Double degree advice. (1 Viewer)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Sup d00dz, and d00detz, I'm doing Commerce, and I'm majoring in Actuarial studies. I wonna do a double degree with it, but not sure what I should pick up as the second degree...

I have it down to;

Science, and do a major in maths or stats.

Computer science.

Economics, and do Financial economics, and/or econometrics.

I want to do them all equally, so if you have an opinion on any of the degrees, plz share it :)

Or just ignore me/post useless shit :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
maths would be a complementary subject for actuarial.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
The ones that'll provide most leverage in terms of job offers are science/computer science. Have you considered advanced maths?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
That's what I was thinking, especially as I was looking at a lot of jobs, for actuaries, and quant finance jobs, and lots requested knowledge of databases, which would fall under computer science.

I'm not sure if I have the marks to transfer to advanced maths (atar 92, first semester wam 72), but i've considered it. Not sure if I want to do the whole honours year thing.

deterministic

HSC
A common misconception is that maths complements actuarial studies. In reality, actuarial studies is more like statistics than like maths. So if you were going to do a major purely to complement actuarial studies, then do a stats major if you want to complement actuarial. If you want to learn more about maths, then do a maths major. Don't get suckered into doing advanced maths if you aren't keen on honours, as it is nearly the same as a normal science degree with an extra honours year.

Computer science is a great degree as it teaches efficient programming skills which are more vital in the industry imo. You will probably learn the most from this degree, however, it is probably by far the most difficult and time consuming of the 3 choices. At the very least, do some first year computer science electives if you aren't doing computer science major.

If you want an easy road and 12 hour weeks, then do Financial economics or econometrics.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
A common misconception is that maths complements actuarial studies. In reality, actuarial studies is more like statistics than like maths. So if you were going to do a major purely to complement actuarial studies, then do a stats major if you want to complement actuarial. If you want to learn more about maths, then do a maths major. Don't get suckered into doing advanced maths if you aren't keen on honours, as it is nearly the same as a normal science degree with an extra honours year.

Computer science is a great degree as it teaches efficient programming skills which are more vital in the industry imo. You will probably learn the most from this degree, however, it is probably by far the most difficult and time consuming of the 3 choices. At the very least, do some first year computer science electives if you aren't doing computer science major.

If you want an easy road and 12 hour weeks, then do Financial economics or econometrics.
best advice ever

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You'd also have to do SCIF if you transferred to Adv. Maths. I hear there won't be a camp next year due to the infamous '17 year old who somehow managed to get enough alcohol into him that he threw him chunks for 5 minutes' incident - so... probably don't do that.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC

cheers for this response, it was nice and logical. and yeh i figured that advanced math was pretty much the same as normal math. i'm really liking the idea of comp science, so it's good to hear that it holds some relevance to getting a job at the end of it all.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You better guide me through COMP1917 next next sem if you're gonna do comp science. I have a feeling I might epic fail it =P

aya-chan

HSC
You'd also have to do SCIF if you transferred to Adv. Maths. I hear there won't be a camp next year due to the infamous '17 year old who somehow managed to get enough alcohol into him that he threw him chunks for 5 minutes' incident - so... probably don't do that.
What? That's ridiculous. Just because one idiot decided he'd have one goon bag to himself ...

You better guide me through COMP1917 next next sem if you're gonna do comp science. I have a feeling I might epic fail it =P
Are you kidding? I'm doing COMP1917 next sem ...

EDIT: My bad. You said next next sem.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What? That's ridiculous. Just because one idiot decided he'd have one goon bag to himself ...
Well, there was that - plus the other two or three people who may or may not have been underage but still drank enough to throw up. And then of course there was that person who dislocated his knee after someone decided to jump off the stage into people.

There may not be a camp also due to the fact that most people hated it and a very right observation was made: "We could've done like 99% of these 'team building' things on campus". The cheese tasting, the trivia, the 'toxic waste' exercise, the sports, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)