dumb things you've done on L's (1 Viewer)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
While you were learning to drive, did you have any major cringe-worthy moments that had your parent or supervisor yelling at you or having a heart attack? :D Or if you are currently learning to drive, spill the latest stack-up, close-call or embarassing situation!

in a few weeks i'm going for my P's *finally*, (no major mishaps so far but the odd little annoying situations that pretty much all L platers encounter... i.e. parking wrong, taking corners too fast/slow/wide/tight, having tons of people overtake you on the freeway 'coz you're only allowed to do 80km/hr, not realising quickly enough who gets the right-of-way at roundabouts/intersections and therefore missing a safe gap etc.)

i guess this stuff will come with increased practice time... but it certainly is frustrating in the meantime! Plus, it hardly helps when your supervisor is impatient with you... just makes things more stressful, which makes it harder to do things right!

thoughts?

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
well........im on my Ps now and i still do stupid shit. i hit a bird the other day (it didnt die dont worry)....... i ALWAYS hit the gutter wen i park lol....

as for on my L's...i always pulled out in front of people, the usual......oh and i HIT A KANGAROO! that was always fun

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
chookyn said:
While you were learning to drive, did you have any major cringe-worthy moments that had your parent or supervisor yelling at you or having a heart attack? :D Or if you are currently learning to drive, spill the latest stack-up, close-call or embarassing situation!

in a few weeks i'm going for my P's *finally*, (no major mishaps so far but the odd little annoying situations that pretty much all L platers encounter... i.e. parking wrong, taking corners too fast/slow/wide/tight, having tons of people overtake you on the freeway 'coz you're only allowed to do 80km/hr, not realising quickly enough who gets the right-of-way at roundabouts/intersections and therefore missing a safe gap etc.)

i guess this stuff will come with increased practice time... but it certainly is frustrating in the meantime! Plus, it hardly helps when your supervisor is impatient with you... just makes things more stressful, which makes it harder to do things right!

thoughts?
well its kind of funny for me actually..
my dad's my supervisor..

He's a driving instructor...

that means free lessons for me

And so far he has'nt screamed at me or anyhting... not even when i chnaged lanes like a psycho

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I have two really scarey incidents:

1. I flipped the 4wd whilst sand driving.
2. I was driving along kissing point road doing like 100km ... naughty me ... almost hit the side of the kerb and almost went into the telegraph pole.

But i admit after having near accidents, its made me feel like a better driver - learning from mistakes.

alien

HSC
lol ok the first time i did a roundabout i was coming down a hill, and our van has really dodgy brakes. i guess i just didn't brake enough because we stopped about 5cm from the little guard thing on the oppposite side of the road. then i had to reverse and all these cars were waiting behind me. it was pretty funny :D
also on my first lesson, on my first right hand turn i mounted the curb and almost hit a post box (like the big red one) :)
but how's this for cool things on your L's? my dad took me car shopping the other day and we saw this 1983 celica, it had mags, purred like a kitten but the body sucked! anyway the people let ME test drive it. so much fun. definetely beat driving the van :) that thing hugs the corners :)

alien

HSC
_muse_ said:
well........im on my Ps now and i still do stupid shit. i hit a bird the other day (it didnt die dont worry)....... i ALWAYS hit the gutter wen i park lol....

as for on my L's...i always pulled out in front of people, the usual......oh and i HIT A KANGAROO! that was always fun
ROFL!!!!!! there's some poor kangaroo family out there without it's mother. lol. a wallaby jumped out at me and a friend at another friend's place, she lives in galston, we freaked and just sprinted across the paddock to her house :)

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
alien said:
ROFL!!!!!! there's some poor kangaroo family out there without it's mother. lol. a wallaby jumped out at me and a friend at another friend's place, she lives in galston, we freaked and just sprinted across the paddock to her house :)
the kangaroo is still alive...... it jus jumped off and started eating..... as for my nerves in night time driving now - they're alive and kickin!!! im so scared of driving at night now... especially out where i live

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
alien said:
lol ok the first time i did a roundabout i was coming down a hill, and our van has really dodgy brakes. i guess i just didn't brake enough because we stopped about 5cm from the little guard thing on the oppposite side of the road. then i had to reverse and all these cars were waiting behind me. it was pretty funny :D
also on my first lesson, on my first right hand turn i mounted the curb and almost hit a post box (like the big red one):)
lol that was a crack-up! :D

i guess it's good to make mistakes if you learn from them, and become a better driver because of them...

my driving instructor (that i've recently had a couple of lessons with) seems rather nit-picky and overly-cautious... it makes me nervous! (which i'm usually not) and then i make dumb little mistakes, ones that i never usually make...

...but if that sort of caution (which borders on paranoia) helps make people safer drivers for the long-term, then i suppose it's worth putting up with... :)

it's annoying though, he picks up EVERYthing i do wrong, all the subconscious things that my parents (who are both good drivers) never worry about when they supervise...

oh well, can't wait to get off L's, the DART test better not be too hard... :(

alien

HSC
lol yeah dirt roads at night... yikes. one time a rock flicked up from another car and went through our windscreen... :(

Jumpman

HSC
my first time driving was with my dad. i was about to do a turn and he told me to check everywhere before i turn. so i did, i checked in every direction.. except directly in front and i nearly hit a car :eek:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
'Tards.

Sorry that was abit harsh, accidents happen esp to the inexperienced.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
I haven't realised until recently how crap red P drivers really are, after 50 hours we're hardly fit to drive on our own

alien

HSC
i am soooo ready to drive on my own. i've got about 45 hours but i've had my L's for almost 2 years! i think that constitutes readiness

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Some are some arn't, I know people who were ready within a week of getting there L's and others that still arn't and are on their green P's.

The test is too easy, waaay too easy. The only people who fail are truly incompetant as they do not posses the ability to operate two limbs at the same time.

Evryone should have to do an advanced/defensive driving course.

alien

HSC
i hope the test is easy. one of my friends indicated left when pulling out of the kerb :( and the mounted a traffic island the next time. she didn't pass though, so obviously it's not TOO easy, right?

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
the first time i drove on my L's i nearly crashed into the back of a bohemoth truck, if i did, i would have killed my mum, and i caused a pile up.

mattyg87

HSC
umm i didnt shift back gears when i was turning a corner, so i was in 4th going around it, and as i was turning, i decided to forget steering and change back the gears, and yeah somehow i missed a speed sign in the middle of the road, but im not quite sure how! freaked my dad out

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
addymac said:
Some are some arn't, I know people who were ready within a week of getting there L's and others that still arn't and are on their green P's.

The test is too easy, waaay too easy. The only people who fail are truly incompetant as they do not posses the ability to operate two limbs at the same time.

Evryone should have to do an advanced/defensive driving course.
Now that depends on your supervisor really. If they wanted you to fail, you'd fail. I went for my Ps and Got 89! fail! why? because i slowed down before reaching the school zone as going over 40 (even for 1km) would be adequate for a fail. They also expected a consistent drive right on the limit. They will tell you that they would be leanient but if they really wanted to they could mark you down for going over or if you are slightly under the limit. It wouldnt matter in the realk world but it is a test and money is on the line.

RTA are a bunch of theives.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Last time I drove I was really upset over family stuff and fucked up a few times. I think I've gone up onto the curb once or twice but I've never had an accident or anything.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
aww man.. i shouldnt drive when im pissed off.. i go around roundabouts too fast hahaha.. ooo bad experience today hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)