Doing Speech! Post HERE! (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
If anyone is doing speech post here and we can throw a few ideas and recording ideas around.

So post here if your doing a speech.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Ok I know I am way behind but can you please give me the run down on the SPEECH major .... My teacher never gave us this option.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Well the speech medium is where all you have to do is write a speech between 15 to 20 mins on anything you want.

You have to be the sole performer and you can have sound effects but they won't be included in the time.

Except you have to link it to something in the preliminary course and same guidelines as the others.

Your teacher should have given you the whole syllabus with all the different options.

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
No my teacher gave us a syllabus that she typed out and all it stated was Short Story, Crictal Response and Video. She peobably think we are not capable of anything else

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Well there's even more options there like poetry and radio plays.

I dunno, maybe you should confront her about it or talk to the principal and ask why.

You don't sound like your uncapable.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
If anyone if doing a speech post here because I'm planning to hire out a studio around the city for us to go record and I need some more numbers.

So post here if your interested

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Can i take a look at your major speech or listen if you got it on MP3. I haven't come across many speeches. Thats all.

bridgy

HSC
speech major

im doing a speech for my major. Would love to discuss how everyone is going about it. I'm having a bit of trouble with my concept and how linked it has to be to advanced course. Would love to know what everyone's topics are and any troubles they are having.I'm having trouble deciding on the audience mine is aimed at.

jaihson

HSC
Newtown ETA Workshop

Hey speech buddies, who's going to the day at Newtown High on the 20th?

jaeyon

Help! Gwen Harwood

hi all, my teacher recently gave my class an assessment where we have to write a speech on how the glass jar and another poem is valued by different audiences.

I've done about a page so far and i have talked about the glass jar in relation to region and psychoanalysis.

If any of you out there have done a similar assessment or have any ideas give us a shout at jaeyon@tpg.com.au

MaryJ_

HSC
Were any of you at the Newtown Workshop for Eng Ext 2?
I went, got some pretty useful tips. I'll post em when i could be bothered typing it all up lol.
btw I'm interested in getting a studio too, but doesnt it cost an arm and a leg?
Tell me a bit about your speeches. I'd love to hear what other people are doing, I'm the only one in my class.
Cheers

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I'm doing a parody/satirical version of a politician's speech for re-election.

According to my teacher, i've chosen the hardest because I have to place humour in a speech and deliver it.

But yeh, it's not going that well at the moment. It's really hard i've realised trying to get humour into a speech.

Last edited:

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Also got a question for the speech writers.

What is the proper conventions for a speech transcript? It was mentioned in the examination notes as some people did not write proper transcripts.

MaryJ_

HSC
Sorry I haven't been here for a while, but exams have kept me busy. About the day at Newtown it was soooo helpful for me, since nobody in my school is doing a speech. The teachers have only had one student do a speech in the past, and he didn't go all that well. I had nothing to go by, so the day at Newtown filled me in.

Some of the notes I found useful are as follows. Make sure you have a clear context. Know who your audience is and write your speech to suit them, consider their relationship to the speaker (eg teacher, student etc). Be aware of your purpose and to what degree you want to achieve it. Use techniques appropriate for a speech, make good use of tone, diction, imagery, changing speed etc. What effect do you want to have on your audience? Consider the structure of your speech. Avoid reading an essay on tape, clearly make use of the conventions of a speech.

For an A range speech you don't require the best technology, but you do need purposefulness. Aim for the top end of the time requirement. Don't be too dry, attempt to put in some humour/ sarcasm even in serious topics. Take risks, try new angles and if you use intertextuallities make them appropriate to the audience. You'll need fluent integration of meaning values and form. The persona must be plausible and sustained (if you can't sustain an accent, don't bother with one). You will also need a great reflection statement. A great speech is pointless if you can't demonstrate that it is a result of extensive research. That's just some of the parts i found very helpful. If you'd like anymore just let me know ;)

As for a proper transcript, I have no idea what that requires. I was just going to write up my speeches / debate in basic script format. If you hear anything on it let me know.

jaihson

HSC
One point the lady raised at the Newtown lecture was that "listening is exhausting". I thought this was a great thing to have in the back of your mind while writing your speech and proof reading it.

MaryJ_

HSC
Oh yeah.. I forgot about that, but it is a really important point to remember.
So how far along are you guys? Have you heard any other useful tips?

})({

God's Country. Yes, that's right-the Shire
HSC
hey guys,
im new here and i just started year 12.
im doing 4 units of english and i have some ideas for my major work. i want to do a speech or a collection of speeches. but i need to ask/clarify some things:
1. how much is the actual content of the speech worth and how much is presentation?
2. can you present a couple of speeches debating an issue, if you pose as different people? (say for instance in the case of a court trial?)
3. how much should it relate or link to a text we study in class? should this be extension 1 english or just plain advanced that we link it to? do we need to link at all??

and just on another note:
for extension 1, who is doing the individual and society? any advice for the course?

thanks a lot! i wish you all the very best of luck in your exams!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)