do you need to study for 4u in year 11? (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I think the old 4U is harder than the new 4U.
It'd be most helpful to start on your 4U as soon as you are able - but much of this requires you to have the foundational 2U & 3U maths. I know most Asian (including the South Asians!) also have begun their 2U/3U work at least 6 months earlier.
If you wait to begin at Term 4, you are not giving yourself enough time to digest the course content, esp. the harder or more novel concepts. Of course, if you are a genius, 3 months of study for 4U is way too long; you can absorb the course content like a good blotter(do you even know what this is; much used over 60 years ago).

tito981

HSC
It'd be most helpful to start on your 4U as soon as you are able - but much of this requires you to have the foundational 2U & 3U maths. I know most Asian (including the South Asians!) also have begun their 2U/3U work at least 6 months earlier.
If you wait to begin at Term 4, you are not giving yourself enough time to digest the course content, esp. the harder or more novel concepts. Of course, if you are a genius, 3 months of study for 4U is way too long; you can absorb the course content like a good blotter(do you even know what this is; much used over 60 years ago).
Alright, will take into account, thanks for the info!

tito981

HSC
oh, and any advice on what topic to learn first would also be appreciated.

studiesofboard

HSC
Yeah probably a good idea to start as soon as possible so you can get in the habit of studying for it. Also, so you know the basis of the subject if you choose to continue it in year 12. :)

idkkdi

HSC
Can confirm that 3months of study for 4U is an overestimation. This is assuming that they don't actually do all the questions in the Cambridge book. Vectors, mechanics and calculus can be picked up quite quickly. Proof section can be straight up skipped by Olympiad participants. Complex numbers may also get skipped/partly skipped. I wouldn't be surprised if people looked at the 4U syllabus and said "oh, I already know all of it."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)