"don't ask me I go to uws" (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
did any one else see these bags today around the parra campus?

thoughts?

personally I think if some one is carrying them around in the street it sends the wrong message that we think low of the education standards at UWS. Although, yes I did laugh when I first did see it, I realise that there are problems with these bags being handed out to students.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Peoples attitudes to UWS really annoyed me when I was there and still bothers me now. I had a new academic I have this semester say "How does it feel to go to a real university?". It is really frustrating, yes UWS has its problems but its stupid to judge all the students based on a few idiots (who are being forced to go by there parents so just show up and distrupt) or the lack of funding the university has. I was only telling my new dean that UWS's law programs has some great practical elements that Macquarie should consider. Its not all bad and not all the people that go there are crap students. However I think it will be a very long time before people lose their misguided and uninformed biases, these bags whilst funny are bound to make it worse. It probably is supposed to be, Don't ask me what uni I got to (its clear I am so good its UWS) rather than how it comes off but it does not come off in a positive way

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Interesting.
My careers advisor urged me to apply to UWS; my first preferences was BSc(Adv) although they didn't offer me a place.

Lack of funding? They just built a $52 million dollar structure for med students.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Those bags were there at the start of the year...i have my very own and i think i posted a pic of it on here before...

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I think it's a ploy to affirm some kind of underdog status and then completely thrash the other unis five years in the future.

Go UWS

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
Peoples attitudes to UWS really annoyed me when I was there and still bothers me now. I had a new academic I have this semester say "How does it feel to go to a real university?".
People said the same things about Macquarie, back in the day.

I agree though, those bags (which I didn't see) send a negative message.
And they are not even all that funny.

L

LaraB

I agree with MelSC, except I would unfortunately say that disruptive rude smart arsed unintelligble types who ahave created/supported the stereotype aren't exactly decreasing in number, at l east in my course. At the same time tho i think there are a small group at the opposing end of the scale who are increasing.

1 - They're not funny really...

2 - They just perpetuate stupid stereotypes

As far as why they're being used, i wouldn't be surprised if its the UWSSA being smart arses since they don't exactly seem to be too happy with the Uni/VC/other authoritative person's treatment of them or the rights of students.

As far as the comments re: the expensive medical facility etc - the uni hasn't funded it alone.. Just like the new buildings. Plus - keep in mind that they are in the process of shutting down a campus and massively streamlining/culling courses in other disciplines - the money has to come from somewhere and with UWS its almost always through a large proportion that is taken away from other resources rather than only by bringing more in through whatever means...

Angel45

HSC
Now I've seen the bag (thanks for the image) I understand what it means. Oh my goodness, that’s so bad. It’s like, “don’t ask me the question, I go to UWS, I wouldn’t know the answer.” Who put it out? UWSSA? Whatever motive behind it, they’re affecting the students they’re meant to be representing (even if it is a poor attempt at a joke)...At every turn I try and promote the uni because I really enjoy it here and am doing well, and then you have stuff like this going two steps backwards! Shame

HSC
YEAH i rekon..

at first i was like HAHA.. then im like.. wait a minute, doesnt that give a bad connation?

definaletly degrades the uni, my friends told me to go to tafe instead of UWS, as they said its a bad uni...

mh.. at frist i did agree.. but now.. 2nd semster there are some pluses.. i've found ..

but yeah.. it doesnt help UWS to bring up its reputation it has against other unis... even uni's like ... Charle sturart.. have a better reputation that UWS.. sighs.......

OH did u guys know that next year balcktown ppl are all moving to PARRA campus?

Justin

HSC
yeh i knew.

All through blacktown there are large billboards erected by the council telling people to "save our university"..

Jonathan A

HSC
It is a very disgusting bag to say the least. UWS has a hard time trying to overcome the really backward thinking attitude of some and now its own SA is adding to it. This is one of the reasons why the Government introduced VSU, because before this year, your student union fees would be going to fund these bags.

Melsc - in relation to the comments made by the MQ lecturer, you might want to inform them that a great amount of their faculty members were once lecturers at UWS. In fact many lecturers around the state at sandstone/older universities came from UWS (for example, Mac, UTS and USyd).

It comes down to the individual at the end of the day. As was put nicely by someone, UWS is just as good as the other unis, we just have a longer tail (i.e. our student body is so large it includes those who shouldn't be studying at uni).

Raaaaaachel

HSC
Bags are funny and make sense. I mean you wouldnt ask a UWS grad for important medical or legal advice.

Why are UWS people always trying to justify that their uni is "not that bad." Insecurity much?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Raaaaaachel said:
Bags are funny and make sense. I mean you wouldnt ask a UWS grad for important medical or legal advice.

