EE2 2023 Thread (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This helps out a lot, im starting to get a clear idea of what im researching/writing about Im just getting my proposal together ready for the Viva. Just one question. Im like REALLY worried that like they ask a follow up question that is like worded weirdly or I don't understand somehow what should I do in that kind of situation to not seem like i'm hesitant?
First, it is important to make sure that you thoroughly know and understand your idea and all aspects relevant to it. As you prepare for your Viva Voce, you should think of as many potential questions/follow-up questions that you may be asked as possible, and how you can effectively respond to each of them. The more you do this (including practising your responses to such questions), the more prepared you will be for your Viva Voce.

Second, if on the day, you are not entirely sure about the meaning of a follow-up question, there is nothing wrong with asking for clarification before answering it. You could ask the teacher(s) to clarify or rephrase their question so that you can ensure that you fully understand it. This would be better than taking the risk of answering the question without a full understanding, which could lead to a poor answer. This would also be better than the worst-case scenario where, God forbid, you would not be able to respond to the question at all, which could negatively affect your performance.

MJRey

HSC
I made a draft synopsis if you want to have a look :)

In a dystopian society, Generative AI has taken over the art of storytelling. It's considered strange for anyone to create their own stories without relying on the AI. Ava, an aspiring writer, is one of the few who refuses to conform to this norm and instead chooses to create her stories authentically. Ava's passion for storytelling comes from a deep-seated belief that true emotion and authenticity can only be achieved through personal creation. However, her beliefs are not widely accepted, and she faces constant ridicule and criticism from her family and society. One day, Ava stumbles upon an ancient book that captivates her like no other. It's full of raw emotion and complex characters that seem to leap off the page. She becomes determined to find out who the author is and discovers that it was written by a human, not the Generative AI. As Ava delves deeper into this mystery, she uncovers a dangerous truth about the AI and its creators. The Generative AI is not creating true works of art, but rather emotionless novels based on random prompts. This revelation sends Ava on a journey to expose the dangers of relying solely on technology to create art. Ava's journey is a solitary one, [as she faces obstacles and challenges at every turn such as with the advancement of Artificial Intelligence beginning to try to replicate real author written novels, It's very hard for her to keep up (need to polish this idea) ]. Her family doesn't understand her passion, and society views her as a threat to the status quo. However, her passion for writing drives her forward as she fights against those who wish to suppress her beliefs. The climax of the story is an intense battle between Ava and those who wish to maintain the status quo. In the end, Ava emerges victorious, but there is no happy ending for her. She realises that her fight against AI and society's reliance on technology is ongoing and that true creativity comes with sacrifice. The novel ends with Ava publishing her own book, a true work of art that captures the essence of humanity and emotion. Her journey has not only led her to discover the dangers of relying solely on technology to create art but has also given her a deeper sense of purpose and fulfilment in her writing.

also for this Viva Voce question:

"How is your concept an extension of the knowledge, understanding and skills developed in English (Advanced) and (Extension) courses?"

Im thinking mostly Texts, Culture and Value module for extension 1 English "around the ways technologies of power are integrated into texts and what this reveals about the culture inside and outside of the world of these texts" I want to integrate technologies of power in this short novel im creating which is fun I loved that module a lot. Im referencing the text Brave New World we studies I loved the Dystopia aspect of it and how it was crafted so well to ignite new ideas.

What do you think? is that a good one to talk about? I just need to figure out what im going to say for English advanced. maybe the first common module we did in year 11 and the one we did now Texts and the human experiences those are pretty broad ones I could mention.
Your synopsis looks really interesting. This is something I reckon I'd enjoy reading, and I think after you start writing you'll find ways to polish it and make it even better!

Yes, Brave New World would be great to talk about for the Viva as one of its central concerns (correct me if I'm wrong cause I didn't study it but know of it vaguely) is that people embrace constant surveillance and intrusive technologies that eradicate their privacy and individual freedom just as people today embrace AI, which ultimately hinders an individual's artistic freedom and expression to create works from the heart and soul. Not sure if you've heard, but Nick Cave recently wrote an awesome letter to fans read by Stephen Fry on the dangers of AI on artistic expression and creation itself. It absolutely blew me away, and I think it may help with your story if you want to take a look (I'll give you the link to the video here):

By the first common module in Year 11, do you mean Reading to Write? And was there a particular text you studied for that module?

MJRey

HSC
"Who is the target audience or publication for your work? What do you think you can offer to them with this?"

this is the last viva question thats going to be asked could I say the young writers showcase potentially?
I wouldn't say Young Writer's Showcase because you don't want to appear to be overconfident/cocky about your work. I'd say maybe some kind of young adult science fiction reader's digest/short story collection.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)