do i need to do 4u maths for 99 plus? (1 Viewer)

poptarts12345

HSC
I know its only been 2 wks of yr 12, but I dont know if I can do 4u maths. I've got 11 units so should I drop it, or should I keep it for longer?

beetree1

HSC
I would keep it, you may find it to be very rewarding due to scaling etc. I think if you can do 3u, you can do 4u lol

HSC
N/A
Doing well in 4U is very helpful if you want to get 99+. But even if you don't do it, you can still get this ATAR by acing your other subjects.

Give it a try and study hard. If it ends up being too much then you should probably drop it.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Obviously if you are capable and willing to put in the work then it can definitely help as it has high scaling

In saying that getting a 99+ without 4 unit maths is also possible. I only did 2 unit math and 3 unit math, although I did get very high band 6s in these and could've done 4 unit I chose not to so I could maximise my marks in things like english through more practice time. I ended up with a high 99 ATAR. Another friend of mine only did 2 unit maths and what you would consider medium scaling subjects like english adv, legal studies, economics and SOR 1 and he got a 99 as well

Lazzzzzyyyyyy...

HSC
Getting 99+ without 4U is definitely possible and in my opinion, it's not worth keeping if you don't think you'll be able to perform well in it, given the fact that 'well' in 4U maths is defined a bit differently compared to other subjects because of how well it scales but if you're getting, for example, 30%, no matter how well it scales that won't give you anywhere close to a band 6.

My advice would be to keep it for now and see how it goes (probably until the end of this term) but if its clearly one of your weakest subjects or you don't think you have the required time and effort for it then it'd probably be best to drop, especially if you're doing extremely well in your other 10 units.

poptarts12345

HSC
also do you guys think its worth taking 11 units to hsc or should i eventually drop to 10 units?

Lazzzzzyyyyyy...

HSC
also do you guys think its worth taking 11 units to hsc or should i eventually drop to 10 units?
Depends on how strong your other subjects are and most importantly, how much confidence you have in the 10 units you keep. If you want a 'safety net', as many people prefer, that would be a fair reason to have 11 units. Of course, you could always wait until after your first assessments to decide how much confidence you have in yourself to do well in your chosen 10 units to decide whether to drop from 11 units to 10 units.

Basically, 11 units mean you have a safety net. 10 units mean you're able to focus on those subjects more and put more time/effort into them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)