dropping chem 1011 (1 Viewer)

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
im doing science, and i want to drop chem, which will mean i am only doing 18 units. the major i want to do next year does not need chem as a prereq, so is it ok to drop chem still? because i hate it.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Which science are you doing? 3970?

If you drop chem now, you would waste money since the HECS census date has passed, and if you drop later than Friday, you will be given a fail for the subject.

Also keep in mind that you will be 6 uoc behind your program, which you will have to catch up on later. If you cannot overload to 30 units in another semester to make up for the extra 6 uoc, you will be at uni for a semester longer to finish anything left over.

You can find more comprehensive rules to the science programs in the Science Handbook

If I were in your position (by no means is this program advice), I would be more than half way through this course, and considering I've come so far, I would push on to the end of the subject.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
but i am doing really bad in chem already, i know i am going to fail

sunny

meh.
HSC
You must be referring to the mid session exam? Don't be put off by mid session exams too much. The weighting on the finals are probably much more significant.

You still have a fair bit of time to identify things you don't know and get help. Start off by trying your classmates, then your tutors and lecturers during their consultations. If that is still not enough, you can look at tutoring from ex-CHEM students.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
its not just that, i cant even do any of the tutorial questions. is it possible to do another subject during summer session?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Note that not all tutorial questions are always easy do-able types. Having problems with tute questions or not being able to do them is not a uncommon thing. I do like light tutoring from past students - they can always tend to explain things better and in a way other students understand.

I can't see any reason why you cannot do a subject in summer session; however, if you do (and you should check with the Science faculty for 'official' advice), you might have to be fairly careful with the restrictions, in particular:

3. A student must complete at least 36 units and no more than 60 units in Level I courses from at least three schools

4. A student must complete at least 24 units at Level I from Science Schools

5. No student may commence Level II courses until 24 Level I units have been successfully completed.
These were taken from page 6 of the Science Handbook, referring to the science program 3970.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
oh yeah and how do i go about dropping the subject, like can i do it on myunsw or do i ahve to do it in person?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Dropping out of the class in myUNSW should be sufficient. You might also want to let your lecturer in charge/tutor know, so that if they want to do any administrative tasks they'll know.

I don't know if there are any more arrangements that would need to be made if you are planning to do a subject in summer session.

I would strongly suggest you find a subject that you know you can do in summer session without violating the rules (not all courses are offered in summer session), and check with the Science faulty that it won't before you do anything permanent.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
wow. dropping 1011 its HSC chem from what i hear:rolleyes: hehe

yeah just be careful that ur makin the right decision

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
wow. dropping 1011 its HSC chem from what i hear:rolleyes: hehe

yeah just be careful that ur makin the right decision
It's not HSC chem........it's HARDER!

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I did CHEM1011 in '02 and if it's still the same now as it was back then - yeah it's pretty hard.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
It's not HSC chem........it's HARDER!
yeah same as CHEM1031. its harder than HSC:rolleyes: i helped a few ppl do their 1011 assignment today. is this an alkene, or an ester? u tell me:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)