Does this mean that Year 11 marks will count as internals for our HSC? (1 Viewer)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
"give Principals and system authorities the power to determine the number, type and weighting of tasks for Year 11 school based assessment, in line with the decision communicated last week for HSC students"

That's from the NESA COVID19 committee, I don't understand if this means nothing for me(I'm in Y12) or it means that Y11 counts as internals now based on what the principal says.

ultra908

HSC
that wouldnt make sense as their hsc isnt being affected by covid
yes but for schools prelim still matters and schools still need ways to be able to effectively assess their yr11 cohort. NESA recently allowed principals to make decisions about assessments regarding yr12, and now have extended this power to yr11 "in line with the decision communicated last week for HSC students". It just means principals can decide the types and number of assessments for yr11 without following the previous rules.

hschelper01

HSC
It all depends on how the next few months play out... A lot of universities are now basing admission off of Yr11 and Yr12 results due to the disruption:
https: //www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/09/anu-to-base-admission-on-year-11-because-of-significant-disruption-from-coronavirus

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
It all depends on how the next few months play out... A lot of universities are now basing admission off of Yr11 and Yr12 results due to the disruption:
https: //www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/09/anu-to-base-admission-on-year-11-because-of-significant-disruption-from-coronavirus
I only saw 1 university that was mentioned in the article and it only applied to some courses in that uni so I wouldn't say that "a lot" of universities are doing this. However if this does become the trend, I feel like it will still be really unfair because school assessments are not made equal.

hschelper01

HSC
I only saw 1 university that was mentioned in the article and it only applied to some courses in that uni so I wouldn't say that "a lot" of universities are doing this. However if this does become the trend, I feel like it will still be really unfair because school assessments are not made equal.
True true 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ ... This also happened last week though with the University of Western Australia

https: //www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/apr/01/australian-universities-change-admissions-as-coronavirus-disrupts-education
https: //www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8182821/University-Western-Australia-accept-students-based-Year-11-results.html

It honestly all depends on how the situation unfolds though...

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I would hope year 11 marks don't count towards the ATAR. If that happened to me my atar would have probably been in the low 80s and I would've missed my course cutoff which was 96 by heaps.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
So then that would make you a disadvantaged student, and "no student will be disadvataged" is what they said. I think that's the main reason they shouldn't count Y11 marks for the HSC, for example right now in Y12 I'm doing a different subject than in Y11 which I have no clue how you can even account for, and across the board I've started getting good marks compared to Y11 where I didn't care because it didn't count. If they begin using Y11 marks for HSC, I believe that will cause a lot of problems including ppl like me who did really well in Y12 but none of it counts towards their HSC whereas your Y11 performance where you might have experimented with study/didn't care will really negatively impact you choice of degrees.

Time&moretime

HSC
'The Australian National University will admit undergraduate students next year based on their year 11 results in a pre-emptive bid to provide certainty for 2500 school leavers whose studies have been thrown into disarray by the COVID-19 crisis.'
'Applications are open until May 25 and offers will be made in August. The university is urging students to use the April school holidays to apply. ANU will likely make 3000-3500 offers with the aim of 2500 confirmed enrolments. Students will have guaranteed spots in student accommodation and scholarships are available.' as reported by Fergus Hunter for the Sydney Morning Herald on the 9th of April, 2020.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
'The Australian National University will admit undergraduate students next year based on their year 11 results in a pre-emptive bid to provide certainty for 2500 school leavers whose studies have been thrown into disarray by the COVID-19 crisis.'
'Applications are open until May 25 and offers will be made in August. The university is urging students to use the April school holidays to apply. ANU will likely make 3000-3500 offers with the aim of 2500 confirmed enrolments. Students will have guaranteed spots in student accommodation and scholarships are available.' as reported by Fergus Hunter for the Sydney Morning Herald on the 9th of April, 2020.
Ppl with bad Y11 marks on suicide watch

hschelper01

HSC
From what I've read, they'll probably give people a choice when applying for universities through UAC:
1. Use internal assessment marks from Yr11;
2. Use marks from Year 12 (like a normal HSC year).

That way, everybody has a fair (ish) chance of getting the ATAR they want.... They also said that scaling and the marking centre will take into account the disruptions caused throughout the year....

Good luck though !!

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Internals are exams sat at your school, that your school sets.

Like an assessment task or in-class exam.

Your HSC mark for a subject is the average of your external mark and your internal mark.
Your external mark is whatever you get in the HSC exam.
Your internal mark is based on how your school went in the actual HSC exams and where you are ranked in your school in In-Class or Take-Home Assignments.

Last edited:

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Guys, year 11 results act as a parachute! (2020's)

So if you did well, you may have a better chance of getting a higher ATAR than others!

But if you did not do as well, put your best foot forward in the upcoming months! It's still on, and I wish everyone that is doing it this year all the best.

For 2021' onwards, why would the HSC be based on the year that crippled us? It's not even year 12 so at least the year 12's have a counter-argument that their Year 12 was crippled.

All I'm saying is that we still have to work to our limits despite circumstances. *It's not the situation you are given, but what you make out of it.*

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
No No, not for us since our year 11 is crippled. And that everything is predicted to turn to normal by 2021, giving current Year 11 students the support they need to do well. The year 12 students had a normal year 11 meaning that they have the chance to use their year 11 results, or use their year 12 (if they improved) as results for uni.

They are in a separate file and do not correlate to one another.

Only the content in subjects stacks through courses, like maths where you need the knowledge from the preliminary course to understand the HSC course.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)