Doing a Speech, 2009. (1 Viewer)

guff

HSC
Hey,
I'm planning to do a speech for my major work, but i'm having trouble with working my concept through other related work in both Advanced and Extension one. I want to do a set of speeches on the concept of Revolution. Also, i'm having trouble coming across helpful information from sources other than books for my journal, i was hoping to find some media reports on speeches, or oratory at least (probably not revolution, we don't seem to see many these days) - luckily i heard about a new movie coming out about Che Guevara's life soon... but, no-one noticed anything in the SMH or their Spectrum liftout have they?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
sorry no, and i have switched my short story over to a speech/es (not sure which yet) about gender from an alien or inanimate objects p.o.v.. For a speech about revolution look at The American Civil war+southern general's speeches your bound to find something, i remember reading one back years ago that was done about a general and he discussed the french revolution or look up napolean maybe. I read about that too, but haven't heard anything about since it sounded so good. Sources of what speech writing conventions or...

guff

HSC
Speech writing conventions, anything. I think it would look good in my journal... I'm really hating the thing, i picked speeches because it was my strength... I have never 'learnt' how to do it...

That one about the american civil war, was that a major work from a few years ago? My school has the works from the Young Writers compilations in the library, i might be able to find it.

I thought Jervis Bay was in the ACT, like that piece of coast they recieve to keep them from being landlocked?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i don't have any speech writing conventions i'm trying to find some as well, i switched over to speeches cause their my strength too, they always end up being my best marks, and i never learnt how to do one, i just do...

no it was an actual speech given at those times, that would look pretty good in your journal.

Nah, jervis bay is huge area, thats the region i live (the south coast) but it is classed in jervis bay region. lols

guff

HSC
Yeah, i know what you mean. And it's not a commone thing to find stories about in spectrum and the such. I know the CWA give out a proforma on their idea of a speech before the public speaking before their competition, I might get a copy of it this year.

I'll give it a look. I have a bunch of speeches in the journal already - I believe you should certainly look up the old speech elective syllabus, not this years (i've seen this year's and it's crap) but Module B 1999, it has a brilliant selection of speeches, about 60pages worth. It has a pankhurst i believe, which would work well with your gender idea.

How will your point of view with the inanimate objects work?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i will consider the speech from the idea that the object like a plank of wood would discuss how it sees how humans use it for their different purposes that infer their gender. OR i will do a speech about the obesity crisis, nutrition, or even belonging, cause i'm doing speeches for our critical study. so its easy to relate any speech i do back to that, an d cause i'm doing language and gender for ext 1, everything can relate back to language. But i want to see more past speeches, so i'm going to get a couple of the showcase books to look.

We can do a speech on anything really can't way, cause i've read the rubric heaps of times now and it just says presents a speech, so it could be creative, analytical or anything really couldn't it. But idk. But i'd like to do one on the obseity crisis in the world, but idk it could be a common idea around the world or gender, but apparently gender is done a lot so i might have to scrap it.

guff

HSC
Yep, we can write a speech about anything.

Happily today i had a sudden flash of inspiration and suddenly ideas came pouring out of my head and onto the orange paper i had... which was cool anyways, lol.
My speeches were going to be (more than i will finish)
-Cuba/S. American revolution; with a 1950s' radio styled presentation, and a speaking allusion to MLK, tying in with my m. history and my ext 1 topic, Romanticism
-French/1848 revolution; with clear allusion to Rousseau and Marx, will certainly tie in
-Australian Civil Rights; inspired by Noel Pearson, and currently an issue with reconciliation, etc
-Industrial Revolution; a new idea, i'm not sure whether to set it in the past or in the present, like the real industrial revolution or the internet revolution... would involve my romantic unit in ext1 and reading Capek's R.U.R (first time the word Robot was used)
-An Intellectual/Education revolution; Randy Rudd helped with that, and it also gives me an excuse to read Dostoevsky, and would involve a little more Rosseau, Emile this time
-A New Guard speech; their idea of the rebellion they were planning - i have a family connection to the new guard (a great great uncle who went to a meeting coz his mate invited him, saw what they were doing, got the willies and never spoke to his friend again)

and my whole propsed thesis is, an examination of the power, influence and accessablility of the spoken word. Of the power of speech to influence and effect radical, or, revolutionary, change. How this power is exploited by those who have it. Sorta in there kinda. That was my inspiration and it gives me a very solid base to think from i do believe.

