Electives for B Arts-Psychology? (1 Viewer)

hotChoklat

HSC
Tryin to find a uni which will let me do law/psych degree, mac uni(next to usyd, unsw and bond university) comes up as one of the choices if i do B Arts-Psychology/B Laws. Anyway gettin to the point, I was wondering if this course allows for arts electives or is it just the psych degree in an arts package? And if it does allow for electives how broad is it cos i really want to major in history.
The mac handbook is still down btw so i can't check it there and if i can get a definite answer then i can avoid havin to drive to Macquarie on 3 january.
Thanks!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yes, it is a BA degree with a psych major. If it was straight psych, it would be a B Psych.

Basically, the only electives you have are 3 in the first year, and thats it. The rest of the degree is structured so you have zippo electives (except the 300-level psych and 400 and 500-level law). It does not allow for much flexibility, which makes perfect sense seeing you are squishing two degrees into 2.5 years each.

Despite its inflexibility, it is a fantastic degree (although I am slightly biased!)

You will run into problems (as I am right now) if you decide you want to do Honours in psych, because it requires more electives than the degree allows, so you have to add an extra 1.5 years (1 for Honours, .5 to make up the required units to gain entry to Honours).

hotChoklat

HSC
Oh sweet you're doing that co degree? thats awesome if at least one person reckons its a good degree so thanks alot for the help.... seems though like its either one (psych/law) or the other(arts/law).
One more question though, is the psych degree more about people and how they work than it is about neuroscience, or is it the other way around? (I'm hopin its more about people...)
Thanks!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
The electives are what you make it; I am also interested in the people side of things, rather than the neuro/cognitive. For example, I chose Personality, Social Psych and Psychopathology as electives.

That said, they do strike a balance between all the areas of psych in the core units. This is the list of the core units. The names are quite self-explanatory.

PSY104 and 105 - these are general intro units, covering everything!
PSY234 - Social and Personality Psych
PSY235 - Developmental Psych
PSY236 - Biopsych and Learning
PSY237 - Perception and Cognition

The only core 300-level unit is 332 - Psychological Assessment. This covers the more common/popular assessment measures, mostly neuropsych, IQ, personality, organisational, and some pathological measures. Its quite an interesting unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)