do graded math classes matter in year 9? (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
why would they do it in a selective school though?At least where i go there are people who get higher scores in lower classes than in higher classes(though to be fair the lowest mostly stays there in averages)some peopl in lower classes score higher than in the top class.
in the junior years in my (selective) school, only the top two classes (i think) are ranked, everyone else is mixed (i was in the mixed classes the whole time from 7-10), i believe it to be for the same reason i said before. but my sister goes to a separate selective school and their classes for maths are ranked top to bottom for junior years.

in senior years every maths class is ranked if you're doing maths extension 1, and it's kind of a rough indicator for those schools as to which classes are going to end up being 4u classes in year 12, and which will be staying as 3u classes. though when term 4 of year 12 started, there was a bit of shuffling going around (especially classes ranked in the middle due to people getting into 4u and others staying in 3u) but most of the classes stayed roughly the same

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Is it true some selective schools only pick top 75 students to do chem and physics? I heard Penrith is implementing it now

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
when i have an exam i’m gonna try this i always thought it was bs tbh πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Its not necessarily be4 exams tho, you gotta try like 10-20 mins periodically at home to embrace your 'inner peace' and 'release your thoughts'- tbh I just think of it as a nap while sitting down.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Is it true some selective schools only pick top 75 students to do chem and physics? I heard Penrith is implementing it now
no other school than penrith has to my knowledge. i know selective schools pick ext 2 maths and english students but i had no idea they picked people for chem and phys? it might not be true though, because that means they'd be picking people based on their year 10 science marks (if that's the case i would not have been able to do chem lmfao, i flopped year 10 science so bad)

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
I know a student who was not permitted to do chem bc he wasn't able to rank top 75, and so he transferred to another school in order to do chem

raspberriesandpears

HSC
Its not necessarily be4 exams tho, you gotta try like 10-20 mins periodically at home to embrace your 'inner peace' and 'release your thoughts'- tbh I just think of it as a nap while sitting down.
meditation and breathing scare me - i lie there and immediately Every Thought Ever enters my brain. maybe i should try it again although i literally can't sit still

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
I know a student who was not permitted to do chem bc he wasn't able to rank top 75, and so he transferred to another school in order to do chem
that's really weird, i've heard of schools stopping people from doing certain levels of english or maths but chem/phys seems unnecessary and unfair

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
From knowledge/experience, 4u selection would either be if you're above a certain rank or have acheived a/b in 3u prelim

in the junior years in my (selective) school, only the top two classes (i think) are ranked, everyone else is mixed (i was in the mixed classes the whole time from 7-10), i believe it to be for the same reason i said before. but my sister goes to a separate selective school and their classes for maths are ranked top to bottom for junior years.

in senior years every maths class is ranked if you're doing maths extension 1, and it's kind of a rough indicator for those schools as to which classes are going to end up being 4u classes in year 12, and which will be staying as 3u classes. though when term 4 of year 12 started, there was a bit of shuffling going around (especially classes ranked in the middle due to people getting into 4u and others staying in 3u) but most of the classes stayed roughly the same
Same situation at my school (I think). Only the top class below accel was ranked for maths in junior.

personally for me its not that i dont understand the content,when it comes to tests either i fail to fully comprehend the question or make silly mistakes under the stress.no matter how much i study this always happens and i dont know how to fix it
My tutor told me about mindfulness (mediation) but I don't think I was very good at that sorta process, did help in calming the nerves a bit though

kkk579

hello
HSC
personally for me its not that i dont understand the content,when it comes to tests either i fail to fully comprehend the question or make silly mistakes under the stress.no matter how much i study this always happens and i dont know how to fix it
but the main thing is probably nerves (im the same)
but as for not being able to fully comprehend the q u need to do more than textbook qs(exam style qs) so that in exams when qs pop up with more ig β€œabstract ideas” you’ll know how to apply the theory and ideas that u have learnt

raspberriesandpears

HSC
oh i used to always make silly mistakes in maths (still do tbf) and i got 53% on my maths adv trial bc of them. i managed to get like 95% on the hsc itself (like 2 months later), so i can try to give you some tips?

- practice tests are literally my love, do the questions and then GO THROUGH THE ANSWERS and look at what you're required to put down so you don't lose marks for working/not simplifying. also they can help you notice how questions are asked, so you don't get tripped up as much.
- try to develop a routine before every exam to get yourself into the zone (i listened to one specific song every time)
- don't let yourself get away with silly mistakes when marking in class questions, i marked them right all the time like 'oh i knew what i was doing'. it lulled me into a false sense of security.
- recognise your patterns. do you muck up after a hard question, because you begin to doubt your ability? or do you get overconfident after an easy question? take a deep breath between each; remember every question is a different ball game.
- remember that you start the exam with 0 marks. you're simply gaining marks - if you don't get a question, it's just a mark you didn't get. you still got a lot, and that's something you can work on!!

finally, just be thankful you have two years to rectify your issues and don't have to do it in two months :hammer:

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
does it matter or influence anything if you get into a low math class in year 9?
does it harm your ability to perform better?
Year 9 is the first time when the maths curriculum differentiates (into 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3). So long as you are studying the content of 5.3 and understand it all thoroughly, then all options are probably still available later, noting PP’s cautionary comments that many schools limit the number of people in their advanced, Extn 1 and Extn 2 classes.

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
meditation and breathing scare me - i lie there and immediately Every Thought Ever enters my brain. maybe i should try it again although i literally can't sit still
I’ve heard learning about meditation assists in preventing thoughts to fill your mind during meditation, one thing that helped for me was learning a little thing or two about Buddhism to understand what I’m ultimately trying to achieve using this mediation.

ris08

HSC
all classes can do mathematics advanced in year 11

carrotsss

HSC
I think lots of people have this misconception in believing that rural areas possess the same type of opportunities as urban citizens. (no hate though its just a clarification) Although content for all hsc subjects is the same. Most rural and regional students get very low educational pressure from parents- which ultimately means not many students who actually want to succeed in school. In my school, there's 4 classes for 5.3, and 2-3 for the other bands (5.2, 5.1)- and I can say with a straight face only about 10-15 students in the top class who actually give a shit about their careers when they get older- while others in the same band sit in the bathrooms vaping lol. But that's the harsh reality of rural residency. Obviously, I'm in a better position than other students in other schools, and I'm truly grateful for that, but it’s still annoying to know I'm behind in school.
It’s not that bad you’re overreacting way too much 😭

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)