dropping eng ext 1 (1 Viewer)

HSC
hello!!! i really need advice on whether or not to drop eng ext 1. i'm on 12u right now and don't know whether its the wisest idea to drop eng ext 1 even though i really want to. here r some pros n cons

pros of dropping enx:
- enx is tiring. this post right here is my form of procrastination from doing my 20-day overdue enx practice task lol
- enx is a time and effort intensive subject, especially since i have ways to go before mastering it (creative writing & analysis arent things that i am particularly able to do well under timed conditions; for reference all my school's tasks have been hand-ins and it takes me like a week to think of an idea/thesis, not to mention the actual writing process takes weeks as well) so dropping it would give me a lot more time to work on other subjects
- its one of my consistently weaker subjects so it makes sense to drop (but idk if this is a factor since it gets bumped up by scaling?

cons of dropping enx:
- enx scales well; my plummeting self-esteem after seeing my relatively low enx grades is probably highly unjustified
- safer and more stable in the case that i don't want to count other subjects in my ATAR, e.g drama. I'm doing well in drama atm but i just dont know if i can ever guarantee that i'll do well for the HSC especially since its so subjective & i dont necessarily know if my marker is gonna like what i do for my performances!
- i can probably do well in eng ext 1 if i tried hard enough (although i could be using that time and effort to bump up my other subjects) and idk if its worth it to drop something that could potentially bump up my atar

thanks in advance for ur help1!!

Last edited:

Qeru

HSC
hello!!! i really need advice on whether or not to drop eng ext 1. i'm on 12u right now and don't know whether its the wisest idea to drop eng ext 1 even though i really want to. here r some pros n cons

pros of dropping enx:
- enx is tiring. this post right here is my form of procrastination from doing my 20-day overdue enx practice task lol
- enx is a time and effort intensive subject, especially since i have ways to go before mastering it (creative writing & analysis arent things that i am particularly able to do well under timed conditions; for reference all my school's tasks have been hand-ins and it takes me like a week to think of an idea/thesis, not to mention the actual writing process takes weeks as well) so dropping it would give me a lot more time to work on other subjects
- its one of my consistently weaker subjects so it makes sense to drop (but idk if this is a factor since it gets bumped up by scaling?

cons of dropping enx:
- enx scales well; my plummeting self-esteem after seeing my relatively low enx grades is probably highly unjustified
- safer and more stable in the case that i don't want to count other subjects in my ATAR, e.g drama. I'm doing well in drama atm but i just dont know if i can ever guarantee that i'll do well for the HSC especially since its so subjective & i dont necessarily know if my marker is gonna like what i do for my performances!
- i can probably do well in eng ext 1 if i tried hard enough (although i could be using that time and effort to bump up my other subjects) and idk if its worth it to drop something that could potentially bump up my atar

thanks in advance for ur help1!!
I think you already have a good grasp of the pros and cons of dropping the subject. Imho I think if you are doing a subject solely for 'a safety net,' and 'high scaling,' then it's not wise to keep it. You clearly aren't enjoying it from the looks of things, nor do you have the time to do it. I can definitely understand the paranoia from dropping to 10 units (I did myself), and I would think long and hard whether you can effectively study in those 10 units. As for subjectivity of drama, aren't all humanities and arts subjective? Overall I would definitely try to get many perspectives from people like your careers advisors teachers etc. before making a decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)