EEX2 - Short Story Idea..... comments/opinions? (1 Viewer)

SophxMusic

HSC
Hey guys, so I'm about to start English Extension 2, and the whole idea of philosophy/religion/atheism is really speaking to me. I am thinking about doing a dystopian plot, where basically the Catholic Church has gone all 'dark ages' again and essentially torn apart civilization. It would be more reflective rather than based on the war itself, so really looking into the perceptions of religion and 'God', and searching for the meaning of life. I'm aiming to make it insightful into the human condition, and our need to mean something to the universe etc.
I haven't yet thought of the storyline, more the setting and general idea of it, however, I'm thinking maybe it could be in the form of a fractal narrative, flashing back between the 'present day' and the war itself, and having a conflict of characters.
I know it's vague, but do you guys think it has potential as a band E4? or do you have any helpful suggestions about the actual writing of the maajor work itself? Thank you :)

aekryan

HSC
I'm doing the same thing in essay form.
I've heard it's been done a lot and very well as you would imagine (especially creative) so if you're gonna do it make it exceptional.
Also, I've started doing my research and on top of all your Dystopian/Utopian conceptions/paradoxes you have the philosophical/metaphysical side, and trying to answer 1 question ultimately leads to the prominence of a plethora of others. There seems to be a lot of material to source form however, i'd say the main challenges is not offending your marker, not making it too much like a history major(more of a pressing issue for me), and trying to limit your resources from the science fiction, dytopian/Utopian and non-fiction outlets.
Other than the work load that i anticipate it appears to be pretty rewarding, i grew up on this type of stuff which is really why i want to do it so make sure you stay motivated.

In regards to your idea, i can't discern anything thus far given the negligible information provided, however it's not as generic as you may be implying/ are concerned about. That being said you would definitely have to expand on your idea and IMO draw on some more cultured phrases than, "The meaning on life" and begin to discover which philosophers/ hopeless visionaries you want to base your work on. (besides marx)
Also, i probably won't name all my sources I've identified thus far as it would be tedious but you've GOT to start with the communist manifesto and das kapital and it'll branch (massive understatement) from there. + 1 note, don't focus on debasing only Christianity, some degree of blasphemy goes without saying is imperative in metaphysics, but tone it down for the sake of your mark.

SophxMusic

HSC
thanks, yeah I've been worrying about being cautious about the perspective on religion, especially because you may get stuck with a marker who is overly religious. Same thing with swearing, you may get a marker who agrees with it as long as it is relevant and then you may end up with someone who hates it and marks you down.
I realise that the concept of faith/religion would have been done a lot, however, as far as i can gather it shouldn't matter as long as the way I address it is original?
I'm aware of the huge amount of research that I'll need to do, and i have no problem with that, but do you think the idea is worth pursuing or should I think of something else?

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Computer had a tanty

teeah

HSC
Just so you're prepared for this, have more than one idea - in fact, the more you have the better because your story will change/grow/develop and often people find their original idea lacks real substance or depth, regardless of how amazing it is when you first think of it. Basically, be prepared to deal with criticism and accept change, because that's what's going to give your work the real E4 potential :)

SophxMusic

HSC
That's good advice, this is actually my second idea. My first was exploring the concept of the Freudian model of the human mind (Id, Ego, Superego) in a dystopian totalitarian state where they suppress the Id and the Superego to make people more easily controlled. Very hard to explain but I had it all outlined so if worst comes to worst I can always fall back on that, or any other idea that pops to mind :)

aekryan

HSC
I think you should do whatever interests you the most but at the same time take into consideration what will get the marks. From what i can gather you seem to have gone through a fairly lengthy process in selecting your subject area, and a fantastic choice might i add (no bias =P).
There is no doubt that with originality you will score a high E4 especially if your a consistent and competent student which you appear to be.
Good luck =]

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do what you want, if it's written well, you will get an E4.

Case in point: my story which you can read here http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=275546, is basically "man breaks laptop. man wants to fix laptop. but wife wants to go out on romantic date! what will happen next?!?!?!?!?!1?" but that got 47/50.

So really, just write it well - flesh it out, make it really good and interesting, and you'll do great things.

Pfortune35

HSC
THis could be really good or really shit.
Theres a reasonable chance the marker could be christian so dont just have a go a christianity for 8000 words.
The best religious critisisms are the ones that dont directly attack the every day christian.
good examples of this are the da vinci code and dogma(movie).

Pfortune35

HSC
THis could be really good or really shit.
Theres a reasonable chance the marker could be christian so dont just have a go a christianity for 8000 words.
The best religious critisisms are the ones that dont directly attack the every day christian.
good examples of this are the da vinci code and dogma(movie).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
As an advice for an EE2er.

Make sure you pick something you genuinely love. Don't be like me and pick something that you think sounds cool or will be different for the markers, cause it'll kill when you have to spend hours editing it.

I wanted to through my major work off the 50 storey building at the end :p Anything has E4 potential if you write it well.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
As an advice for an EE2er.

Make sure you pick something you genuinely love. Don't be like me and pick something that you think sounds cool or will be different for the markers, cause it'll kill when you have to spend hours editing it.

