does anyone here do software (1 Viewer)

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
well im doing it in 2016, so im starting prelims next year. what's it like?

duhdevitt

HSC
well im doing it in 2016, so im starting prelims next year. what's it like?
guys at my school said it's really shit in a way, but if you like it you'll enjoy it. Software is legit a pain

rexona <3

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
guys at my school said it's really shit in a way, but if you like it you'll enjoy it. Software is legit a pain

rexona <3
i see.. well i like computers and i dealt with IPT so i guess i should be ok. im not a big fan of programming languages tho, so egh

swagmeister

HSC

rexona <3
I do it, programming is fun but there is heaps of work on the theory and I would say it is more risky of an exam then IPT cause you have all the algorithm questions, I generally do quite while at them but still. And the syllabus is MASSIVE

duhdevitt

HSC
I do it, programming is fun but there is heaps of work on the theory and I would say it is more risky of an exam then IPT cause you have all the algorithm questions, I generally do quite while at them but still. And the syllabus is MASSIVE
yeh that's heaps true, software is my hardest subject and I'm doing physics LOL

rexona <3

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
oh nooooooooooo arent all syllabuses (sylabusi??) meant to be same length??
also isnt there like a system development life cycle with project management, understanding the problem, planning designing etc?
i also heard there isn't so much 'higher order thinking' and connecting concepts to contexts..

swagmeister

HSC
oh nooooooooooo arent all syllabuses (sylabusi??) meant to be same length??
also isnt there like a system development life cycle with project management, understanding the problem, planning designing etc?
i also heard there isn't so much 'higher order thinking' and connecting concepts to contexts..
No, not necessarily they don't all have to be the same length

Yes there is a system development life cycle

There isn't so much connecting to concepts to concepts for about 1/3 of the exam, but for the rest with understanding the functions of pieces of code as well as diagrams and algorithm and scenario questions there is quite a lot of higher order thinking. And these make the exam a bit risky. What makes it hard is you have to know heaps of content and rote learn it to prepare you for the 1/3 while also gaining heaps of experience with programming and higher order thinking to prepare you for the rest. But to do well on the 1/3 you have to spend heaps of time making notes and memorising stuff, just as much if not more time then you spend on the higher order thinking stuff.

If you are passionate about it that's fine, but make sure you are passionate about the intricate details of theory and not just programming in general as I ways.

Hope I've helped!

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
No, not necessarily they don't all have to be the same length

Yes there is a system development life cycle

There isn't so much connecting to concepts to concepts for about 1/3 of the exam, but for the rest with understanding the functions of pieces of code as well as diagrams and algorithm and scenario questions there is quite a lot of higher order thinking. And these make the exam a bit risky. What makes it hard is you have to know heaps of content and rote learn it to prepare you for the 1/3 while also gaining heaps of experience with programming and higher order thinking to prepare you for the rest. But to do well on the 1/3 you have to spend heaps of time making notes and memorising stuff, just as much if not more time then you spend on the higher order thinking stuff.

If you are passionate about it that's fine, but make sure you are passionate about the intricate details of theory and not just programming in general as I ways.

Hope I've helped!
ok thanks :D you ve definitely helped!!
ill keep that in mind, and if i dont like it i might swap to ..... ugh..... dont have any other subjects im interested in!.... oh well i think ill like it. the teacher's great and the class is really small so that'll be really good learning.

swagmeister

HSC
ok thanks :D you ve definitely helped!!
ill keep that in mind, and if i dont like it i might swap to ..... ugh..... dont have any other subjects im interested in!.... oh well i think ill like it. the teacher's great and the class is really small so that'll be really good learning.
Yeah I'm doing it online so that makes it even worse, if you have a teacher that's with you the whole time you will be probs be fine. The other annoying thing for me is that we jump around with the topics in order to be able to cover almost everything at some degree for our first assessment, which making note taking as well as exam prep a nightmare. I'm thinking of dropping it even though I am rank 1/23 haha

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Yeah I'm doing it online so that makes it even worse, if you have a teacher that's with you the whole time you will be probs be fine. The other annoying thing for me is that we jump around with the topics in order to be able to cover almost everything at some degree for our first assessment, which making note taking as well as exam prep a nightmare. I'm thinking of dropping it even though I am rank 1/23 haha
oh what?! thats ridiculous to jump around for differernt topics... i would hate that and i totally get this then ^.
do how you feel, but 1/23 is pretty great, good job!
do you ever meet your fellow students if you do it online? is it open high schooL?

swagmeister

HSC
oh what?! thats ridiculous to jump around for differernt topics... i would hate that and i totally get this then ^.
do how you feel, but 1/23 is pretty great, good job!
do you ever meet your fellow students if you do it online? is it open high schooL?
yah we meet up once a term, nah its by a thing called hsconline.nsw.edu.au

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
woah thats sort of weird... i was gonna take russian online but thought twice about having a school environment with german and took that instead :p well good luck with SDD then if you continue it!

dragerx

HSC
Worst part about software is remembering which syllabus dot points relate to the question, the content is easy as hell to remember. BTW did anyone memorise all the Standard Algorithms, or do we just need to understand the logic behind them?

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Come on... 95% of SDD is bullshit memorisation. There are minimal amounts of higher-order thinking in some sections, but it's nothing compared to maths or physics or english any subject that actually requires thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)