Electromagnetic Spectrum Detection (1 Viewer)

squierking

HSC
hey any help would be appreciated....

i gotta "Identify the limited range of wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum detected by humans and compare this range with those of other vertebrates and invertebrates."

any suggestions.
(tables preferred but i will take any help i can get!)

Cheers...

Ernie.

HE WHO LAUGHS LAST THINKS THE SLOWEST

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
identify the limited range of wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum detected by humans and compare this range with those of other vertebrates and invertebrates

* The electromagnetic spectrum consists of waves of varying wavelengths. These waves include visible light, infra-red radiation and ultraviolet radiation. Blue-green light (500 nm) is the most effective wavelengths for humans. Either side of this wavelength in the red and ultraviolet areas are less effective in humans but are used by other organisms.

* A table like the one below is an effective tool to assist you to organise information.

Type of animal
Name of animal
Part of electromagnetic spectrum detected
Wavelengths detected
Vertebrate
Human

visible

700-400 nm

Rattlesnake

infra-red and visible

850-480 nm

Japanese dace fish

ultraviolet and visible

as low as 360 nm
Invertebrate

Honeybee

ultraviolet and visible

700-300 nm

Mantis shrimp

ultraviolet and visible

640-400 nm

squierking

HSC
thats the website i got, but i have to put everything in my own words though. i guess i could use the table, as long as i reference the site in my bibliography.

cheers everyone!

Ernie

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
400>380. Why isn't that human can detect UV. A as well?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Undermyskin said:
400>380. Why isn't that human can detect UV. A as well?
Yeah ok I don't get your question,
400 is > 380, and humans see from 400-700, which is the visible spectrum...

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Sorry. What I mean is that human can detect visible light, eh? And it's stated to be from 380 to 750. Anything under 380 and down to 1nm is of UV. According to yours, UV is up to 400. And according to Con. Chem, UV. A has the wavelength from 320 to 400. Um, I'm just wondering who is correct here?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Sorry. What I mean is that human can detect visible light, eh? And it's stated to be from 380 to 750. Anything under 380 and down to 1nm is of UV. According to yours, UV is up to 400. And according to Con. Chem, UV. A has the wavelength from 320 to 400. Um, I'm just wondering who is correct here?
Well I guess you have to understand that it's an approximation, not an absolute reference. If you said in the exam 400-700 instead of 380-750, you wouldn't get marked down.

Visible light doesn't automatically become UV at 379 nm, so technically they're both right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)