I wanted to through my major work off the 50 storey building at the end :p Anything has E4 potential if you write it well.

russ3l

HSC
How about the idea of female rights: how this notion has been globally accepted, but still does not act upon it, therefore causing females to have perpetual suppression due to the world's intolerant behaviour? Sorry, year 10 (and clueless) speaking here.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
The philosophical aspect of your story sounds good, but I'd be very careful on using religion as the basis of your story. In matters of religion there are varying perceptions of what people consider the boundaries between religious criticism and religious hatred, and you won't know where the markers stand on this matter. If you can pull it off then fine, just tread very lightly, and make sure you have plenty of credible research to back up claims you make on a religion.

One problem you may have here is establishing a palpable backstory. Have you put any thought so far as to why and how the Catholic Church has become all "dark ages" again?

mrh94

HSC
That's good advice, this is actually my second idea. My first was exploring the concept of the Freudian model of the human mind (Id, Ego, Superego) in a dystopian totalitarian state where they suppress the Id and the Superego to make people more easily controlled. Very hard to explain but I had it all outlined so if worst comes to worst I can always fall back on that, or any other idea that pops to mind :)
I really like this idea!
However, put in mind that the whole idea of dystopianism has been used quiet frequently in EE2. But if it's written well, and you can add some elements of originality to it...then you'll be fine :)
When I first did my Major, my idea was kind of similar to this....I was basing it around the Cell Theory and how humans and other organisms were the basic structure for something "bigger". So the way we functioned: jobs, marriage, reproduction etc. was for the survival of the "bigger" thing. And that's why people with no job prospects- no families- nothing- were looked down upon. Because they made no contribution to the "bigger picture" and were basically like inactive cells. It was quiet bland so I made a MASSIVE change and based it on the Ottoman Empire and a key figures (Hurrem Sultan) rise to power. Though I do still love my initial idea hahahah.

So stick to what you find the most interest in! the big thing about EE2 is that you have to be inspired throughout the whole process.

SophxMusic

HSC
How about the idea of female rights: how this notion has been globally accepted, but still does not act upon it, therefore causing females to have perpetual suppression due to the world's intolerant behaviour? Sorry, year 10 (and clueless) speaking here.
This would be very hard to do. Not so much with the actual thesis, but so many people have written about the feminist movement/oppression.rights that you would have to make it very very outstandingly written to catch the marker's attention. It could pay off, but it would take a LOT of hard work and original theses.

SophxMusic

HSC
The philosophical aspect of your story sounds good, but I'd be very careful on using religion as the basis of your story. In matters of religion there are varying perceptions of what people consider the boundaries between religious criticism and religious hatred, and you won't know where the markers stand on this matter. If you can pull it off then fine, just tread very lightly, and make sure you have plenty of credible research to back up claims you make on a religion.

One problem you may have here is establishing a palpable backstory. Have you put any thought so far as to why and how the Catholic Church has become all "dark ages" again?
Well, it would be that back-story that needs the most research. But my idea is mainly about the difference between God and man's interpretation of God. I think that my story has potential to be offensive, but after thinking more about the storyline I've decided that it is going to follow the story of a 'rebel' (athiest/scientist/other anti-church) character who has been trying to capture and interrogate a man of faith. Basically something would happen, (bomb, etc.) that would result in them being trapped in a building by themselves, and not knowing whose side will get there first to rescue them, and consequently, not knowing who would die. Then what follows would be a transition from that 'one of us, one of them' mentality and discussing their own beliefs, to slowly opening up and coming to the same level, and eventually coming to some sort of resolution (representing the struggle between god vs. science), effectively breaking down their barriers. That part also provides a handy link to Belonging :) In between all that I'm thinking of incorporating either flashbacks (to create the depth of the characters) or fractal narrative that reverts to the rebels and the church to show what is happening outside. I'm leaning towards the former, as to me the uncertainty adds to the tension of the story.
Also, the back-story could also incorporate a union of both the Catholic church and other religions - which is what actually happened in the crusades way back when :)
Just for shits and gigs, I found this website which is actually real, which to me shows just how far some people are willing to go for their faith... http://lionheartuk.blogspot.com.au/2007/02/knights-templar-21st-century-christian.html
Scary? I think so :\

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
OK, that plot line sounds better. If you can develop a good writing style that should make for an interesting story.

The reason I brought up the importance of the backstory is because the setting you've described doesn't seem like it would follow on naturally from the present day. Religion is losing power over science, and hence it is more likely that religion would diminish or be totally eradicated in the future (this comes up frequently in sci-fi), instead of growing stronger. It's good that you have taken the opposite approach to this matter, but in order to maintain the textual integrity of your work you would have to address those concerns very specifically in the backstory. What has happened to science? What was the catalyst for the change in the Catholic Church's way of operating that has engendered this dystopia? What has happened to religious diversity?

But if you can answer those then it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that you prove to the reader beyond all reasonable doubt that the possibility exists that the events in your story have the potential of happening if humanity doesn't rectify these problems in the present.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)