Drop Economics or Chemistry?? Please Help (1 Viewer)

zukofirelord

HSC
Hey All,

I am currently doing Ext1 Math, ADV English, Legal Studies, Economics, Chemistry and Physics for perlims.

I am planning to pick up ext2 math for year 12 and don't want to do 14 units.

Thinking of either dropping economics or chemistry.

Does anyone have any opinions on either of the two courses?

with economics, I have a better teacher compared to chem but i was thinking of going to tutoring for chem if i decide to pick it up for hsc.

ultra908

HSC
its really difficult to answer this question. Which are you more interested in? what are you better at or more motivated to do?
i do both and personally i enjoy chem more so that would be my choice, but it'll be different for you.
Some objective info tho:
y12 chem involves alot of calculations so basic math skills important but also its fair share of content
eco is very very content heavy. The hsc exam involves 2 essays, so make sure ur essay skills r up to scratch.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you’re doing ext. 2 maths the Chem will probably be easy as there is a lot of basic calculations so if you are someone who is good at maths the skills of being able to solve problems can be transferred over. The calculations make up like 30-40% of the exam in the new syllabus

Other than that you need to ask yourself a couple questions:

1. Do you like writing essays or solving questions where you apply content? if you don’t like essays then economics probably isn’t for you

2. What are you wanting to do in uni? If it’s related to the commerce or finance areas then eco will be helpful as in first year I remember my friend had to do economics subjects in his degree. If it’s related to engineering / science chemistry will probably be more useful

3. How much work are you willing to put in consistently? Chem is a subject where you need to be consistent rather than cramming stuff as skills are built up over time so you will probably need a slightly bigger time commitment. For economics as it is more essay based and writing based you probably won’t have to do practice questions every week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)