Electrical Engineering at MQ (1 Viewer)

gibrate1

HSC
Hello, I'm currentley a first year student at VU and looking to transfer to a university in Sydney. Is Macquarie university a good uni to study electrical engineering or would I be better off at UTS?

jjnn

HSC
Uni Grad
For engineering, UNSW is best in the southern hemisphere, but that doesn't answer your question. Basically people who choose engineering would usually either pick unsw or anywhere else. Between MQ and UTS, there both good unis but UTS used to be good at engineering, what I mean by that is they used to be good but not sure about now. MQ isn't famous for its engineering course, only famous for law and arts and medicine, so people who usually pick engineering between MQ or UTS would usually pick based on the atmosphere of the uni and uni life. In my personal opinion I would pick UTS since its in the city and your close to everything in the city. MQ is in the northern western region of sydeny in a semi residential urban area. It is really up to you where you want to go. There both I'm guessing equal in engineering education but UTS has the reputation for a better engineering school (engineering is what got them famous) based on past rankings. I would recommend checking on uni ranks engineering school ranks website. if there equal, then pick based on the environment and where you prefer to study, in the city or in a urban-residential area.

Good luck and hope everything goes well

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For electrical engineering would suggest UTS over Macquarie. Are you able to visit both campuses sometime?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You can't really say that one school is better for engineering than another, as it depends on the specific major. UNSW is generally regarded as the best for most engineering courses, but not all. E.g. I did aerospace, which is better at USYD. For elec eng, I have absolutely no idea. Either way, nobody will care. Any engineering grad from Aus will tell you that it doesn't really matter where you study. You're not really comparing Macq/UTS to MIT. You're just comparing between Australian unis, which are all more or less the same. Employers won't care.

I've looked through hundreds of CV's and job applications of graduate aerospace engineers. As long as I've even remotely heard of the uni where they graduated, I don't give it a second thought. I look at more important things like relevant research projects, job experience, etc. That's how little employers will care about your actual uni degree, and even less so about where you got that degree (as long as it's not at some dodgy uni). USYD, UNSW, UTS, Macq, etc, there is zero difference. So for your current dilemma, just pick whatever. I would probably recommend Macq: You have a shopping centre right next door, and you don't need to go into the city, and it's a much nicer area to be in. These things will make your next 4 yrs much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)