Do employers care about anything in your school record other than academics? (1 Viewer)

johnnys20

HSC
Hi all :),

Back in year 11, I was a pretty bad kid, eventually I got my name on the school's bully list for constantly arguing with a really entitled kid (I don't know if every school does this, I went to a private school (hence why there was a 'really entitled kid')). Things have gotten better, I'm no longer the 'bully' I was. I am currently doing my second year in Mechatronics at UNSW and I'm getting kinda paranoid about this record. Some of my friends have told me that employers only care about the academics, and some say that they don't care about high school records at all, but I just want to make sure. Any reply is appreciated

johnnys20

HSC
How on earth would an employer even know you were on some obscure list at some school? Might as well ask if employers will know that you didn't actually get your pen licence in primary school.
Thank you so much, that is the straightforward assurance I need. Now I can rest in peace.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I mean apperantly some ask for a school reference but that hasn’t really been my experience.

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
I mean apperantly some ask for a school reference but that hasn’t really been my experience.
Lol what...

My high school teachers talking about me: "This kid did absolutely jack in class. Played games and never did the homework. We do not recommend him"

blyatman

HSC
N/A
The only time they would ask for HS references is if you were still in HS and applying for a job lol. If you're in uni and put down your high school referees, then you're really grasping at straws there...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wonder if you managed to hide your dark past...

... for what it's worth I got suspended for bullying/fighting and it had 0 impact on my scholarship applications/etc. Probably helped that I still got a letter of commendation from the principal though.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I've sorted through a lot of job applications over the years, many from new graduates. The only relevant details from school are usually positive - if an applicant has been Dux of their school, achieved a high ATAR (applicants usually only include if 98+) or outstanding achievement at national or international level in some extracurricular activity. Selection committee panels simply look at how well the provided information match the criteria for the position. High school details are usually optional.

ETA: HR do always perform criminal checks but high school misdemeanors would rarely be included in criminal records.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
A high number of unexplained absences or some other obvious red flag might still attract attention if you're asked to provide your school report (vs just inputting the ATAR/marks).

dan964

MOD
HSC
Uni Grad

Back in year 11, I was a pretty bad kid, eventually I got my name on the school's bully list for constantly arguing with a really entitled kid (I don't know if every school does this, I went to a private school (hence why there was a 'really entitled kid')). Things have gotten better, I'm no longer the 'bully' I was. I am currently doing my second year in Mechatronics at UNSW and I'm getting kinda paranoid about this record. Some of my friends have told me that employers only care about the academics, and some say that they don't care about high school records at all, but I just want to make sure. Any reply is appreciated

If you are just out of high school, then yeah it matters but only if the school bothers to mention it on the reference or if you put down a teacher as a reference whether they think it is worth mentioning.

By the time you are finished uni, not even your ATAR really matters; and in certain fields, and experience is more valuable than even your qualification (although some jobs still require a qualification!).

By the time you are 4 years out, you should either be using work references or academic references from university.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
OP probably won't go online anymore but I guess this is still relevant to anyone that's currently at uni - try to get a job while you're completing your studies (preferably in your industry) as experience gained can greatly benefit you once you graduate and receive your degree and start looking for full-time jobs.

enoilgam

HSC

Even that is a stretch, if we are talking about grad roles, only a minority will request your ATAR and even then, it will hardly be a decisive part of your application (uni marks count for more). Beyond grad roles your high school record is irrelevant. In the 8 years Ive been working in HR, the only time Ive ever seen a school reference requested was for a school leavers style office apprenticeship aimed at finishing Year 12 students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)