Hmmm, Vampires.
I too have read Twilight (the first two... i dnt think i'll finish it)
I hope you've read Dracula, I love that book.

Well, i hope that you take a very fresh view on Vampires, because it will be a popular topic! However, doing a speech, it is different, and will certainly make your topic stand out from the crowd of Vampire concepts! It's actually an interesting topic, how were you thinking of doing all this?

Have you read 'Interview with the(or is it a) Vampire'? I haven't but i imagine it would be good to read and or watch, there's a movie of it isn't there? With Tome Curise or something?
A very ironic and satricical speech from the pov of a Vampire would probably send markers sick of happy loving Vampires into fits of laughter... lol

You should do some research into the nature of Ireland under British rule, and especially the period around Bram Stoker's birth. I haven't got the sheets with me atm, but seeing as for prelim my class did the Gothic and Dracula, we researched this period, and the English were often viewed as the Vampire of Ireland, and also Ireland has a long history of Vampire tales.

An investigation into Gothic characters would be very interesting too... shite... i wish i'd thought of what id just said like 4 months ago... I'm not changing now, I'm going to see it through, I'm finally happy and confeident of what I am doing.

I hope i didn't sound like i was talking down to you, I'm just saying what i thought of and relaying it hoping that some of it helps. Although, i imagine that much of it came to mind for you when you decided to do Vampires.

How are you going to record yours? When is your proposal due?

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Oh no , you weren't wow your speech sounds really good. Yeah i have done a lot of research on vampires and read interview with a vampire. dracula, vampire acafemy + many many more (we did the vampire in gothic literature for year 11, and i always loved vampire stuff so i have heaps of books and a hell of lot of research al ready.

I was goign to do 3 speeches, all about vampires but

Speech 1; why are we humans fasicnated by vampires.
Speech 2; a vampire doing a speech about why they should be treated equally (an allusion to MLK, in search of equality)
Speech 3; why vampires should be depised (basically why should a creature by treated equal when humans are cattle)

I LOVE DRACULA best novel i have read, easily. Yeah everything is going to be easy to link
Adv. Eng: wree doing speeches
Ext1, were doing language and gender but i can link it to the language component easily.
Prelim Ext 1/ extension of the course knowledge

My draft proposal was due week 9 last term. but i think my actual one is due next week so i have to do a draft and get it checked since i have changed topics.

I'm either going to use software that i have (NERO PLUS, very simple to use and quite good) or our school has a mini-recording studio that we use for music so i might use that.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
with RUR i would look at the emptomology of the the word robot, cause yeah that was its first use. The actually word is ROBOTRA, yes i know that cause my maminka es czecky so she told me the word, and she said is a portmeatou word that comes from false life. That may be a good thing to know for ee1

Mithead

HSC
Hey!
Also doing a speech, mines on the evolving purpose of poetry, and the perceived responsibilities of the poet as a social conscience.

Anyone have any ideas about recording?

guff

HSC
Oh no , you weren't wow your speech sounds really good. Yeah i have done a lot of research on vampires and read interview with a vampire. dracula, vampire acafemy + many many more (we did the vampire in gothic literature for year 11, and i always loved vampire stuff so i have heaps of books and a hell of lot of research al ready.

I was goign to do 3 speeches, all about vampires but

Speech 1; why are we humans fasicnated by vampires.
Speech 2; a vampire doing a speech about why they should be treated equally (an allusion to MLK, in search of equality)
Speech 3; why vampires should be depised (basically why should a creature by treated equal when humans are cattle)

I LOVE DRACULA best novel i have read, easily. Yeah everything is going to be easy to link
Adv. Eng: wree doing speeches
Ext1, were doing language and gender but i can link it to the language component easily.
Prelim Ext 1/ extension of the course knowledge

My draft proposal was due week 9 last term. but i think my actual one is due next week so i have to do a draft and get it checked since i have changed topics.

I'm either going to use software that i have (NERO PLUS, very simple to use and quite good) or our school has a mini-recording studio that we use for music so i might use that.
sorry i hadn't replied in a bit - i've begun work on my proposal which is due in 13day i do believe.

Sorry, I've just come to be weary of any mention of the word Vampire recently.

But you certainly appear to know what you're talking about, and have the solid basing of having studied it in english.

I would have to say Dracula is one of the best books i've read as well, good enough that after reading it at school i went out to buy myself a copy when the school took it back.

I need to find out the names of the courses i'm doing in advanced, and link it back. Mine links into my history classes too well... and my Extension 1 too much.