Why are UWS people always trying to justify that their uni is "not that bad." Insecurity much?
My dear you are only in year 11 judging by your profile and haven't been to uni yet so I don't think you should be making such comments.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
melsc said:
My dear you are only in year 11 judging by your profile and haven't been to uni yet so I don't think you should be making such comments.
Bloody North Bondiners. :)

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people i am trying to decide what i want to do after year 12 (only 13 weeks and high school is finished for me) and i am going to either UOW or UWS and i realised the major differences in the UAI marks.
eg Medical Science UOW=82 UWS=65.5 and Biological Science (the course that i am leaning towards) UOW 75 UWS 60

UWS seems to be lower than wollongong in nearly every course and UWS i have heard is not as good as wollongong. Firstly, Why is there such a big difference in the UAI'S and secondly, what is the difference between UOW and UWS.
I have heard that UWS is just as good as wollongong, however, does not have the prestige?

Just really need to know this. So anyone who has an opinion on the issue or knows the answers to my questions please get back to me. Thanks u heaps.

By the way am i in no way at all saying that i agree with the statements that UWS is not as good as UOW i have no idea which is better which is why i am asking. Thanks again.

rofl.

HSC
Are you kidding me? Blacktown people are really moving to Parramatta campus?

The carparks are going to be saturated more than it already is.

Those bags serve too functions. On the one hand, it is taking away the right from patrons of other unis to mock UWS by beating them to it. On the other hand, it just perpetuates the inferiority complex felt by a lot of UWS students. Not very smart, the one who authorised it.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Raaaaaachel said:

you're so cool

sangboi

HSC
lisajf said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people i am trying to decide what i want to do after year 12 (only 13 weeks and high school is finished for me) and i am going to either UOW or UWS and i realised the major differences in the UAI marks.
eg Medical Science UOW=82 UWS=65.5 and Biological Science (the course that i am leaning towards) UOW 75 UWS 60

UWS seems to be lower than wollongong in nearly every course and UWS i have heard is not as good as wollongong. Firstly, Why is there such a big difference in the UAI'S and secondly, what is the difference between UOW and UWS.
I have heard that UWS is just as good as wollongong, however, does not have the prestige?

Just really need to know this. So anyone who has an opinion on the issue or knows the answers to my questions please get back to me. Thanks u heaps.

By the way am i in no way at all saying that i agree with the statements that UWS is not as good as UOW i have no idea which is better which is why i am asking. Thanks again.
The difference in UAI is just due to popularity.

UAI cut-offs are determined by popularity and how many people can fit in that course. Say for example, a course has like 50 spots and its very popular at that particular uni (because of past trends and such) the uni will set a UAI cut-off that will approximately get them the top 50 kids.

For a particular uni this UAI cut-off can be higher like UOW compared to UWS this is because UOW normally gets ‘x’ amount of enrolling into a course whereas UWS will only normally get ‘a number relatively smaller than x’ amount of kids normally enrolling into that same course. So to fill the classes UWS will lower the UAI cut-off where as UOW wouldn’t have to drop it as low because they got a lot of kids that want to do the course so they just want the best of the bunch.

So UAI cut-offs don’t really determine if a uni is better or more worse in teaching a particular subject (its more how popular that uni is). UAI cut-offs is just a magical line drawn by a uni which is specially calculated to only get the best of the bunch (of kids who want to get into a uni) and still be able to fill a class.

Hope that sorta helps with your understanding of UAI cut-offs for uni. (I’m not sure if its totally correct… its just my understanding of how it should work…. I could be wrong…) and as I’m still studying in yr12 I have no idea of the teaching qualities offered by UWS and UOW for that you should ask students currently studying in that university… or your careers advisor.

Angel45

HSC
rofl. said:
Are you kidding me? Blacktown people are really moving to Parramatta campus?

The carparks are going to be saturated more than it already is.
I agree, they will seriously have to do something about the parking situation...it's getting crazy. The more 'spots' they open up, like on the oval etc., more ppl. seem to drive and it just gets even more crowded...they need multi-level parking.
I think they need to police the permit system more too...I paid good money for mine, but I just wonder how many ppl. taking up spots actually have parking permits...coz when they get more spots all these 'drivers' just seem to come out of the wood work....perhaps they should monitor the issuing of permits better and also police those parked without them so ppl. get the msg.. you can buy day ones, but I wonder who does?

Jonathan A said:
It is a very disgusting bag to say the least. UWS has a hard time trying to overcome the really backward thinking attitude of some and now its own SA is adding to it. This is one of the reasons why the Government introduced VSU, because before this year, your student union fees would be going to fund these bags.
I thought exactly that myself Jonathan!!!! You can be assured if VSU hadn't been brought in, I would be sending a strongly worded letter of complaint to think my money was funding these riduculous (and insulting) bags! In fact, I'd love to send one regardless...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)