Do you work part-time/casual? (1 Viewer)

Ethicks

HSC
Basically the question is the thread title and if so how many hours per week do you work and does it affect your study?

I've just been offered a job at Liverpool Hospital on weekends for 4 hours each day and with Sunday rates this is really worth while. The hours are perfect (9am - 1pm). It will be a great way for me to earn extra cash and it's really not taking away from my studying, the only down side is the 1 hour train trip which compared to some people is nothing and on weekends who cares.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like a good gig if you get good experience too - not sure how relevant it is to your career path though.

FWIW I did full time uni and full time study simultaneously for a few years. 6 hours on a Sunday isn't going to be that bad and besides you can use the 2 hours on the train to either study, relax or sleep.

Ethicks

HSC
Sounds like a good gig if you get good experience too - not sure how relevant it is to your career path though.

FWIW I did full time uni and full time study simultaneously for a few years. 6 hours on a Sunday isn't going to be that bad and besides you can use the 2 hours on the train to either study, relax or sleep.
Yeah it's pretty relevant, it's a job working in Biochemistry at Pathology basically all blood samples are centrifuged and sent to me to aliquot, put on the machines and verify correct patient to sample etc.. And of course there will be the usual QC (Quality Control) checks required with the machines. Essentially this will add more experience to my profile and aid in my goal of laboratory manager of a lab. The not-so-fun part is rejecting samples that were poorly collected and making phone calls for recollection due to them being hemolyzed/clotted.

I'm at the point where I am just sick of sitting around home all day on the weekend doing study here and there, I want to get out and do something/meet people and this seems like a good start.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it's pretty relevant, it's a job working in Biochemistry at Pathology basically all blood samples are centrifuged and sent to me to aliquot, put on the machines and verify correct patient to sample etc.. And of course there will be the usual QC (Quality Control) checks required with the machines. Essentially this will add more experience to my profile and aid in my goal of laboratory manager of a lab. The not-so-fun part is rejecting samples that were poorly collected and making phone calls for recollection due to them being hemolyzed/clotted.

I'm at the point where I am just sick of sitting around home all day on the weekend doing study here and there, I want to get out and do something/meet people and this seems like a good start.
Sounds like you have a great opportunity in front of you. I'd go for it if I were you but obviously be mindful of when you need to study/prep for uni, and if needed, you may need to bring forward some of your study plans to give you buffer in case something unexpected happens.

hdl

HSC
From my experience, a job has definately helped me get my time management together and become more organised (plus $$$), as i've learnt to study in the precious time that i have etc
And if the work is relevant to what you want to do as you said, then that's just an added bonus as it'll look good on your resume!!! Plus, after going to many careers info sessions, it seems employers like to know that you can have EC on the side and also study :)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Sounds like a great opportunity, go for it !

Liverpool hospital is one of the larger hospitals as well so it would be a fantastic experience. Additionally, you could always leverage off this experience and get a role closer to your home later on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)