You've also got some good ideas for speeches there, i like the one about despising vampires. If you can find it you should listen to the speech on the young writers CD 2007 - he has three speches (the first one is effing terrible, ditto the last) but the middle one is great, and it deals with the vugarity of the english play houses just after/before (not sure) the elizabethan era. I think you'll find the same sort of ignorant xenophobic disposition that could work in tandem with your MLK styled speech.

What's Nero plus, and is it easy to get? Quite an unnecessary question, because i'll go look for it after replying, but i was just curious. How does it work? I'm hoping that Orange High was equipment and i can organise to use it through e2... what does nero allow you to do? I wanted to add some crowd noise in a few speeches, and some radio tuning/white noise in my first speech (which is begining to feel like a baby... i really like my whole cuban revolution idea now...)

I read somewhere that the word was developt from the czech word for labour.

guff

HSC
Hey Mithead.
Oooooh, i like your concept. There was a poet who said that didn't he? That the poet is the conscience of society?

That's what i asked my teacher the other day... and we were surprise i went this far without thinking of it... Well I'm hoping that Orange high has recording equipment with its music faculty, and i can record it there through my school's involvment in the E2 co-operative. But i was also thinking of asking my friend for help, she's a singer, and has the equipment, although i'm not sure if she knows how to use it at all... I wanted to start out small scale, and use an old MP3 to record a speech... see how poor the quality is. My teacher has recomended a local music store, my mate recomended an Orange based record label, Aftershock. My mum even recomended the local radio station, or at least borrowing the equipment they use to record interviews (they must take good quality recordings).

Where are you from, if that's not too inpertinent a question. I was just wondering if you have the same distance and access problems i am having living in the bush.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
well just an update on my mw, my teacher read it and he said its more of a radio drama type thing and i would get better marks in that medium instead. So i've swapped over. But i'm gonna continue to talk in here, lols cause well there is very little difference.

Nero is free ware but Nero Plus you have to pay for, its cheap though so it should be good to get.

Yeah, i live in the bush aswell. My friend goes to your school now. Morgan Corby (that is if you go to Orange) if you see her tell her "that her clarinet buddy misses her, as does everyone". I did not know this our school has a built in radio station system, that is never used so i might be able to do it in there woo.

nmbookworm

HSC
Hey guys nice to see some fellow 09' Speechgivers. Just looking for a little feedback in regard to concepts. My speech is going to be entertaining and educational and out there, i hope. My idea was to deliver a speech that Hannibal (no, not Anthony Hopkins, I mean the General with the elephants) might have delivered to the Carthaginian army and her allies before they fought with the Romans at the Battle of Cannae. Now in terms of concepts I have almost no idea, I somehow got 5/5 for the proposal but I'm getting worried for the Viva Voce. My speech's purpose will be to entertain and educate regarding the context of that time, the little known personality of Hannibal and the power of motivation. (By the way Hannibal ended up kicking the Roman's butts even though they outnumbered his army 2 to 1).

Also, how much of your actual speeches have you done so far?

E

Empyrean444

Hey guys nice to see some fellow 09' Speechgivers. Just looking for a little feedback in regard to concepts. My speech is going to be entertaining and educational and out there, i hope. My idea was to deliver a speech that Hannibal (no, not Anthony Hopkins, I mean the General with the elephants) might have delivered to the Carthaginian army and her allies before they fought with the Romans at the Battle of Cannae. Now in terms of concepts I have almost no idea, I somehow got 5/5 for the proposal but I'm getting worried for the Viva Voce. My speech's purpose will be to entertain and educate regarding the context of that time, the little known personality of Hannibal and the power of motivation. (By the way Hannibal ended up kicking the Roman's butts even though they outnumbered his army 2 to 1).
Good choice of topic. Good to see people appreciating the ancients.

If you are struggling with concepts (and I hope I have understood you correctly), just think about why they were fighting and how they got there: you could consider the hardships they have been through (ie crossing of the Alps and the men lost during this action) and the supposed hatred Hannibal felt toward the Romans (while I think that the ancient sources which posit this are wrong, in a speech of this kind it may be necessary to sacrifice such hyper accuracy for literary/rhetorical effect) and the need to crush them. You could also have him bring up mention of their former battlefield victories against the Romans and have him use these to evidence the superioirty of Carthaginian military might to that of the Romans (once again, a sacrifice of accuracy for literary effect). As well as inciting them to anger, it would also be advisable to have him persuade them to be calm and restrained (think about the complexity of and contigencies on which his tactics depended) and have him stress the difficulty of the challenge ahead as well. And, of course, you are always able to use the old arguments of nationalism and that of eternal fame for achievements.

nmbookworm

HSC
Good choice of topic. Good to see people appreciating the ancients.

