essay for not doing that.

Anyway good luck in you first(?) essay :)
hey,

cool ur doing science too. a girl doing astronomy and astrophysics...thats pretty cool, i thought only guys do that course lol...

thanks for the tips. yeah i did my reference list in alphabetical order (phew)

hmm but like why does it matter if its in alphabetical order or not?

:]

HSC
I'm glad to hear you've sorted it out! BOS is an awesome resource for a lot of things but somethings you just can't beat a look through the outline or asking a lecturer.

And i'm not in third year, i'm in second... i did a year at UTS before moving to MQ but to answer your question, i'm loving it so much more than first year. It's nice to get away from introductory stuff in both commerce and law a bit and learn how to actually do/apply things... I'm finding what i'm learning this year is more applicable to my future than what I learnt last year, not to say that last year was a waste of time... it was necessary. Workload is crazier this year but double degree people usually don't have a higher workload than single degree people... we're just at uni for longer :p

But yeah... good luck with it all! Seems you're getting stuck into your assignments early and everything which is a good way to be.
i just thought u were 3rd yr coz it says u finished ur hsc in 2006 lol.

cool sounds like ur enjoying it, good luck :music:

lol 10 days isnt starting early i think, but i reckon i can get at least a passin that first assignment :haha:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i just thought u were 3rd yr coz it says u finished ur hsc in 2006 lol.

cool sounds like ur enjoying it, good luck :music:

lol 10 days isnt starting early i think, but i reckon i can get at least a passin that first assignment :haha:
Im sure you can do better than a pass, why not talk it over with your lecturer during their consult hours? They're surprisingly helpful! (or at least so i've found so far)

antisheep

HSC
Im sure you can do better than a pass, why not talk it over with your lecturer during their consult hours? They're surprisingly helpful! (or at least so i've found so far)
yeah i find that the rule of thumb with lecturers is they want to help those that want to help themselves... i.e. come to them with problems early, asking questions that haven't been answered a thousand times and the vast majority will go above and beyond to help...

come to them 2 days before a major assignments due, asking questions that they've answered 3000 times... you probably won't find them so welcoming.

Odyssey2001

HSC
hey,

cool ur doing science too. a girl doing astronomy and astrophysics...thats pretty cool, i thought only guys do that course lol...

thanks for the tips. yeah i did my reference list in alphabetical order (phew)

hmm but like why does it matter if its in alphabetical order or not?

:]
Lol how many times have I encountered someone surprised about the course I'm doing :haha:

Not sure about why it has to be in Alphabetical order I guess its just one of those rules either follow or else. My very first Uni essay I ever wrote was a complete disaster for 1 reason and 1 reason alone; it was due on Monday and I started on Saturday! Not saying that people can’t do this and get a D (I hate you people!) but its good to see you started early and not learn the lesson of starting it to late like some people do.

Also you should always be confident on trying to get more than a Pass, a lecturer once told me that "If you only ever aim for a Pass then thats all you'll ever get because you haven't pushed yourself as hard as you know you could have." so go for gold AKA a Cr or better ;)

HSC
Lol how many times have I encountered someone surprised about the course I'm doing :haha:

Not sure about why it has to be in Alphabetical order I guess its just one of those rules either follow or else. My very first Uni essay I ever wrote was a complete disaster for 1 reason and 1 reason alone; it was due on Monday and I started on Saturday! Not saying that people can’t do this and get a D (I hate you people!) but its good to see you started early and not learn the lesson of starting it to late like some people do.

Also you should always be confident on trying to get more than a Pass, a lecturer once told me that "If you only ever aim for a Pass then thats all you'll ever get because you haven't pushed yourself as hard as you know you could have." so go for gold AKA a Cr or better ;)
yeah its just that its rare for girls to do astrophysics i guess lol.

lol yeah, i guess getting more than a pass is good, but hey, this isnt the hsc where u have to compete over 68 000 people :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)