Does aos align? (1 Viewer)

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
I was wondering if AOS aligns, because so far I've only heard that paper 2 Aligns.
so does that mean if someone gets 60/60 for paper 2 as a raw mark(that is full marks in all three modules without aligning), would that person have their english marks aligned at all?

SnowTau

HSC
Aligning and scaling are two different things. Aligning occurs when the BOS turns raw exam marks into final exam marks, whilst scaling occurs when the UAC calculates your ATAR.
Does that mean you can essentially get two minor boosts to your mark?

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
Aligning and scaling are two different things. Aligning occurs when the BOS turns raw exam marks into final exam marks, whilst scaling occurs when the UAC calculates your ATAR.
thanks for the clarification. but is my original post true, that if you actually get full RAW marks for paper 2, you wouldn't benefit from the aligning process?

enoilgam

HSC
Well aligning can significantly boost your mark. For example, last year a raw mark of 94/120 in 2 unit was the cutoff for a band 6. Scaling however, doesnt boost your marks, it just gives them a weighting (really broad explanation)

SnowTau

HSC
Well aligning can significantly boost your mark. For example, last year a raw mark of 94/120 in 2 unit was the cutoff for a band 6. Scaling however, doesnt boost your marks, it just gives them a weighting (really broad explanation)
I see... this whole thing has never really made sense haha. Thanks.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Paper 1 will align due to standards set in the band descriptors for English.
Paper 2 will be done separately with no inference from paper 1 results.
Then they will be put together as your final mark.

enoilgam

HSC
thanks for the clarification. but is my original post true, that if you actually get full RAW marks for paper 2, you wouldn't benefit from the aligning process?
Aligning takes place for the whole paper. With english, paper one is out of 40% whilst paper 2 is out of 60%. So BOS aligns a mark out of 100 not 105. The impact of aligning reduces as the raw marks get higher, i.e. a raw mark of 50/100 aligns a lot more than a raw mark of 90/100. A raw mark of 60/60 in paper one could be aligned depending on your overall performance in both papers.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Aligning takes place for the whole paper. With english, paper one is out of 40% whilst paper 2 is out of 60%. So BOS aligns a mark out of 100 not 105. The impact of aligning reduces as the raw marks get higher, i.e. a raw mark of 50/100 aligns a lot more than a raw mark of 90/100. A raw mark of 60/60 in paper one could be aligned depending on your overall performance in both papers.
Tbqh I think they would align the different papers and sections separately.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
No, when the UAC scale your marks to come up with your ATAR they use raw marks and not the aligned HSC mark. If you are thinking of it like ATAR calculators where you put in your hsc mark then yes, in a way you get two boosts (in good aligning and scaling subjects).

That seems to be what most people say atleast, tbh im not 100% sure about what happens with your internal component then unless BOS supply the UAC with a moderated but not aligned internal mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)