If you are struggling with concepts (and I hope I have understood you correctly), just think about why they were fighting and how they got there: you could consider the hardships they have been through (ie crossing of the Alps and the men lost during this action) and the supposed hatred Hannibal felt toward the Romans (while I think that the ancient sources which posit this are wrong, in a speech of this kind it may be necessary to sacrifice such hyper accuracy for literary/rhetorical effect) and the need to crush them. You could also have him bring up mention of their former battlefield victories against the Romans and have him use these to evidence the superioirty of Carthaginian military might to that of the Romans (once again, a sacrifice of accuracy for literary effect). As well as inciting them to anger, it would also be advisable to have him persuade them to be calm and restrained (think about the complexity of and contigencies on which his tactics depended) and have him stress the difficulty of the challenge ahead as well. And, of course, you are always able to use the old arguments of nationalism and that of eternal fame for achievements.

Thank you Thank you that's a very constructive reply! I think we kinda have the same views coz I was using those ideas already. I put my speech into 9 parts (18 minutes speaking, 2 minutes per part and 2 minutes for intergrated sound effects) These are the segments:

1. Introduction highlights the different races in the army, showing research into the particular battle. I am sticking with my original introduction as it was very strong and possessed the qualities that make a good speech.
2. Personal inspiration story from the childhood of Hannibal. When I started this project I stated I wanted to explore the little known personality and character of Hannibal, shown in historical evidence.
3. Journey so far; share the experiences that everyone went through. Once more this will display my research and create a feeling of comradeship between those listening.
4. Incite anger at the Romans from the First Punic War. One source mentions how many of the fighters at Cannae would have had fathers who fought in the First Punic War. This creates a sense of purpose to those listening. It also ‘reminds’ the soldiers that they never want to be lackey to the Romans again.
5. After their anger is stirred up more specific battle information can be laid out, such as highlighting the advantages of the Carthaginian army and the disadvantages of the Roman army. This part of the speech contains a realistic sense as Hannibal would have wanted to ease the fears of those who were scared.
6. Remind them of what will happen if the Romans succeed. For example; rape, pillage, loot, command, burn, kill and destroy.
7. Appeal to brotherhood and comradeship, this part of the speech is very important as it has motivation at its core and decides whether or not the speech is successful in creating the idea of an impending battle.
8. Appeal also to the family instincts of the soldiers; remind them of their wives and children.
9. Finally to conclude the speech and give it a spiritual and higher purpose element, talk about a vision for the future after the Romans are defeated and end with a roar.

Any changes you'd make to that? Good to find someone else knowledgeble and passionate about this era as well! Thank you!

E

Empyrean444

Thank you Thank you that's a very constructive reply! I think we kinda have the same views coz I was using those ideas already. I put my speech into 9 parts (18 minutes speaking, 2 minutes per part and 2 minutes for intergrated sound effects) These are the segments:
As I said before, excellent topic! Just thinking of the technical aspect of the speech, 2 minutes for a segment is very short, and little can be said in it. You may want to consider lengthening the segments or amalgamating the below segments into longer combine segments for the sake of continuity. As a result, you will have to eliminate some of the "sound effects" sections, though I don't see this as a problem - a couple would be enough, unless you have something in mind which I haven't considered. The integrated sound effects would be instruments blaring and the men bursting into shouts of acclamation and even personal lauding of Hannibal, correct? I think this is a brilliant idea.

