Dr Du vs Private tutoring (1 Viewer)

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
I'm in year 11 and I go to Dr DU for math. I find it fairly nice but I have so many people in my class that sometimes I feel like the teacher isn't able to help everyone out. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when the best time would be to switch to private tutoring for math and if I should do it. I am looking forward to doing 4U maths in year 12, so I feel like getting a private tutor soon would be beneficial as it would allow me to clarify concepts I am not too confident with early on.

Ksalu

>:))
HSC
Hi. I am making the switch from du to private this term for similar reasons. I don't think there is a "best time" to switch to private tutoring. For my case, I realised I should switch, when I was barely understanding anything in du and was just going home to watch youtube videos to understand.

(btw out of curiosity, why are you only doing 11 units for year 11? ANCIENT GANG)

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
Hi. I am making the switch from du to private this term for similar reasons. I don't think there is a "best time" to switch to private tutoring. For my case, I realised I should switch, when I was barely understanding anything in du and was just going home to watch youtube videos to understand.

(btw out of curiosity, why are you only doing 11 units for year 11? ANCIENT GANG)
I do SOR 1 too but I couldn't really really care less about it/

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC

Khan Academy has been pulling me through for the last term :)

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
I mean it's impossible to understand everything they teach you. there is always something that a person won't get

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
I'm in year 11 and I go to Dr DU for math. I find it fairly nice but I have so many people in my class that sometimes I feel like the teacher isn't able to help everyone out. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when the best time would be to switch to private tutoring for math and if I should do it. I am looking forward to doing 4U maths in year 12, so I feel like getting a private tutor soon would be beneficial as it would allow me to clarify concepts I am not too confident with early on.
have you considered online dr du? I’ve found du videos are crazy good if you’re motivated to learn math. Just depends on your teacher. Also, priv tutors for math is more helpful to clarify certain qns and topics. Priv tutoring just does not work to review a whole course unfortunately. I go dr du, and Have actually got rid of my priv tutor bc I’ve come to realise that relying on priv tutors to help w hard qns for math can increase stress during exams because you’ve become so dependent on a tutor to explain or break down the qn. I literally didn’t even study for my ext validation test this term and still manage to get a 96% because I’ve developed discipline to focus on hard questions, rather than giving up and hoping my tutor will get it done for me. I personally believe that you should continue given you stated only your friends find that the teacher doesn’t explain properly, not yourself specifically. Tbh, a priv tutor would probably charge like 8times as much as du each term bruh with like divide 1000 less experience 💀

Last edited:

dumNerd

HSC
have you considered online dr du? I’ve found du videos are crazy good if you’re motivated to learn math. Just depends on your teacher. Also, priv tutors for math is more helpful to clarify certain qns and topics. Priv tutoring just does not work to review a whole course unfortunately. I go dr du, and Have actually got rid of my priv tutor bc I’ve come to realise that relying on priv tutors to help w hard qns for math can increase stress during exams because you’ve become so dependent on a tutor to explain or break down the qn. I literally didn’t even study for my ext validation test this term and still manage to get a 96% because I’ve developed discipline to focus on hard questions, rather than giving up and hoping my tutor will get it done for me. I personally believe that you should continue given you stated only your friends find that the teacher doesn’t explain properly, not yourself specifically. Tbh, a priv tutor would probably charge like 8times as much as du each term bruh with like divide 1000 less experience 💀
As he said du vids are crazy good - he bought them from me, and you can too :) [pms]

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
As he said du vids are crazy good - he bought them from me, and you can too :) [pms]
Fr, (thanks again bro ong) those 4u vids are gonna be rlly useful bc du doesn’t do vids for 4u anymore so I can always look back on those vids if I don’t understand smn from a class

pogchampion

HSC
Tbh I think it depends on:
1. How easily you grasp concepts. For example, students in a1 are pretty bright and so can understand concepts quite quickly, so some of them benefit more from being taught harder content at a more rapid pace.
2. How motivated you are. For example, a class full of hard workers sets a good pace - something you might be missing out on if you go to a non-selective school and only do private tutoring.

pogchampion

HSC
Are math tutoring centres cheaper than private tutors? If they are about the same price, what would be the advantage of tutoring centres?
They are cheaper if you compare them in terms of cost per hour.
Tutoring centres are good because some of them have a competitive and/or supportive environment, which can help motivate you. Tutoring centres also mioght be advantageous because of the resources they have, but this isn't as relevant since we have not undergone a recent syllabus change, and so resources are somewhat plentiful.

s97127

HSC
You can find a tutor who went to dr du and ask them to tutor you with dr du resources. I think it's better than going to dr du.

s97127

HSC
so they're just going to give you written on du booklets to teach?
No only problems in the booklets. It's a better alternative than dr du because students will receive personalised lessons. Btw, I don't have a private tutor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)