dog off the menu at olympics (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7501768.stm

China bans dog from Olympic menu

China has ordered dog meat to be taken off the menu at its 112 official Olympic restaurants in order to avoid offending foreign visitors.

Restaurant workers are advised to "patiently" suggest other options to diners who order dog.

Any restaurant found violating the ban would be black-listed, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

Dog - known as "fragrant meat" - is eaten by Chinese for purported medicinal properties.

The ban, issued by the Beijing Catering Trade Association, forbids all designated Olympic restaurants from offering dog and urges other food outlets to remove the meat from menus.

"If a customer orders dog meat, restaurant staff should patiently suggest another entree," said Xiong Yumei, deputy director of the Beijing Tourism Bureau told Xinhua.

Act of respect

The measure has been implemented to "respect the habits of many countries and nationalities," the Beijing News quoted the municipal food department as saying.

The BBC's James Reynolds says the ban is one of several steps taken by China to avoid foreign visitors being amused or offended by local customs.

Authorities have also told people to queue up politely, to smile and not to spit on the streets.

During the 1988 Seoul Olympics, South Korea also banned doggie dishes from menus. Officials invoked a law banning the sale of "foods deemed unsightly".

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
This is why China will be the next hyper-power and also not be hated like all hyper-powers before it.

Instead of actively looking for people to offend, it goes out of it's way not to offend anyone.

zstar

HSC
N/A
The average Chinese isn't gonna give a rats ass what a bunch of foreign tourists think.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
Tell me, what part of our customs are "dirty"?
Just ignore the external stimuli.

Everyone has different norm and for some Asian people, doing certain thing is perfectly normal and customary which can be branded by others as "atrociously dirty".

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Slidey said:
Good idea. Wouldn't want Muslims getting offended about dogs and blowing themselves up, with that level of population density.
If you believe that article, anything in it, you are retarded.

I like puppies :shy: but still, the interbuttz is with me on this one. Cats > Dogs.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
wow. why didn't they just ask everyone to "integrate" and "assimilate". after all , they are in china, and as the saying goes, When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

oh wait, that's the west.....

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
bigboyjames said:
wow. why didn't they just ask everyone to "integrate" and "assimilate". after all , they are in china, and as the saying goes, When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

oh wait, that's the west.....
hahahaha you just won the thread.

Alvik

HSC
I would also be willing to try it.

I assume people only get squeamish about it because you can actually see a dogs emotion.

Well, I don't know. Maybe you can tell when a cow is sad?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Of course you can fucking tell when a cow is sad. Fuck.

HSC
bawd said:
Tell me, what part of our customs are "dirty"?
spitting on the streets, that is just un-hygenic.
not anything against them for doing it, it is acceptable in china it is gross though I dont like it when they do it over here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)