1. Introduction highlights the different races in the army, showing research into the particular battle. I am sticking with my original introduction as it was very strong and possessed the qualities that make a good speech.
2. Personal inspiration story from the childhood of Hannibal. When I started this project I stated I wanted to explore the little known personality and character of Hannibal, shown in historical evidence.
3. Journey so far; share the experiences that everyone went through. Once more this will display my research and create a feeling of comradeship between those listening.
4. Incite anger at the Romans from the First Punic War. One source mentions how many of the fighters at Cannae would have had fathers who fought in the First Punic War. This creates a sense of purpose to those listening. It also ‘reminds’ the soldiers that they never want to be lackey to the Romans again.
5. After their anger is stirred up more specific battle information can be laid out, such as highlighting the advantages of the Carthaginian army and the disadvantages of the Roman army. This part of the speech contains a realistic sense as Hannibal would have wanted to ease the fears of those who were scared.
6. Remind them of what will happen if the Romans succeed. For example; rape, pillage, loot, command, burn, kill and destroy.
7. Appeal to brotherhood and comradeship, this part of the speech is very important as it has motivation at its core and decides whether or not the speech is successful in creating the idea of an impending battle.
8. Appeal also to the family instincts of the soldiers; remind them of their wives and children.
9. Finally to conclude the speech and give it a spiritual and higher purpose element, talk about a vision for the future after the Romans are defeated and end with a roar.
Seems well planned to me. I would possibly reorder segments 2, 3 and 4 so they are in chronological order to help with the build up tension and the establishment of "this" battle (present tense of Hannibal speaking) as the climax of the narrative of Carthage's struggle with Rome. Basically, this means I would have the content/theme of segment four discussed by Hann. before segment 2. Also, just make sure that you mention their former victories in the "journey thus far" (though I presume you were already going to do that).

Segment 5 is good, though I would mention, along with the perceived superiority of Carthage (as you have said - we are destined to be victorious etc) that the battle will be hard fought whatever and that the Romans are - if montrous - a deadly foe to be respected, thus requiring the Carthaginians to give their full effort to the fight on the day. This is very much in character with Hannibal's generalship.

I like the conclusion, and in the transcendent purpose part I would give mention to earning immortality in the minds of future men by the greatness of their courage and fierce ability in the coming battle (very relevant, as he is still admired as the world's greatest ever tactician imo today), and that they will be remembered as gods among men (or something of the like) even if Rome defeats them - useful because the whole ethos of H's speech is about winning, and his allowance for the tiny probability of a loss can manipulate the modern audience's emotions as it is the apogee of the speech's unifying dramatic irony (because we know what really happens at the end of the whole war). To keep with your context, I would hope that you have him invoke the gods to their aid against the "impious" [insert blasphemy-based profanity] Romans or something of the like. Vision for the future would be interesting (historical subjunctive probability meets imagination).

I think I remember that there was one remaining elephant in Hannibal's army by the time of Cannae (or was that slightly before then?) If so, this might be useful as an example Hannibal may use of the exemplar Carthaginian fighter/army, that goes on fighting against the Romans even after all his friends have perished and while he is racked by pain and hardship etc.

This is of course just advice; do with it what you will.

Any changes you'd make to that? Good to find someone else knowledgeble and passionate about this era as well! Thank you!
I too reciprocate this sentiment, and I think that your idea is brilliant. However, I myself would be cautious in where and to whom I elucidate the particulars of the plan of my mw.

Good luck with it!

Last edited by a moderator:

van.tango

HSC
I noticed somewhere in the first page someone asked for ideas for recording - sorry, I'm too lazy to trawl back through and quote.
If I can make a suggestion as someone who did a speech and got an (low) E4 for it last year, seriously consider paying someone who knows what they're doing to help you out. I went to a local library with a full recording studio that charged a very generous rate because my project was for educational purposes, and it was honestly the best move I could have made. Getting it done that way means there's not going to be any worries about the audibility or clarity of your recording and you can just focus on delivering the speech the way you want to.
Best of luck everyone!

guff

HSC
well just an update on my mw, my teacher read it and he said its more of a radio drama type thing and i would get better marks in that medium instead. So i've swapped over. But i'm gonna continue to talk in here, lols cause well there is very little difference.

Nero is free ware but Nero Plus you have to pay for, its cheap though so it should be good to get.

Yeah, i live in the bush aswell. My friend goes to your school now. Morgan Corby (that is if you go to Orange) if you see her tell her "that her clarinet buddy misses her, as does everyone". I did not know this our school has a built in radio station system, that is never used so i might be able to do it in there woo.
Ok - yea there's a fair bit of grey inbetween the two... I've heard a speech in the young writers that was more like a radio drama.

I was talking to my infants teacher and she told me she can either get a hold of the recorder for me, or can get me into a uni with a recording studio for free - she also freaked when i told her i was doing 4 unit (for awhile i was, for no apparent reason, in a remedial reason class. Until i came home and asked my mum; "Mum, why i am in the reading group with the kids who can't even spell their own names?")

I go to Blayney High, and go to orange on a wednesday for Modern History - if i meet her i'll sure to let her know her clarinet buddy misses her, lol... actually Chris will know her, if they are both band peoples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)