End user and RAD (1 Viewer)

Premus

i get confused with multiple choice questions involving this.

i know end user is when the actual end user creates a piece of software.....

but for example, from the 2003 Catholic paper:

"Bob runs a small window cleaning company. he has decided to computerise his business to keep a record of customers, accounts and other expences. Considering that bob is not computer literate, what would be the best approach for him to use?"

The answer says RAD......im confused??

Thanks!

xeriphic

I think the point to emphasise here is the fact that he doesn't know much about programming, so end user would be pretty useless if he doesn't know to customise standard software packages

sunny

meh.
HSC
xeriphic said:
I think the point to emphasise here is the fact that he doesn't know much about programming, so end user would be pretty useless if he doesn't know to customise standard software packages
Thats right.

"bob is not computer literate"
That took end user out.

"small window cleaning company"
Not structured either..

Leaves you with prototyping and RAD.

xeriphic

RAD isn't, that was the answer lol, RAD uses CASE tools which assist the developer in the development of the software, in other words making the process easier and simpler thus faster

and I think prototype isn't the answer since prototype is to create models of the final program to demonstrate and ensure that it meets the needs of the purpose, in this case since he is the enduser, that wouldn't be necessary since the users' perspective of software development as a mean to achiveve a task

sunny

meh.
HSC
RAD is not ruled out.

RAD doesn't necessarily have to be done by the end user. RAD can still be done with programmers - it refers to developing the software in a faster way to minimise cost by reusing tested and tried modules of code.

xeriphic

hey sunny is uni computer science all about this now ?? since I seriously hope it isn't

sunny

meh.
HSC
xeriphic said:
hey sunny is uni computer science all about this now ?? since I seriously hope it isn't
Hell no! Don't let SDD turn you off from doing computing at uni...its nothing like it.

Premus

ok cool thanks guys..

so basically, if a question like that pops up

the answer would be end user ...only if the person is computer literate , small project and if it is the end user that creates the software right?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Here are some pointers:

RAD
- small budget
- need it quick

Prototyping
- GUI is important
- high level of communication between developer and user

End User
- cannot afford to outsource
- end user is computer literate

Structured
- system is mission critical
- no budget restrictions
- no time restrictions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)