do i understand? - uai (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok, they take ur HSC mark that u get, and see how far it is above the state average. they then scale it. then they add your best 10 scaled units, and see what that adds up to, match (not quite mathc but u know) it to the aggregates thing, and there's your uai??

so, in 2002, from the tables at the back of the scaling report - if i got a mark of 88 in adv english, they halve it to get 44, and then that 44 is in the 90th percentile (meaning you performed equal to or better than 90 percent of the state). then this comes to a scaled mark of 42.5.

they do this for all your subjects, add the best 10 together, find where it fits on the aggregates, and there's your uai??????

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
More or less. :)

The scaling process involves far more than simply looking at the percentile and a table of statistics, but the method you've described could be used easily enough to calculate past UAIs.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Laz. Do you think by adding 10 units of school assessment marks gives an accurate indication of the aggregate used to determine the UAI?
I ask this because a friend chooses to believe that by adding his school marks he has calculated an approximation of his future aggregate which will give him a UAI over 90. I want to prove him wrong because there is a whole lot of moderating and scaling in between that could drastically affect the outcome of his aggregate.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Certainly not - your raw school assessment marks aren't even a good indication of your raw exam marks, let alone your scaled marks!

I'd give you my marks as an example, but my assessment UAI only came out to be one point higher than my actual UAI. Normally, that wouldn't happen - it's just a product of being at the upper end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the raw assessment marks of any other students, so I can't actually give you any empirical evidence.

Just call him a fool. :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
YES! thanks, i understand the basics of something!

ok but here's my next question, say studies of religion1, they say that a mark of 35 is in the 25th percentile - does that mean 75% of people would have got higher than 35?

because going by trial marks in our school, only 6 people got above 35, (that's like 5% of students)and no one above the 75th percentile on that table. I wouldn't say our school was that bad, generally we get a few band 6ers in this subject every year. SO, it that why school assessment it not a good indication?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
ok but here's my next question, say studies of religion1, they say that a mark of 35 is in the 25th percentile - does that mean 75% of people would have got higher than 35?
Yes.

because going by trial marks in our school, only 6 people got above 35, (that's like 5% of students)and no one above the 75th percentile on that table. I wouldn't say our school was that bad, generally we get a few band 6ers in this subject every year. SO, it that why school assessment it not a good indication?
That's exactly why school assessments are not good indicators. :) Your example is testament to that.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok thanks! because with my trial mark i would have got a bloody low uai, but i got good ranks, and above average in all of them

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
they add your best 10 scaled units
???

I thought that they took your english and best 8? Well maybe I am wrong. I will testify if I am cause I've been anti-english since nam!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Jumbo Cactuar
???

I thought that they took your english and best 8? Well maybe I am wrong. I will testify if I am cause I've been anti-english since nam!
yeah, sorry, i forgot about that, i just automatically add english into the 10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)