Douglas Adams (1 Viewer)

UzurOger

Almost Sexy Bastard
HSC
OK i just went through some of the threads here and i didn't see any Hitchhiker's Guide to the galaxy nor dirk gently....come on how can you not like Douglas Adams stuff.

well this thread is anything douglas and i mean anything his books, movie, life even death. I know there are fans on this site i can smell you.

i shall begin with a quote on of my fav of all time

It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on Earth has ever produced the phrase, 'as pretty as an airport.' Airports are ugly. Some are very ugly. Some attain a degree of ugliness that can only be the result of a special effort.

Douglas Adams

J

jhakka

I liked the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, although I felt that the series slowly went downhill. Book 3 was quite good, but books 4 and 5 were depressing. :(

Much <3 for the superintelligent shades of the colour blue, though. :)

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
douglas adams is in fact brilliant, i shall agree with you there. i also think that the H2G2 series went downhill towards teh end, but lets be honest, it still owned over most of the other books you can pick up!!

dirk gently was also very good, i liked the first one more than the second though, but the one thing i still haven't read is the salmon of doubt collection, with the barely-stareted 6th H2G2 book, and all the short stories, i must remedy this!!

UzurOger

Almost Sexy Bastard
HSC
I had that book then my friend borrowed it for his PIP, i still have to get it back, i haven't finished the book....its been about 6 months now so I'm kinda pissed.

and Mostly harmless has one of my favourite things in the series...Almighty Bob :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And of course he died so young.
Salmon of Doubt (collection of anecdotes etc) had a big impact on me.

J

jhakka

dead cactus said:
douglas adams is in fact brilliant, i shall agree with you there. i also think that the H2G2 series went downhill towards teh end, but lets be honest, it still owned over most of the other books you can pick up!!

dirk gently was also very good, i liked the first one more than the second though, but the one thing i still haven't read is the salmon of doubt collection, with the barely-stareted 6th H2G2 book, and all the short stories, i must remedy this!!
Very true. I enjoyed the books thoroughly, particularly the first three. They made me laugh out loud many times, and I often found myself wishing I could have even a fraction of Adams' oddball sense of humour. :)

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Yeah the first three were rather funny....however after that the eccentric humour just didnt seem to be there.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I found some of the humour to be a little unsustainable too. I thought that the absurdities got a little tiring after a while - a bit like watching monty python for too long.
Tops in small doses.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
I'm going to go out on a limb as say that only the first two Hitchhiker books were worth reading. The first one was decent, and the second one was especially brilliant at the end. Nothing beats reading about a group of middle management types being stranded on an unknown planet and embarking on a systematic campaign of deforestation.

The third book was a black hole of unfunniness, with the occasional gem thrown about, for instance, Arthur's mortal enemy, and 'valiantly hid'.

I'm surprised not that many people have heard of Dirk Gently. The first one is absolutely brilliant, with Dirk being one of the best characters ever written about. There are few things as absurd as a holistic detective agency, but Adams nailed it down flat. The second is nowhere near as good, being horribly convulated and boring. Moral: get the first, ignore the second.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I absolutley love Douglas Adams. I made the mistake of reading HHGG for the first time while siting in a coffee shop - I started laughing out loud and spilled my coffee on my white shirt at the same time about 3 pages in. I soon realised that these books are best enjoyed somewhere you do not feel embarressed to laugh and their is nothing to spill, and even better if you can find someone to put up with you reading every third line out loud, as you feel you just have to share it!

I agree with whoever brough up 'Monty Python,' I think all the HHGG books are great, but you need a break between watching them, in the same way that if you watched Holy Grail and Life of Brian back to back, your wouldn't laugh as much.

I also can sort of see what people are saying about things going downhill durring the series, but I don't think it happened till after book 3 - I think 'Life, the universe and everything' is my favourite - I love all the cricket/kricket stuff and Arthur's nemisis and the mattress planet, and Ford creating girraffes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)